·
Banned
8,873 Posts
If someone is shy and kinda holding back: isfp

If someone is pretending to be shy but will just do it without shame: esfp

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just some quick, spontaneous remarks of the differences between ESFPs and ISFPs. I base my conclusions on the experience that I've gathered from me, my ISFP mom and some other ISFPs and ESFPs I've gotten to know. There is probably some differences in behavior between the genders - I'd think females tend to be more emotional.

ISFPs are more emphathetic, if someone is telling about their hardships, ESFPs try to lighten them up using humor and some of their good cheer, ISFPs emphatize readily: "oh no, that is so sad", ESFPs laugh or joke first
I
don't know about that! but that good cheer and joke is their way of being empathetic. My father can be very empathetic. their ways of empathy is just different.

ESFPs show more emotion, their teeth are visible when they smile and they also smile a lot, they are happy most of the time, when ESFPs smile their eyes smile too, ISFPs smile less and their eyes don't show as much warmth

Sometimes probably generally, but my former boyfriend James could laugh and have a good time too and when he did he meant it and had a good laugh.

ISFPs are more serious, ESFPs are more lighthearted, therefore ESFPs laugh at themselves and make themselves the butt of the joke, ISFPs don't do this but allow others to laugh at them, but this bugs them in reality if they notice it

No, they both do it. James loved jokes about himself and his non-abilities. I think Dad can be as easily offended if the joke they think is directed wrong and is bad manners. My father can be very serious if he wants to.

ESFPs are more energetic when doing things, more spontaneous, ISFPs might be happy spending their weekend doing the laundry and cleaning the house

ESFPs do things faster, they can probably clean the house in half the time than it takes the ISFP, because they can do things step by step, in a more logical order and expend more energy in each step

hahaha! I don't know about that, my dad logical maybe a little but James was as logical. They can both be pretty efficient if they want to be.

ISFPs are more illogical and their talk is less organized, it can be difficult to know what they are trying to say, ESFPs are more straightforward in their speech, and understand more about things, cause and effect

ISFPs often hesitate to talk to strangers and they aren't as good at conversation as ESFPs, because ESFPs express their thoughts and ask questions more readily, ISFPs can seem childish at times and they're afraid of druggies, ESFPs have done drugs themselves at some point

My father has never done drugs, and will never do them. my father dislike druggies too as a Christian. At times my father can be as silly and childish as James can be. I would also say that James can have a wonderful conversation. You are right that they open up less but if James wants it he can be a good conversation partner. My father can also be a terrible one too. Also James can be very assertive too if he wants he knows how to ask questions and if he is comfortable he'll ask them.

ESFPs have ten or hundred times more acquitances, ISFPs cling to one or two friends, ESFPs might want to meet new people when they are getting bored, ISFPs want to make few life-long friends

somewhat but I as an ESTJ have more friends than my father. and some ESFPs I know aren't as outgoing as you make them out to be. Miguel this other guy I know may get online a lot but he stays home more to take care of his father.

The differences are that ESFPs are Se first, Fi second and they have Te in the third place; ISFPs are Fi first, Se second and they have Te in the fourth place (inferior).

some of my thoughts I quoted you and added to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think everyone posting here has shared some really helpful insight. I'll share my two cents, for what it's worth ;-)

I thought I was an ISFP until I started working with an ISFP. Now I know I'm an ESFP. The ISFP I work with is less friendly than I am. In fact, she's less friendly than pretty much everyone else in the office. But she's not a difficult or unpleasant person. Just really closed off to anyone she has decided is not someone she wants to be friends with. Maybe that's the quick-and-dirty tip I'd offer for anyone trying to tell the difference between the two. An ESFP will say hello to you, smile at you, maybe even chat with you sometimes and genuinely enjoy speaking to you, but not mean too much by it other than to express a low-key friendliness. Whereas the ISFP will do all those same things ... but only with her actual friends. Everyone else is kinda invisible to her, except people she is forced to talk to, like our bosses, etc. However, she's pretty live and let live for the most part. Unless you cross her. I just try to stay out of her way to be honest, because I'm uncomfortable around her. But that's just me and she has plenty of friends. I just didn't make the cut, I guess. I wonder if she takes my friendliness with everyone as phoniness? Just a guess.

As for me as an ESFP, I am maybe more "seasoned" (ahem, older) than some people reading and posting. So, I got all that regrettable, stereotypical partying, running up my credit cards, etc., done in my younger years. The partying was not fun, and I strongly caution against it -- I'm lucky to be alive. Now I live a calm life and am way happier hanging with my husband (ENTP) on the weekends. I also get my fill of sensory stimuli by taking in the beauties of nature, especially watching the birds in my backyard or a storm rolling in over the mountains. Calm, quiet, and relaxed -- that's my happy place. Although I still love an afternoon of bowling or going to the arcade, going skating, etc., stuff I've loved to do since childhood. I think that stuff wears out my husband.

One thing I'd tell my younger self, though: you have good hunches about people, so learn to listen to them. I realized recently that I've always been pretty good at reading people, but I would just ignore or suspend my gut feelings in the past, thinking I was being "judgmental" or too dismissive, etc. But really if I had been more cautious with some people and listened to my spirit, I would have avoided some hurt. I agree that ESFPs are actually keenly observant of others and can draw some wise conclusions if they just slow down and check in with themselves. Just don't get too paranoid! That's one of my vulnerabilities. (Inferior Ni at work, from what I've read.)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Think it's easy to tell the difference between these two types
same with all other, NTP, NTJ, STJ types and so on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now that I met and gotten to know a couple ESFPs well. Here few differences that I noticed (I'm ISFP).

I think the extroverted and introverted differences pretty self explanatory. ESFPs are definitely better at conversing than me. more out going than me. Almost always have parties and tend to be the center of attention. Overall better at socializing and being an entertainer than me.

They seems to take negative situations or comments more in dramatic matter. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a soap opera or drama episode if they get upset.

I'm like the lazier and less social version lol.

ESFPs might be one of the few types that would think I'm a funkiller 🤣.

https://youtu.be/6_h9V_LRt4U

I thought this YouTube clip example pretty funny and how my night probably will go hanging out with ESFP. 😆

·
Registered
126 Posts
A close friend of mine is an ESFP, so it's easier to compare when I hang out with her.

She's jumps into things - I slide into them. I'm fine being alone for extended periods of time - she's not, and gets lonely easily. She more easily converses with others - I'm more selective with who I talk to. We both get "cabin fever" but she's out and about much more than I am - I'm fine just chillin with something fun to do. We both like art in all its forms, and are both pretty spontaneous. Neither of us know exactly what we want for the future, though I have a vague idea (my higher Ni maybe idk.?) but I'd say she's a bit more ambitious than I am (maybe her higher Te.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most people are really good with their firth two functions and their fifth and sixth. ESFP and ISFP have all of the same strengths. However, ESFP enjoy Te meanwhile ISFP dislike it. ISFP enjoy Ni while ESFP disfavor the function.

·
Electronica Wizard
6,677 Posts
I think everyone posting here has shared some really helpful insight. I'll share my two cents, for what it's worth ;-)

I thought I was an ISFP until I started working with an ISFP. Now I know I'm an ESFP. The ISFP I work with is less friendly than I am. In fact, she's less friendly than pretty much everyone else in the office. But she's not a difficult or unpleasant person. Just really closed off to anyone she has decided is not someone she wants to be friends with. Maybe that's the quick-and-dirty tip I'd offer for anyone trying to tell the difference between the two. An ESFP will say hello to you, smile at you, maybe even chat with you sometimes and genuinely enjoy speaking to you, but not mean too much by it other than to express a low-key friendliness. Whereas the ISFP will do all those same things ... but only with her actual friends. Everyone else is kinda invisible to her, except people she is forced to talk to, like our bosses, etc. However, she's pretty live and let live for the most part. Unless you cross her. I just try to stay out of her way to be honest, because I'm uncomfortable around her. But that's just me and she has plenty of friends. I just didn't make the cut, I guess. I wonder if she takes my friendliness with everyone as phoniness? Just a guess.

As for me as an ESFP, I am maybe more "seasoned" (ahem, older) than some people reading and posting. So, I got all that regrettable, stereotypical partying, running up my credit cards, etc., done in my younger years. The partying was not fun, and I strongly caution against it -- I'm lucky to be alive. Now I live a calm life and am way happier hanging with my husband (ENTP) on the weekends. I also get my fill of sensory stimuli by taking in the beauties of nature, especially watching the birds in my backyard or a storm rolling in over the mountains. Calm, quiet, and relaxed -- that's my happy place. Although I still love an afternoon of bowling or going to the arcade, going skating, etc., stuff I've loved to do since childhood. I think that stuff wears out my husband.

One thing I'd tell my younger self, though: you have good hunches about people, so learn to listen to them. I realized recently that I've always been pretty good at reading people, but I would just ignore or suspend my gut feelings in the past, thinking I was being "judgmental" or too dismissive, etc. But really if I had been more cautious with some people and listened to my spirit, I would have avoided some hurt. I agree that ESFPs are actually keenly observant of others and can draw some wise conclusions if they just slow down and check in with themselves. Just don't get too paranoid! That's one of my vulnerabilities. (Inferior Ni at work, from what I've read.)
Thanks for sharing this. I think you have a good point about hunches. I should listen to it more.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts