Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's been ages since I've posted in this forum but I recently came across this article/research paper documenting what seems to be a research into the lives of INTP women across different cultures:

http://typeandculture.org/Pages/C_papers93/9Barger_K.pdf

Granted, it's quite wordy, but what stands out is that (as stated in the paper):

- "According to Isabel Briggs Myers, the preferred type for women in U.S. culture is
ESFJ (Myers & McCaulley, 1985, pp. 155-157). Women with preferences for INTP are
thus the opposite of the culturally-preferred type for women."

-"Phrases most often used to describe INTP women:
• is basically distrustful of people in general; questions their motivations
• keeps people at a distance; avoids close interpersonal relationships
• is subtly negativistic; tends to undermine and obstruct or sabotage
• tends to be self-defensive
• extrapunitive; tends to transfer or project blame

Adjectives most often used to describe INTP women:
• distrustful
• sulky
• evasive
• indifferent
• resentful
• defensive
• wary
• unfriendly
• tense"

- "Of the 12 women, 10 reported feeling “different” within their families, feeling
unsupported, feeling like an outsider. All recalled numerous ways in which they did
not “fit.” Half reported strong feelings of rejection and lack of support from families."

- "Of the 12 women, 7 have children, 5 do not. In general, they stated that parenting
was important to them but that they were not like most mothers: they were more
detached, had few rules, and liked their children better as they get older. Several
expressed frustration at the limitations motherhood placed on them."

- "Most reported increased feelings of being different, separate, during their
adolescence. They generally described themselves as being independent and thinking
for themselves, but having difficulty with social relationships and gender expectations.
Only 2 dated or had romantic relationships with males. Academics were important, and
they were successful. Several described participation in social activities, always in the
form of belonging to clubs or sports teams, but they reported few friendships.
Especially noteworthy: No one reported close intimate friendships with males or
females."

Although the sample size is extremely small, I think I CAN identify with most of the interviewees.

What are your thoughts, girls? Guys/other types are welcome to comment as well, as it will be interesting to see whether we are indeed perceived as such in our society.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
People talk. Differences are just challenges to be overcome. Their problem is not yours unless they or you make it so. Everyone of those adjectives are generalization terms that I can and do defy on many different subjects. By making this comment I may break • tends to be self-defensive. Screw em' if they can't take a joke:p • indifferent • unfriendly• resentful

On a different subject, I totally love your Palahniuk quote and have read 3/4th his books. I would say you are superior to most people based on the depth of you post and the quote :crazy:

Worst insult I ever heard about Palahniuk, he ripped off Vonnegut's style. I told the bookstore worker that told me that "as a reader you are unable to be progressive."• wary• unfriendly• defensive• distrustful• resentful

·
Registered
672 Posts
"According to Isabel Briggs Myers, the preferred type for women in U.S. culture is
ESFJ (Myers & McCaulley, 1985, pp. 155-157). Women with preferences for INTP are
Thank goodness for that. Frankly, when I look around me at supposedly "culturally-preferred" types....well....

is basically distrustful of people in general; questions their motivations
Yep

keeps people at a distance; avoids close interpersonal relationships
Yep

is subtly negativistic; tends to undermine and obstruct or sabotage
Not intentionally...honest.....hmmm....

tends to be self-defensive
sdjlgajritjeoiuaoiquwijfsd;kjfahemmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay then yep.

extrapunitive; tends to transfer or project blame
When I was a kid, yep. But in my job such attitude gets you sacked. So I quickly got it out of myself, though it sticks in my craw like "Smeghead" to Kryten.

Adjectives most often used to describe INTP women:
• distrustful
• sulky
• evasive
• indifferent
• resentful
• defensive
• wary
• unfriendly
• tense"
Have to say - although we may not be actually feeling that way, it is the way we come across.

"Of the 12 women, 10 reported feeling “different” within their families, feeling
unsupported, feeling like an outsider. All recalled numerous ways in which they did
not “fit.” Half reported strong feelings of rejection and lack of support from families."
Ouch. I tell myself I don't care, but I sometimes wonder.

"Of the 12 women, 7 have children, 5 do not. In general, they stated that parenting
was important to them but that they were not like most mothers: they were more
detached, had few rules, and liked their children better as they get older. Several
expressed frustration at the limitations motherhood placed on them."
Can't comment. Not a mother, and not likely to be. Kids turn me cold, mostly.

Most reported increased feelings of being different, separate, during their
adolescence.
Oh yeah.

Academics were important, and
they were successful.
I wasn't, strangely.

Several described participation in social activities, always in the
form of belonging to clubs or sports teams, but they reported few friendships.
Only because my parents made me, to try and encourage me to "mix". Chuh.

No one reported close intimate friendships with males or
females."
Fleeting, but fairly close friendships with a few girls, one male friendship endured and became a husband.

I like reading stuff like this as they keep it beautifully simple. Haven't got my head around the psychological terms yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops sorry about that then. Thanks for letting me know, Splash. Haven't been to the forum in ages, so I guess I'm not surprised.

And nothingnew, I know! I much prefer Palahniuk's writing style to Vonnegut's though. [email protected] what you told the bookstore worker :laughing:

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
All the NTP women I've known have used lots more Fe than the NTP men I have known. I also feel the social expectation being an INFP male. I'm sure you've heard.

Reactions: marybluesky

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
All I gotta say is, if anyone finds themselves with an INTP woman, she's a keeper... cuz they themselves don't know what a lucky gem they have should they not recognize or appreciate her.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I wonder what makes you think it'd be any different from INTP men or solely limited to women, since quite frankly, it most likely is not.

Only raising the point due to special emphasis put on women in the title/OP.

At least for me it isn't any different than described in the passages provided. Granted, I've a slightly more positive outlook than the all doom'n'gloom they seem to portray.

EDIT: God damn necromancers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my current difficulty of being an intp woman is that i want another intp woman as my best friend (very hard to find because we are all, here, sitting at our computers doing research)...

right now my best friend is, literally, a prostitute that slept with my ex-boyfriend, so i think i deserve an upgrade. haha.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
my current difficulty of being an intp woman is that i want another intp woman as my best friend
Usual suspect list:
@Ista @Ablysmal @Bazinga187 @Tophthetomboy @Jennywocky @Snakecharmer @Promethea @badgers @Wasp @Valiums @LaudaGirl @b3th @OMG WTF BRO

and the list goes on... I should stop... I'm gonna get murdered for triggering a mention notification unnecessarily.

Drop them a PM and say hi. They are wonderfully fantastical advice givers. If they have the time, they will take apart whatever you have to say, then piece by piece give you a potential rundown on what to do next... that's IF they have the time, and a possible answer.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Gee, thanks Qingdom. l'll totally be your friend.
l have to out myself as ENTP though.

l'm not a prostitute but l do have a certain affinity for the high class hooker of the 1990s.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
my current difficulty of being an intp woman is that i want another intp woman as my best friend (very hard to find because we are all, here, sitting at our computers doing research)...

right now my best friend is, literally, a prostitute that slept with my ex-boyfriend, so i think i deserve an upgrade. haha.
Well, if your goal is to learn about how to be self-employed and manage your finances, I'm sure she could coach you on the tax laws. :D

-------------

EDIT: Regarding the OP, btw, they're quoting a study from 1985 (that's almost thirty years ago!) which is based on data for the 30 years before that, in a culture where women weren't regularly even working outside the home in male-type jobs until the late 60's and 70's.

Of course INTP women did not fit the female cliche of what a "happy woman" was. And had to behave like men to get ahead in their career. And often found themselves irritated and put upon by social detractors. They were the first wave of femininists and had to be tough-skinned, assertive, cranky, bold, and dismissive of criticism in order to succeed. Note that the preferred type of woman in the culture at the time was ESFJ.

- "According to Isabel Briggs Myers, the preferred type for women in U.S. culture is
I think the study is bunk, in terms of applying it to today's culture. A new one would be in order, and I doubt it would be so extreme even if some tendencies might remain. Our culture is more accepting and flexible.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
The only problems I have run into with understanding an INTP woman in person were that I expected her to be emotional and I expected her to not just be a female version of me. I suppose I can blame society for that or myself for me being an unintentional sexist.

My Extroverted friend seems to really really like them though. I personally prefer dating non INTPs or non F Extroverts, but thats just me. INTPs usually lack the stuff I find attractive about the non F Extroverts.

By the way, the list of negative attributes in the OP (or at least i saw them as such) for INTP women can be said about both genders for most Introverts of multiple types.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

i'm an introvert, and lsi; not quite an intp but i used to think i was and i relate quite a bit, well, not with the prostitute best friend part : P buuut.. so, actually all of the friends i've had with exception to one current enfj, have been people who i first met online. there are various ways to meet local people online, get to know them a little before the whole awkward irl thing. you can meet someone who is compatible enough so that the awkward irl thing isn't as painful as it could be with someone who doesn't get you.

the two female friends i have, we started out online friends. i met one through okcupid (i used it to meet friends, not dates), and the other, well, actually i met her -through- an online friend to be more accurate. we mainly just talked online until we were comfortable enough to hang out.

i'm not much of a 'hang out' person unless theres alcohol, or a specific purpose for hanging out, like an event or activity we can mutually participate in. just sitting there forcing conversation isn't going to happen with me. i'd rather be with my laptop, talking to people online instead of having them stare blankly into my face until i say something. x_x

the enfj and i get along easy.. he just randomly does the talking and i can zone out and he will keep on, unfazed by the fact that i'm too introverted and socially not giving a fuck to keep the flow.

Reactions: Kasatka

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think the study is bunk, in terms of applying it to today's culture. A new one would be in order, and I doubt it would be so extreme even if some tendencies might remain. Our culture is more accepting and flexible.
Yes! I agree!

And adding onto that, I don't think we should be so hasty as to say that generally the whole male (or female) population prefers one type or dislikes one type. Relationships are made on an individual level, not on a type level.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Don't worry, here's a lesson from an NT girl on how we can become the desirable SF woman. I find this hilarious for some reason.

(I do realize that the entire straight male population does not go for just one type of girl. But the media does a great job of making many women think they have to aspire a to certain look and type to be attractive.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts