Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, how do ya'll balance your dreamer ideals with reality?

With out being too specific, I find often find that the high ideals I dreamed of for my life often do not play out as I intended, and this can lead me down a pretty pessimistic path. Maybe my dreams were unachievable or I didn't apply enough initiative, but either way it's tough when you come to that realization.

So how do others deal? It's tough falling back down to earth, so how do you regain your wings and get moving forward again?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I just tap into myself (my inner life, hah..in other words 'intuition') further and try to find more answers from them. It's like a process of further opening my mind, trying to see possibilities I've never thought of before and try to see how I make them manifest in my life.

Of course this answer doesn't really sound that practical, I'm being me. Maybe someone else can explain his or her input better.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I've tried not to dream. It hurts too much to come back to reality, where people don't love as completely, people don't feel as deeply, and they don't seem to want to. But without dreams, life is so dull. Pointless. So I dream. I fall. Dream again. Fall again. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A snap of the finger to the ear, a physical intrusion from a friend that misunderstands my daydreaming, or reasoning to stay present will keep me present and grounded. At least until something sparks my imagination again :wink:

Seriously, I can turn off though. It just requires a little bit of discipline to keep yourself focused. Usually, I am thinking or feeling something when I'm not dreaming. If I'm dreaming, I can feel, but if I think, it's like putting a music player on pause. I learned how to focus from spending 2 1/2 hours out of a high school day to learn about computers (logic intensive) for three years.

Here's an example: Today when my friend and I were in a car at a traffic light, we were just talking about random things, with no music playing. After about half a minute, a car comes up with tinker bell on it. I was in the middle of saying something, and I look and see tinker bell in a black outline, so I just say "tinker bell!" out of nowhere, in the middle of saying a sentence. :crazy: I started laughing and lost my train of thought. Then when I saw that he didn't care much, I thought about it and just went back to continue conversing.

In order to keep my goals and values in line, I set long-term goals or extremely short-tern goals. I know I don't work well with due dates (now) so I just give myself a time to start something and just do it.

That's how I deal, and dealt. Sorry for the stop-and-go of the conversation, that's how I work when I'm more open apparently.:mellow:

Oh, yeah. I used logic and learning to back up my ideals. It was (and still is) a strange place to be in, but it's what I need to do to do what I want to do.

I went really in-depth there..Hope you found this useful, PhotoBrew.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Hrm? I'm not dead, yet.

I have plenty of time to make all my dreams come into fruition. I have no reason to get off my little spaceship, because I haven't seen what I am not capable of doing, yet.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I've tried not to dream. It hurts too much to come back to reality, where people don't love as completely, people don't feel as deeply, and they don't seem to want to. But without dreams, life is so dull. Pointless. So I dream. I fall. Dream again. Fall again. *sigh*
I've felt that way too

·
Registered
752 Posts
Interesting topic.

I think about this all the time. Musics helps tons, but what I also do to shift the focus from Dream to reality is to remind myself of the situation i'm in. I guess my thought pattern is normally like this:

1. "If only this would ever happen..."

2. "Stop it, Roze. You know this will never happen. Look at yourself, and then look at this world."

3. "Yeah, I know...but I can't help but cling--"

4. "Stop being stupid. This is reality; get over it."

·
Registered
897 Posts
Too often. Many times.

Is this why that INFPs are the type that most prone to suicidal thoughts, because of perhaps feeling this "Real-world" is just not 'adequate' enough for their lush & rich imaginations, ideas, etc.
that they always got 'held back' or even many times 'stopped and crushed' by many people (or circumstances) in this so-called Reality ?

I somehow see the deep connection between being an INFP (essentially an Idealist/Dreamer) with being suicidal.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Today, step outside of the fear. Put down the newspaper and remember that the media thrives off of fear and destruction. How often do you see miracles making the front page? Rarely. The front page is strictly reserved for the worst of the worst. Ask yourself how much you have allowed the negativity to become a part of your own personal system. You have the creative power to do anything you wish, whether someone told you it was impossible or not. Believe in the possible. Believe in the positive. Believe in the highest and most outlandish dream. Sit back and watch what happens. The Universe will grant you the closest thing available. Finally, remember that potential isn’t defined by laws, it’s defined by you.

Source: Limitation: It's only real if you believe it's real - Virginia Beach Metaphysical Spirituality | Examiner.com

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I always think that there is always time to accomplish whatever I've wanted to do. There are dreams that I think I can never make reality but it has never clouded my mind so much that the impact of reality was devastating. I just move on and take things in one day at a time while trying to figure out how to keep going.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Today, step outside of the fear. Put down the newspaper and remember that the media thrives off of fear and destruction. How often do you see miracles making the front page? Rarely. The front page is strictly reserved for the worst of the worst. Ask yourself how much you have allowed the negativity to become a part of your own personal system. You have the creative power to do anything you wish, whether someone told you it was impossible or not. Believe in the possible. Believe in the positive. Believe in the highest and most outlandish dream. Sit back and watch what happens. The Universe will grant you the closest thing available. Finally, remember that potential isn’t defined by laws, it’s defined by you.

Source: Limitation: It's only real if you believe it's real - Virginia Beach Metaphysical Spirituality | Examiner.com
I love that article! have shared it on my FB.
thanks for sharing such beautiful insights, right when I'm feeling a bit depressed lately :)

Reactions: Lad

·
Banned
2 Posts
I dream alot and there's problably about a thousand things I would like to do. Although, I rarely follow my plans and I rarely set any dates or deadlines for what I'm planning to do, if that's cleaning my apartment or leaving the country for some years doesn't matter.

I'm fine with this. I never take any of my dreams too seriously, I'm happy with keeping the doors open and having a lot of oppertunities, taking the day as it comes and so on. I hope I'll take the steps to do things I dream to do, however I believe it'll turn up OK no matter how I make my desicions in life.

niki said:
I somehow see the deep connection between being an INFP (essentially an Idealist/Dreamer) with being suicidal.
Bullshit.

No homo,
Mr. ******

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I always think that if you stop fighting for your dreams your life becomes unuseful and then you can just as well die. So I never stop fighting for my dreams even though the set backs are hard because it's the only way I can live.
Damn I love the insights of you INFP's always saying the right thing at the right time! That's brilliantly true.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I always think that if you stop fighting for your dreams your life becomes unuseful and then you can just as well die. So I never stop fighting for my dreams even though the set backs are hard because it's the only way I can live.
I'm not sure if it's just me. But having dreams (plans in life) and actively fight for them just doesn't seem too much INFPish to me. I'd say that's very much J instead of P, or do you disagree?

To actually struggle (fighting) to keep up to your dreams is pretty much the opposite of the spontaneous and flexible way of life I feel comfortable with and which litteraly is what P stands for. Correct me where you think I'm wrong.

No Homo,
Mr. ******

1 - 17 of 17 Posts