Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So, I know that there are some other threads about music, but I wanted to create a different one. Music is so much more than just entertainment, especially for us the helpless romantic dreamers. It is something like a religion, a wonderful way to express our selves and to influence people's minds and souls. Back in the day (mainly in the sixties) there was a general belief that music could change the world. Nowadays most people have lost their faith in the life-changing aspect of music, but there are still some believers. Music changed my life and helped me realize what I really am, music was there for me when I was alone and in pain.
I would appreciate it if you answered to some of my questions:
1) How did music influence you and the way you view life?
2) Which artists are the ones who influenced you the most?
3) What music genres are your favourite ones?

I hope you find my thread interesting. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,214 Posts

Music seems to always relate to my current situation. It sheds light either on what I'm feeling or it provides me with hope that my current state isn't the end. I guess it keeps me going when I just want everything to end, in a way.

Lindsey Stirling. Her entire life journey is just so inspiring, and she reflects these experiences that caused her to struggle or rise above these struggles in her music, especially her second album (the chorus to "Shatter Me" is actually in my sig because it is so important to me, especially now). She battled depression and anorexia and college, and her overcoming it is so inspiring. She failed on America's Got Talent, but she didn't give up past that (Piers Morgan even sent her an apology recently for what he said to her on the show, and admitted that he was wrong for calling her untalented). Through thick and thin, she stayed strong in her faith, and that is super admirable in my eyes. I would struggle deeply with all of these things that she overcame, so I guess she's kind of a role model for me. Sharing her emotions and experiences through her music is just so amazing, and knowing that her songs do help me keep my head above the water when life gets tough is just comforting.

Classical is probably my favorite (Lindsey's albums are classified as classical, but they have electronic elements in them, too). I also tend to gravitate towards classic rock and some metal. Then there's the odd video game soundtrack or two.

·
Registered
589 Posts

I guess music for me was really important when I was younger helping me better put words to my emotions, feeling a kind of comfort knowing I'm not the only one. Though I ''truly'' listen to music seldom these days, I still have those songs when I hear them they bring me back to past stories of myself; smelling the streets walked on with the odour of street food feeding the air; feeling the touch of the sea breeze or the early morning dew when just stepping in the fresh open air; and bustling up again with the excitement of ancient times or becoming calmness myself.

2) Which artists are the ones who influenced you the most? & 3) What music genres are your favourite ones?

Most influential artist would be Nujabes for me, also because he brought me to so many other artists that are wonderful. Shad k, Bop Alloy, Cyne, and many many more. My favourite music I would still describe as Jazz/Hiphop although lately I like sometimes to just listen to some jazz or some nice Spanish summer songs, depending on my mood.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess it really depends on what kind of music I listen to but I go through music phases where I listen to a certain group or singer and that's all I know, it helps me cope with life when I don't have anyone to turn to but it keeps me from sharing my feelings. Eventually I figured opening my opinion on music while still keeping the ones I like the most to my heart is better because then, I can let people who have the same interests in and still enjoy the other stuff that others don't get.

Their music and their story makes it real to me. That the glamorous life is also a lot of real life struggles.

For those who know Korean music, I'm a big fan of Epik High, Younha and TVXQ (leaning more towards their Japanese music, Tohoshinki). They're not just performers, they've been around for a long time and they struggled like we all did(Yunho from TVXQ was poisoned by anti-fans and their band broke apart, Tablo from Epik High was threatened by netizens and Younha suffered abuse from her company) and they pulled through. That's what different about them compared to other kpop idols.
More than their music, their story really compels me and I love them very much for that reason.

I love everything, I don't really have a preference but if I have to fall back on one, it's classical music or instrumental. Because you don't have to know the lyrics, it's just a sound that reaches you.

My favourite piece is Jupiter, the bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I love this idea. Thanks!!

1) I'm not sure I'd say music has changed me. It's more like, it works with what's already there. For example - I'm feeling one way and I put on some Azealia Banks. It seems to remind me of something else, which puts my focus on that, but I wouldn't say it changed it as much as it helped bring something out. It's like knowing you want ice cream and then stumbling upon an ice cream parlor; the intent is there but this helps makes it moreso a reality, if you get me.

2) I'll respond with which I find the most "triggering": Utro (a Russian band that KICKS. ASS. They are so moody and just SRTHVB. First heard them on Spotify,) Nirvana, Children of Bodom, Interpol, Jeff Buckley, Azealia Banks..I really don't want to stop the list here because I bet there are more ._. But these are musicians I go to consistently. I may add on later.

3) Hm..the ones I listen to most frequently as of late include alternative rock, grunge, and punk. I save metal for when I'm feeling super intense. I love Death Grips with a red hot, could-beat-the-sun-in-a-heat-contest passion so I'll include industrial rap. I've also been on some indie-pop kick (Grimes, Foster the People, Robots in Disguise, and Cibo Matto, mostly) but that's not what I'd consider a staple.

Again, love this thread :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not really sure if music influenced me or the way I view life. Most of the time my mood 'decides' what kind of music I'm listening to. Quite difficult to write it down in words...When I feel a certain way, my brain tells me "Oh you feel that way, you need to listen to that artist"..Something like that.
Currently I listen/dance to a lot of Surinam music, like The Mighty Botai & Alberto Gemerts, and also reggae music. Those two music genres really contribute to my current mood.

I listen to almost everything. But lately, I mostly listen to a lot of reggae (Peter Tosh, Black Uhuru), Surinam music, black/folk metal (Satyricon, Falkenbach) and soul music.

Great thread, and thanks for mentioning artists in your posts @Pensive Firecat @Salad Days @Named @infiniteli ! Will check them out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts