·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Integral Yoga, Islam, Taoism, Zen

Christianity**, Rational, Scientific, Logical schools

Main Principles

Cosmological unity

Life is a journey towards eternal realities that are beyond the realities that surround us

Circular view of the universe, based on the perception of eternal recurrence

Inner-world dependent

Self-liberation from the false "Me" and finding the true "Me". The highest state is believed to be a state of 'no-self', where neither self-worth nor self-importance have any real meaning.

Behavioral ethics

Feeling oneself as an element of the Divine

Life is a service (to the God, money, business, etc.)

Linear view of the universe and life, based on the Christian philosophy where everything has its beginning and the end.

Outer-world dependent

Self-dedication to the goal (life vision, success, happiness, etc.)

http://www.1000ventures.com/business_guide/crosscuttings/cultures_east-west-phylosophy.html

·
MOTM June 2012
9,343 Posts
This makes me want to play Eastern Minds now. But I don't know how to set it up on my computer. ;(.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
So the idea of the mind starting out trapped and becoming free is circular? Nonsense. It is, however, true that ancient Hinduism looked on the universe as a an endless repetition of cycles, seeing how summer let to winter, day to night and life to death, but this is looked on as a problem and not how the mind should work.

Anyway, while I like the website and it shows some general trends it isn't really possible to juxtapose Western and Eastern philosophy like this, first of all because both are too broad and diverse to make clarity out of, and secondly because the narrative should be told differently for Asian religions since their nature, use of concepts and aim are so different.

Also, Western philosophy is the scientific method? C'mon, that list is so random :D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Dafuq happened to the original post?!?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Dafuq happened to the original post?!?
She is a Westerner. She improved it because we make things better all the time.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
She is a Westerner. She improved it because we make things better all the time.
"Improved"? More like changed completely to something totally different. There's no mention of the game now, when it was the sole focus of the OP?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
"Improved"? More like changed completely to something totally different. There's no mention of the game now, when it was the sole focus of the OP?
I haven't read the original post. I just wrote a joke. Curious. @Simplify why did you do this?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I haven't read the original post. I just wrote a joke. Curious. @Simplify why did you do this?
I understood you were joking :) Just found it really weird someone would change a post so completely... I thought the OP was an interesting heads-up on an interesting game, now all you have is some schizoid mumbo-jumbo about various philosophies.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thank you Simplify.

Most spiritual progression must inherently begin with the self. Work within firstly and foremostly. This is not self centred but centred upon self. It is essential that this self loop of self love is accomplished, before we can become effective in the world.

When we meet others who have done the same, these loops of love continue, around larger groups, until eventually....

The premise within the Eastern philosophy bears this out.

In the West, it is different in its expression. It is there in its Jesus writings, but gradually is less expressed in this way within the religions and society of the West. In is much more compartmentalised. We are fairly well separated , from our own Source through religious intermediaries, and from effective participation in society by the same top down layers of authority. All of our lives are compartmentalised, and we are increasingly separated from all that is really meaningful.

It is completely possible to cut and chop up this viewpoint as shown in the above posts, but these actions are easy to do. It is easy to chop and stomp on INFP sensitivities. Harder, is to see that the above viewpoints actually have some relevance, and also that by the same broad process, of flexibility of concepts, that other posters here might have some relevance also. There is rarely , on this sort of deep subject, only one absolute truth.

Reactions: sarek
1 - 9 of 9 Posts