Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story: I can't stop myself from thinking all the time. I jump from one topic to the next. I can't stay focused enough to keep less than 10 tabs open at a time. I always go from one tab to the next, constantly switching. It really bothers me that I can't stay on task, I have to be constantly switching between things. During this post alone I have switched to my Tumblr tab, to deviantART, to check washing (for science class... hehe), to tumblr, then back to here. Then repeat. I seriously cannot stay focused, and I don't think the caffeine is helping. But I've been this way for two days now (and I have a regular intake of caffeine equivalent to about 1 1/3 cups of coffee). I think it's because of sleep. I've been getting more sleep in the past two days because my mom's been drugging me with Benadryl. While I have more sleep, I find that my brain tends to become... a bit Ne-hyper, maybe. I don't know.

Short story: I find that my brain becomes crazy and won't focus when I get more sleep.
A. Does anyone else experience something like this?
B. Or does sleep affect you in a different way?
C. Does anything affect you like sleep does to me?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Long story: I can't stop myself from thinking all the time. I jump from one topic to the next. I can't stay focused enough to keep less than 10 tabs open at a time. I always go from one tab to the next, constantly switching. It really bothers me that I can't stay on task, I have to be constantly switching between things. During this post alone I have switched to my Tumblr tab, to deviantART, to check washing (for science class... hehe), to tumblr, then back to here. Then repeat. I seriously cannot stay focused, and I don't think the caffeine is helping. But I've been this way for two days now (and I have a regular intake of caffeine equivalent to about 1 1/3 cups of coffee). I think it's because of sleep. I've been getting more sleep in the past two days because my mom's been drugging me with Benadryl. While I have more sleep, I find that my brain tends to become... a bit Ne-hyper, maybe. I don't know.

Short story: I find that my brain becomes crazy and won't focus when I get more sleep.
I experience this nearly everyday. Sleeping does not affect it in my case. I suggest trying to reduce the caffeine intake. I stopped drinking coffee a while back and have seen improvements.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I have absolutely the worst sleep habits ever. I would probably focus way more if I was either consistent with them or went to bed earlier but I cannot shut my brain down unless it wants to be shut down.

Probably 2 days a week I only sleep 3-4 hours. The other 4 are probably an everage of 6, and then one weekend day I sleep really late.
Bad habit, but I guess it'll change now that it's spring since I can actually go outside now.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I wish I could say that after a glorious, restful night, I wake up fully recharged ready to take on the world :D

...but the realilty is that I only get about 2-5 hrs of sleep every night due to my bad habit of deciding to research about anything and everything possible at 2am. When the rare event occurs that I sleep for a good 8 hrs or so, I use my extra energy to on full internet exploration mode... jeez I'm counterproductive :/

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't like sleeping because it makes me feel like I'm wasting time that I could be using discovering new things/creating stuff. It just feels like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. I account this partly to globalization and the internet. I have to constantly be aware and get exposed to new impulses.

I can usually (with a few exceptions of course, I'm no super-human...) go to sleep however, since I've stopped drinking coffee and started taking melatonin every night. I drink green tea with ginseng every morning and two other cups of green tea through the day, which also provides a boost, except that it seems to be more cerebral and less jittery than coffee. (+ it's healthy) 6 hours before bed I stop drinking beverages containing caffeine (tea) and switch to chamomile tea to relax.

Also, try working out. The endorphins released and the eventual balance in brain chemistry will make you feel a lot more at ease. Helped me a lot as well. Also builds confidence.

In general, I know what you're talking about, but living a little healthier does a lot of wonders.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I experience this nearly everyday. Sleeping does not affect it in my case. I suggest trying to reduce the caffeine intake. I stopped drinking coffee a while back and have seen improvements.
I have always been this way (even before the caffeine). I've found that getting 2-5 hours of sleep reduces my craziness, by making my brain sleep deprived. But getting less than 2 hours or more than 6 hours makes me nuts.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
yeah I average about four hour blocks as well.

and at the moment I have about seven tabs open. (well not counting the additional ones open to the same site. ;p)

If I manage eight full hours... I physically feel like I've overslept. So I usually compensate with naps instead...

which helps maintain a little bit of sanity.

It tends to be better if I sleep during the day, tho, but that's difficult to achieve with other responsibilities...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I need a good five... fifteen hours of sleep to be alert. When I was a kid, I could zap out on a moment's notice, riding in the car, standing up, eating a cookie. But now, I can never sleep without the aid of some external noise to distract my brain. Usually I'll listen to a boring lecture until I fall asleep, and once I dream, I dream very deeply, almost sucked out of this world, descending down a tunnel until I enter another realm. I started taking Melotonin, which knocks me out fast. The dreams are much more vivid and clear too. I am groggy at morning time, but a quick cup of coffee will put the spinners on my brain. Also, setting my alarm thirty minutes before I need to wake, lying in bed when the alarm goes off, and taking my time has helped me through the painful mornings. I usually play a brain-game to rev up the motors, before I do the routine each morning.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
When I was a teenager, I never felt like sleeping and I got away with 3-5 hours per night. Now I need a lot more. And I'm no longer able to pull all-nighters without several days of recovery.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I've had sleeping troubles since I was a wee kid.

Nothing works. I can't shut my brain off.

I'm not an advocate for drugs but ambien has been a life saver.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I feel drugged if I get too much sleep, and can function fairly normally on a relatively small amount. I simply cannot understand wanting to spend 1/3 of one's life in a state of unconsciousness.

Also, last time I had chamomile tea it made me really, really hyper.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I get hyper and very Ne-ish if I get a lot of sleep. I usually get 6-7 hours a night. This puts me in a good mood. If I start getting less than that, I am somewhat zombified the next day and I am not sure if that makes me think more clearly or not. I will say the likelihood of me pissing someone off is much higher with less sleep. Ti is less....controlled at that point and Fe is too tired to care how many social regulations it breaks....even if regulations arn't the only thing that end up breaking. >.<

·
Banned
649 Posts
When I get more sleep than I'm used to getting (which is over 7 hours), I have trouble concentrating and can't think. I become very drowsy and my brain pretty much falls asleep for the day while my eyes are held wide open staring into space. While in this state, I just sit around lazily or aimlessly browse through the internet. Most of my weekends are spent this way if I decide to sleep in. Sleep is a drug. The more of it I get, the more I need it.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
After a good night of rest, I tend to feel better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Who is sleep? Are they the person supplying me with my constant dosage of caffeine?

·
Registered
372 Posts
In the past few years, since I've been working, I only get 4-6 hours at night, and I really have noticed that its slowed my mind. While this seems to have decreased my idea output a bit I have noticed one good thing has come of it; When I finally do go to bed I fall asleep almost immediately. No more of that laying in the bed for up to an hour, waiting for your mind to slow down, before you finally fall asleep.
A state of sleep deprivation and mental fatigue, actually helps deal with one of the annoyances of life lol

·
Registered
729 Posts

What's 'sleep'?
Is it one of those things you have to go to the doctor to get rid of?

Just kidding...
I'm more likely to be kept up by my thoughts than have to sleep to focus them. I've been up until 6 some mornings because my brain just wouldn't shut up. No kidding, sometimes it's like I have a built-in caffeine dispenser than senses when I'm getting tired.

In any case, sleep usually does help me focus -- unless I wake up groggy.

You may just have a naturally shorter attention span, or a higher need for mental stimulation?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts