Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you agree or disagree with this? As INFJ's, we would be Ni and Fe...

The Eight Functions and Fence-Building

Ne - I want to design the fence.

Ni - Why do they want to do this and what is the deal with fences anyway? Is this necessary?

Se - I want to decorate the fence and make sure that it looks stylish and appealing

Si - I’ll take care of looking at the instructions and making sure that we follow the established guidlines.

Te - Is doing this cost effective? Will it be useful?

Ti - I want to analyze the structure and placement of the fence.

Fe - How will it affect the neighborhood, and what will the neighbors think?

Fi - I want it to be my own special fence that I can share with others over time

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really like this. I already have one as my join message for an irc channel I frequent.

* Now talking on #welcome
<XCat> [reborn] <reborn> I want it to be my own special fence that I can share with others over time

^^

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ne - I want to design the fence.

Ni - Why do they want to do this and what is the deal with fences anyway? Is this necessary?
I don't know about these two... I mean, wouldn't it be Ni who first has the vision of building the fence? And Ne would be wanting to make sure that everyone gets to put in their two cents on how it should be done?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about these two... I mean, wouldn't it be Ni who first has the vision of building the fence? And Ne would be wanting to make sure that everyone gets to put in their two cents on how it should be done?
Thank you for stating this, because this is exactly where I got "stuck" as well. The Fe thing was easy as of course the first thing I would consider would be my neighbors. But, this Ni... Ne looks like a mess up.

I would think that a Ne (would wonder about the fence in the first because by design they look for the "hidden motive" and "ideas behind thoughts".

The Ni, I believe, would just love the idea of designing a fence. What a creation.

I was so confused by this statement. Either my understanding is wrong or I don't get it. That is why I asked for the input. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hmmm here it seems the Ni is more like the Ti, because asking these questions is analyzing.

Maybe the Ni will be connecting different ideas the person has to build the fence while the Ne will be the same thing but an external version of it thus outside the person. :unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you for stating this, because this is exactly where I got "stuck" as well. The Fe thing was easy as of course the first thing I would consider would be my neighbors. But, this Ni... Ne looks like a mess up.

I would think that a Ne (would wonder about the fence in the first because by design they look for the "hidden motive" and "ideas behind thoughts".

The Ni, I believe, would just love the idea of designing a fence. What a creation.

I was so confused by this statement. Either my understanding is wrong or I don't get it. That is why I asked for the input. Any ideas?
I think you might have Ne and Ni confused. I thought Ni usually involved looking at the meaning behind everything so the original description made sense to me. I could be wrong though. Your description of Ni sounds more like Se or something... idk

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
And Ne would be wanting to make sure that everyone gets to put in their two cents on how it should be done?
The Ne-user would want to design the fence or brainstorm ideas of how it might be. Ne wouldn't necessarily care much about peoples' input, although peoples' input might be able to spur many more possibilities for the design of the fence.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
INFJ - the fence should be made of legally-harvested wood, harvesting that does not significantly harm the environment; also, it must be painted with environmentally-friendly paint that doesn't harm insects and nearby plants;

in addition, the fence itself must not be an eyesore and fit in well with the neighborhood's aesthetic; unless it is a simple chain fence for an industrial yard;

I could go on with the concrete for the fence and security concerns :happy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
It is extraverted functions that strive to affect the world outside. Introverted functions just work on your mind, on the inside. So yeah it would be Ne's idea to build a fence but Ni is what references the bigger picture of things and challenges whether it is meaningful to put effort into this direction.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is extraverted functions that strive to affect the world outside. Introverted functions just work on your mind, on the inside. So yeah it would be Ne's idea to build a fence but Ni is what references the bigger picture of things and challenges whether it is meaningful to put effort into this direction.
Are you sure about this? Because it was my impression that extraverted functions sought to take input from the outside world and internalize it; whereas introverted functions sought to take what was inside and impress it onto their outer world.

Any long-time experts around to help solve this discrepancy? Do I have it backwards?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just a variant idea. What if one encountered a fence?

Ne - This fence reminds me of a fence from my old neighborhood back home. Which reminds me of subdivisions. Which reminds me of a RUSH song from the 80s. We used to listen to that playing D&D. Oh look a bird is on the fence. Coffee?

Ni - A fence has multiple modes of function. It is both a barrier to life keeping some things in and some things out - and a home to life on another scale since things live on it. So it is both a barrier and a habitat. Whether you look at a fence as a barrier or a habitat all depends upon your point of view.

Se - The moss growing on this fence is pretty. It's also slick.

Si - The smell of the moss on the fence means it is rotting - but it smells sweet all the same.

Te - I need to repair that slat.

Ti - What factors go into the best fence for this spot?

Fe - This old cedar fence makes the house look like a cozy manse. The neighbors won't like it though.

Fi - This is my special fence. Not because it belongs to me but because I carry it in my heart.

I could probably describe these better but it's late :)

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Are you sure about this? Because it was my impression that extraverted functions sought to take input from the outside world and internalize it; whereas introverted functions sought to take what was inside and impress it onto their outer world.

Any long-time experts around to help solve this discrepancy? Do I have it backwards?
My take on it is that it is extraverted functions that seek to interact with the world outside and introverted function seek to interact with model of the world that you have inside. The defining feature of extraverts that their primary function is always extraverted and it drives them out to talk to people, to do things, to participate in whatever. Introverts to the contrary have a dominant function that is busy reorganizing their internal world to one manner or another. They seek input from outside world mainly in the way that their secondary function dictates (but occasionally inferior function as well) and then their primary & tertiary functions seek to process this data internally.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Someone who has an extroverted function in the first place will seek to take in from the world, internalize, and then effect the world in some way.
Ne-Ti-Fe= Take things in from the world, come up with an idea, use idea to change how people think or look at whatever it is the idea has to do with.
I've read that INTPs are satisfied merely with their ideas or understandings while ENTPs want to change the outer world.
Ne - This fence reminds me of a fence from my old neighborhood back home. Which reminds me of subdivisions. Which reminds me of a RUSH song from the 80s. We used to listen to that playing D&D. Oh look a bird is on the fence. Coffee?
Too spazzy...Ne doesn't necessarily go from topic to topic or go through constant memory jumps. It applies whatever is taken in to a greater context to find a pattern. Or it looks at the possibilities around whatever it sees.

·
Registered
604 Posts
RE: Ne

Too spazzy...Ne doesn't necessarily go from topic to topic or go through constant memory jumps. It applies whatever is taken in to a greater context to find a pattern. Or it looks at the possibilities around whatever it sees.
You are correct. Ne as a function on its own does not work the way I described.

Ne in concert with Fi & Si can "seem" that way to the casual observer.

Ne in concert with Ti (such as in your ENTP clan) doesn't look that way at all.

My description wasn't very good. Like I said it was late and I was tired - LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all, for your input so far. My quest for complete "clarity" on the subject continues though and after some thought, I have decided to share what exactly I would do... then, perhaps (with your help) I can understood finally if it is the Ne or the Ni that is most used within me.

I have wanted to actually (in real life) build a fence for around seven years now. My first task was to get a mental picture of exactly what it would look look, both sides. So that I could get a picture of the impact of style, design and height from everyone's point of view. I wanted to make one with differently designed bird houses and feeders along the inside, as well as one that would look well with the most flower patterns to aide in the local honey bee population and to see more butterflies in our area of town. --- For me, that is wanting to design a fence first. (Ne)

Next, I would double check all my math, drawnings, and presentation before I presented anything. Including address the "why" about the fence to all whom might ask. --- For me, this is the wondering about a fence in the first place. (Ni)

Lastly, after sharing this with all whom who be effected by the fence, I would gladly add their ideas to it as well. Come up with a final design pattern and middle ground. Clear that with all involved. Then, finally start on that fence that would suit everyone.

Strange I am sure, but this is exactly what I am doing. And I am not sure if it was (Ne or Ni)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fences

Thank you all, for your input so far. My quest for complete "clarity" on the subject continues though and after some thought, I have decided to share what exactly I would do... then, perhaps (with your help) I can understood finally if it is the Ne or the Ni that is most used within me.

I have wanted to actually (in real life) build a fence for around seven years now. My first task was to get a mental picture of exactly what it would look look, both sides. So that I could get a picture of the impact of style, design and height from everyone's point of view. I wanted to make one with differently designed bird houses and feeders along the inside, as well as one that would look well with the most flower patterns to aide in the local honey bee population and to see more butterflies in our area of town. --- For me, that is wanting to design a fence first. (Ne)

Next, I would double check all my math, drawnings, and presentation before I presented anything. Including address the "why" about the fence to all whom might ask. --- For me, this is the wondering about a fence in the first place. (Ni)

Lastly, after sharing this with all whom who be effected by the fence, I would gladly add their ideas to it as well. Come up with a final design pattern and middle ground. Clear that with all involved. Then, finally start on that fence that would suit everyone.

Strange I am sure, but this is exactly what I am doing. And I am not sure if it was (Ne or Ni)
My first thought was that fence building must be a euphemism for putting up walls to keep others out. A symbolic fence. After reading the original post, obviously I see that it is about an actual fence. So here is my impression of the matter:

Ni "We should build a fence." Why? "Because we just should."

Then Fe kicks in and says to the SO, "What do you think honey?" "Should we build a fence?" If the SO says no, we should not build a fence, then

Ti kicks in and amasses a bunch of good reasons for having a fence and is slightly disturbed that the SO doesn't want to build a fence.

Se then pops up and says, omg, it would be soooooo beautiful. I can see it now.

LOL, I don't know...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts