Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that ENFPs have this certain aura, that feels kind of "harmless" like a puppy like feeling. It often leads people to get their guards down. Just wanted to ask if that's common and usually what's the reason? Do you also get told that? Also, I've realized that ENFPs have that smile, it's kind of bright, wide, and warm. Urg I can't really explain it in a way but it's just that type of smile. 馃槀馃槀

Btw, I'm not an ENFP but was just curious.

Registered
ENFP-A 359 sp/sx
I had that as a child/younger teen, and hated it... it was an unintended eminence.
By the time I reached my early 20s (currently), vestiges of it are definitely visible, but more muted.
Life experience/difficult circumstances created a serious, mature, responsible surface which I seem to demonstrate more frequently.
Other ENFPs have encountered different experiences, so they may or may not have retained that innocent, childlike effect.
I'm still energetic, curious, spirited, and strongwilled... but not as silly, unplanned, disorganized, or gullible as I was.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"...

Registered
I just noticed that ENFPs have this certain aura, that feels kind of "harmless" like a puppy like feeling. It often leads people to get their guards down. Just wanted to ask if that's common and usually what's the reason? Do you also get told that? Also, I've realized that ENFPs have that smile, it's kind of bright, wide, and warm. Urg I can't really explain it in a way but it's just that type of smile.

I appear harmless and people often let their guards down around me- unsure of it deals anything with them viewing me as 鈥減uppy like 鈥 or 鈥済ullible 鈥 or anything remotely close to that , but I do know that I send a calm /peaceful aura . I鈥檝e had people tell me that I send a comforting vibe and that they trusts in me - it鈥檚 rare to find someone skeptical of my behavior or who I am .
I鈥檝e always associated Fe dom /strong Fe with bright wide and warm smile. I think enfp may laughs freely which could appear like a person who smiles a lot - but man I could never smile on demand - it just feels awkward.
What type are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TullyOne

Registered
ENFP-A
I'm a 35 year old ENFP-A and I would admit I still retain a very youthful aura though I also look physically young for my age. I do smile a lot but it's authentic because I'm amused or "happy" easily. I've shaped my life where my ENFP aura is appreciated - I lead Vancouver, Canada's MBTI Meetup group where most of my closest friends now reside - but have also educated the people at my work on MBTI and who I am and it has led to acceptance overall!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had that as a child/younger teen, and hated it... it was an unintended eminence.
By the time I reached my early 20s (currently), vestiges of it are definitely visible, but more muted.
Life experience/difficult circumstances created a serious, mature, responsible surface which I seem to demonstrate more frequently.
Other ENFPs have encountered different experiences, so they may or may not have retained that innocent, childlike effect.
I'm still energetic, curious, spirited, and strongwilled... but not as silly, unplanned, disorganized, or gullible as I was.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"...
What does unintended eminence mean to you? Did it cause you some negative feelings or experiences? Time and experiences do change us. I'm also similar, I lost the complete enthusiasm I had of the world. However, I don't think it's that bad. It makes us stronger and it is still us.

I appear harmless and people often let their guards down around me- unsure of it deals anything with them viewing me as 鈥減uppy like 鈥 or 鈥済ullible 鈥 or anything remotely close to that , but I do know that I send a calm /peaceful aura . I鈥檝e had people tell me that I send a comforting vibe and that they trusts in me - it鈥檚 rare to find someone skeptical of my behavior or who I am .
I鈥檝e always associated Fe dom /strong Fe with bright wide and warm smile. I think enfp may laughs freely which could appear like a person who smiles a lot - but man I could never smile on demand - it just feels awkward.
What type are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I get the awkward smile. I have an ENFP friend and she makes that awkward smile whenever she sees me do or say something weird and she doesn't know how to react lol I guess you guys are just like a "warm light". I think its a good trait to have. But what happens to unhealthy ENFPs? Can they use that good trait in a bad way??? I'm an INFJ.

I'm a 35 year old ENFP-A and I would admit I still retain a very youthful aura though I also look physically young for my age. I do smile a lot but it's authentic because I'm amused or "happy" easily. I've shaped my life where my ENFP aura is appreciated - I lead Vancouver, Canada's MBTI Meetup group where most of my closest friends now reside - but have also educated the people at my work on MBTI and who I am and it has led to acceptance overall!
WOOOOOW that's really great! You made something more out of something you find interesting :) It's nice seeing people use their potential. I wish I could use mine more as well, but I'm going there--I believe HAHA What do you do in an MBTI meet up?

Registered
ENFP-A 359 sp/sx
What does unintended eminence mean to you? Did it cause you some negative feelings or experiences? Time and experiences do change us. I'm also similar, I lost the complete enthusiasm I had of the world. However, I don't think it's that bad. It makes us stronger and it is still us.
Unintended eminence... sometimes, others can miscalculate intellect, ability, or inner conviction when you're either decently energetic, passionate,
or earnest. There were a few awkward/frustrating relationships I had, where that miscalculation seemed to take place frequently enough
to cause resentment. In brief, not being taken seriously.
Agreed. :) Even enthusiasm can be somewhat misleading.

Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
I would argue that ENFPs are probably the most persistent personality type in trying to get to know the average person. They typically don't take no for an answer.
In my personal experience, I will often try to shake people off my "trail" when they get too close. I typically have a hard time expressing myself, and prefer to not speak a word and simply make my way out the back before anyone notices. However, it is not so easy with ENFPs (ENTPs and ESFPs are arguably the same way as well). When I try to blend in to the wall the best I can, the ENFP will often be the first one to approach.

At first, I honestly find it pretty annoying as I do my best to leave before anyone notices, but I often have an ENFP catch me before I make it out the door. It's a pretty uncomfortable situation for me if I am not prepared.
But after a while, I start to get used to it.

I would attribute that to persistence. Most people such as myself are not really used to people consistently chasing or making time for them. So at least to me, it really does mean a lot, especially after a long time alone.

Registered
Many ENFPs don鈥檛 like the idea of not being taken seriously. So although a puppy and 鈥渉armless鈥 are usually things other people would like around them more, just like @Eugenia Shepherd said, we want to be taken seriously (although sometimes we also subconsciously support the aura of harmless鈥 we can find out a lot more about people in that case, after all). I don鈥檛 think we want to have people miscalculate our intelligence or maybe take our kindness for granted, for example. So you鈥檙e kind of touching on something that is a nerve for ENFPs in a way.

I actually very consciously build safe places of trust. I鈥檓 44 years old and my job is in nutrition counseling. People CAN trust me and they no longer miscalculate my intelligence or abilities. I control all of this now is what it feels like. I鈥檓 in control of how much trust I want people to feel, is what it now feels like. When I was in my 20鈥檚 and 30鈥檚 i somehow expected people to look deeper or to appreciate kindness by way of being able to put themselves into my shoes and see my self-sacrifice. However, over time I do not expect this from people. Here鈥檚 a simple example. When I was younger and went out of my way for someone and they said thank you, I鈥檇 down-play what I did (I鈥檓 not sure why) and say 鈥淪ure, no problem.鈥 And now I say 鈥淵ou鈥檙e very welcome. It was tough, but I wanted to make sure you were taken care of.鈥 And this kind of switch makes me in control and makes it so that my kindness is not taken for granted. Finding that switch and being okay with that switch has been a journey.
I鈥檓 writing this to the other ENFPs as much as I am to you, the OP, by the way. I hope it helps.
but yes... it鈥檚 very important to me that other people feel accepted and safe to express their feelings and be themselves. I actively work to help give people a sense of safety belonging and acceptance and look at me owning this! It is not accidental. Instead it鈥檚 how I hope I make the world a better place to be.

Registered
ENFP
I've always personally equated ENFPs to beagles and ENTPs to jack russels (in a weird funny way). There's definitely a subtle mischievousness in an ENFP smile, and extreme witty cleverness in the ENTP comedic smirk. Both can have bouts of hyperactivity.

Registered
I just noticed that ENFPs have this certain aura, that feels kind of "harmless" like a puppy like feeling. It often leads people to get their guards down. Just wanted to ask if that's common and usually what's the reason? Do you also get told that? Also, I've realized that ENFPs have that smile, it's kind of bright, wide, and warm. Urg I can't really explain it in a way but it's just that type of smile. 馃槀馃槀

Lol. Yes. I have that smile and people tell me that
The reason is we like people. And we are genuinely excited to get to know you and your patterns. 馃槉

Registered
Many ENFPs don鈥檛 like the idea of not being taken seriously. So although a puppy and 鈥渉armless鈥 are usually things other people would like around them more, just like @Eugenia Shepherd said, we want to be taken seriously (although sometimes we also subconsciously support the aura of harmless鈥 we can find out a lot more about people in that case, after all). I don鈥檛 think we want to have people miscalculate our intelligence or maybe take our kindness for granted, for example. So you鈥檙e kind of touching on something that is a nerve for ENFPs in a way.

I actually very consciously build safe places of trust. I鈥檓 44 years old and my job is in nutrition counseling. People CAN trust me and they no longer miscalculate my intelligence or abilities. I control all of this now is what it feels like. I鈥檓 in control of how much trust I want people to feel, is what it now feels like. When I was in my 20鈥檚 and 30鈥檚 i somehow expected people to look deeper or to appreciate kindness by way of being able to put themselves into my shoes and see my self-sacrifice. However, over time I do not expect this from people. Here鈥檚 a simple example. When I was younger and went out of my way for someone and they said thank you, I鈥檇 down-play what I did (I鈥檓 not sure why) and say 鈥淪ure, no problem.鈥 And now I say 鈥淵ou鈥檙e very welcome. It was tough, but I wanted to make sure you were taken care of.鈥 And this kind of switch makes me in control and makes it so that my kindness is not taken for granted. Finding that switch and being okay with that switch has been a journey.
I鈥檓 writing this to the other ENFPs as much as I am to you, the OP, by the way. I hope it helps.
but yes... it鈥檚 very important to me that other people feel accepted and safe to express their feelings and be themselves. I actively work to help give people a sense of safety belonging and acceptance and look at me owning this! It is not accidental. Instead it鈥檚 how I hope I make the world a better place to be.
Yes to all this. People are always surprised that we are not as "harmless" as we seem. Its a PERSONALITY TYPE. it doesnt mean thats all you are.

Registered
One And Only
I see it as authentic appreciation of whatever you鈥檙e experiencing. People recognise genuineness, consciously or not, providing good reason to trust you. People also like to feel good, and your type seem able to deliver this seemingly effortlessly when at your best, even with a smile or look, but more generally with your demeanour.

However, you don鈥檛 fool me with that puppy dog look. I know that you鈥檙e always paying attention, sussing things out, and are cleverer than most give you credit for. You鈥檇 make great secret agents, actually. All the more reason to keep my guard up. 馃え

1 - 12 of 12 Posts