Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking the last couple days about how a lot of my friends who I get along great with and accomplish good things with are ENTJ. Is this known to be common?

In business it works because both types are extroverts with good people skills. ENTJs have the dominant Te and ENTPs have the dominant Ne. So I think it makes a deadly efficient combo when you have those two dominant functions come together.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Pretty much every type is going to consider the ENTJ their best business partner except the xSFx, which will be too busy ruining the business to appreciate what the ENTJ has done to make it work in the first place.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree. ENTPs are widely stated to be most likely to be successful as an entrepreneur. Our weaknesses, however, lie in thinking realistically. We're awesome at thinking of expansion and finding ways to do pretty much anything. The one thing we lack though is the motivation to finish projects, and that is something that ENTJs have over us in the business world.

SJ types get uncomfortable with the risk involved with starting a new business. Most Introverts do not have the social drive required to run a business, as there is a ton of interaction with human beings involved.

This leaves us with:
ESTP
ESFP
ENFP
ENFJ
ENTP

Many feeler types will get emotional/anxious with the amount of stress involved with running a business ESPECIALLY during the start-up. So we're down to ESTP and ENTP. Who do you think fits better with an ENTJ? I'd say ENTP since we have a broader vision. But that's just me.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that this process of elimination is very simplified.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So we're down to ESTP and ENTP. Who do you think fits better with an ENTJ? I'd say ENTP since we have a broader vision. But that's just me.
If I were ENTJ and was made to choose between ESTP and ENTP as a business partner I say that I'd definitely go for ENTP :D And if I were made to choose between ENTP and ENTJ I would also go for ENTP.

Why? Because both ENTJs and ESTPs would spend hours arguing about who is actually in charge, while an ENTP would rather yield than fight. They are far less verbaly agressive, and although this famous "broader vision" is sometimes too broad to be applied in reality they do have the brains :)

But it depends on what kind of business we are talking about.

If we are speculating on whom we would choose in general of all the types I'd choose an INTP or INTJ as a partner. He or she would make the thinking, take care of the details and I would sell his or hers ideas - one extravert is imho enough :D

Gosh, I only wish I knew this stuff (I mean MBTI) earlier because I have an ISFJ as a partner and often I feel that she is draining my life out of me. She is like the best employee and friend one could imagine, but as a business partner uhhhh... We started as patrners but somehow with time she became the employee and I became the bad boss. I don't like to work with pretentious people but some "NT style" back talk from time to time is nice :D

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, you need another extrovert. Salesmanship is a must-have trait for every entrepreneur, and extroverts have a clear advantage. I saw an article the other day about how to get out of a bad partnership somewhere. I tried to find it but can't remember where it was. I THINK it was on inc.com, but they update that site so much, and once something gets off the homepage it's impossible to find.

What's your business?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Right now it's stained glass.

I design stuff like lamps and windows, suncatchers, door panels and such. It's a new thing in my Country - a virgin market, because for most people stained glass is something they saw in churches or other religious buildings. So when I show them how this technique can be applied in uhm ^^ secular architecture people get really excited about having a stained glass window in their house :D

I was doing fine working on my own, but decided to have a partner because I wanted to develop my petit workshop into a company, because I so far I was more like a local artist. I provided the technology (and designs), my partner - I am not sure how this is called - "the palce" (we don't have to pay the rent) and we both invested lot of money in glass, lead and other necessary equipment. We are doing fine when it comes to making money (of course I would not mind making more, I am looking for new ways to advertise our company and reach more potential customers - but that is kinda obvious :D) but lately I started to be annoyed with job I used to love so much, because I have to do like all the work while she is like - I am sorry to say this - my puppet. If I don't tell her to do something she would not take the initiative. Oh, she works hard but only if I point her what should be done.

I don't need that sort of person as my partner - when I was working just on my own and I had too much work to do (for example I got a contract to make 300 door panels in one month) I used to hire students or other people who needed some extra money. Fortunately for me unemployment is a problem in my Country (geee, I am such a heartless person :D) so I never have had problems with finding somebody who would for little money I pay spend whole day grinding glass (I personally hate grinding). But now I stuck with my ISFJ partner who is doing manual, undemanding work and we split money - lets be honest - I earn in half. Blaaah, I need to do something with this problem quickly, because it really makes me angry :D

I have an idea, I'll know it would work but it would definitely ruin our friendship though, and my ISFJ was really there for me during my divorce. So I also have that sort of dillema.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the reason I refuse to bring friends into my business. You've got to choose what's more important, your friendship or your company. I'd go with the company. It's a lot easier to replace a person in your life than a company.

You have to figure out exactly how much ownership she has. It will still be less than yours, so legally I think you can still fire her, and then you have to come to a financial agreement with her as well. Either that, or keep her, and hire a third person to help manage, then she'll become an employee. I'd go for the first option though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.