Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Could anyone tell me what the appeal is behind the traditional business suit? I'm not lumping everyone together of course but from my experience in life many ESTJs love the blazer, white shirt, tie, trousers/pants, shiny black shoes and gelled hair. I'm just curious why?

I'm not just asking about practicality either, I've even seen people driving home away from the office with the business suit image completely maintained, not being disturbed or changed at all despite being out of the office. It doesn't seem to serve any real practicality from my point of view. When I leave work I feel a compulsive need to feel free and my "smart office dress" becomes almost like a cage. Usually my shirt is out and my hair is ruffled within minutes of leaving the door.

My question is why (from your own points of view of course) do you enjoy wearing a suit so much? Does it denote power or a feeling of influence? Why would the traditional business suit be more productive in the work place than let's say Jedi robes or casual clothing? If these were the normal code then nobody would care enough after a while for the work ethic to suffer.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I totally agree.

In fact, I think people would be MORE productive if they were physically comfortable and didn't have to waste valuable time ironing gray cloth each night, mentally blocking out the pain of pinscher work shoes, and worrying about not tearing or wrinkling your clothes during the day. Not to mention, it's impossible to move or stretch around in clothes like that. So if a $3,000,000 client proposal fax falls in that awkward space behind the copier machine, you're shit out of luck.

Or what usually happens is that the whole team must become involved in a monumental effort to collectively PUSH the machine out to retrieve the paper or wait until the "bad apple" wearing jeans simply reaches over to grab it.

I think the whole point of "work clothes" IS to restrain employees, so they stay put. It's like a constant pinch to bring yourself back into grunt reality. I could understand the need for professional dress if you're working with clients or customers or at a front desk, but if you're shoved in an isolated back room in the middle of nowhere to do nothing but filing, it really doesn't make sense. (Especially considering that they're probably always bending and stretching, etc.) They might as well offer Banana Republic split-pants insurance in the company benefit plan.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Because it makes you look well put together, organized, clean, chiseled, etc. People originally started wearing them if they wanted to get promoted or keep their job. If you go to work in sweat pants, people will view you as lazy, slouchy, etc.

Plus, wearing a suit has become cultural, so people will view you as lazy for not caring enough to make the extra effort. The suit could be optimized for modern work situations, of course, but then people would think you're strange for wearing abnormal clothing to work.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Yep. They're perfectionists when it comes to their reputation. All that crap you hear about integrity and honor is probably XSTJ stuff that I really don't understand. "Professionalism" is a word they like to throw around.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Appropriate attire for the activity is what is actually favored.

And you are actually discussing the differences in J/P approach or mentality.

Reactions: Sela
1 - 5 of 5 Posts