Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From: Parenting Skill ESTJ Allows for Practicality and Eagerness!

Parenting skill for the ESTJ child is all about energy! The ESTJ child is practicallyborn "ready to go"; and the parents of the ESTJ child need to have allot of energyjust to keep up!
ESTJ, Extraverted with Sensing, Thinking and Judging, parenting skill can be improved byunderstanding that the ESTJ child needs clear, precise and accurate directions...they thriveon that.
Firstly understand that this page is devoted to helping you as a loving parent or guardian, regardlessof your type, better understand how to use your instinctive nature to improve your parentingskill by nurturing your child's nature.
Your nature and your child's nature is your personality type and your child'type as discovered through the Myers Briggs Test.
You may or may not be ESTJ; but, if your child is ESTJ than this page can guide youin developing outstanding parenting skill and help nurture your ESTJ child all through life!
We'll assume that you know your personality type and that your child is ESTJ...or you thinkthey are....here we go!!

• Some Characteristics of the ESTJ Child-Some Behaviors to Look For:
  • These are naturally happy, energetic babies
  • They like to push buttons, twist toys, slide things, ring bells, etc.
  • In play, they naturally want to be the "boss of you"
  • Strong need for people interaction...strong
  • Pre-school and early school the ESTJ can be bossy, domineering, pushy
  • Naturally organized, efficient and very responsible school children
  • These children love "team" sports, "team" anything
  • They will engage in activities they, or a friend, has some prior understanding of
  • Very "literal" and practical children...will try to do "exactly" what they heard you say
  • They will not usually like any delay
  • You could say the adolescent ESTJ is a model citizen
  • Logical and very self-reliant children and adolescents
  • Hardworking, responsible, energetic...
Regardless of your type Mom and Dad, here are some things you can do to nurture theESTJ child and improve parenting skill.

• Guidelines for the ESTJ:
  • Be specific and literal in your speech and expectations of them
  • Work hard to get your facts straight especially if you are an Intuitive (N)
  • Teach them to be tactful, re-phrase what they say that is too "up front"
  • Be on time, do what you say
  • Provide many outlets for their "people" energy
  • Be honest with them, be logical with them
  • Do not be inconsistent in discipline...they are consistent
  • Work with them to take time deciding...it is ok to change options
  • Explain emotional, feeling responses, realities to them..they don't get it
In conclusion Mom and Dad, if you are ESTJ than most of the above seemed pretty naturaland may have brought back childhood memories.
However, if you are not a Sensing Thinker (ST) or an Extraverted Judger (EJ) the above maybetter aid you as you develop your parenting skill.
The ESTJ personality type is one of the more common populous types in America with about10-12% of the American population ESTJ. About 7-10% of American women and 13-16% of American men are ESTJ.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hahahha ya, that was definitely me as a child. My mom said I basically raised myself. She just added in a few things here and there to challenge me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is my son *almost* exactly (I just did a child version of the MBTI test and it gave me ExTJ as his personality type. I guessed that he was an S, as that seems more him than N). Everything is spot on except that I wouldn't say he's particularly "bossy" for the most part. He *IS* bossy to his little sisters, but with his peers, he tends to allow others to "take the lead". He is also not organized at all (so maybe he is borderline J/P?). But other than those two things, this is spot on for him.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remember I never liked team or group things because I always wanted to tell people what to do and then the people didn't want to do it and they goofed off. But when the other children would actually listen to me, then I was ok with groups

yes, heh! that's how exactly it was like with me too. exactly. I think I pushed too many friends away because I wanted to run their lives. I was also pretty aggressive, I tell people I was sort of a jerk when I was younger. Parents are SJs too and they wanted me to live a completely different life so I never went with anything but yes if people agreed with me group was fine. I like people but not necessarily groups unless it's to my style and taste.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The thing about ESTJs is that they need things to be organized in a good way. If there are others in place that are organizing things correctly, they tend to be fine with leaving them to lead. If things aren't done right, they will happily take the lead. I think that's why some ESTJ children have more trouble with groups than others. You basically have to be lucky enough to have a well-functioning group structure.

ESTJ's don't need to be the boss, they just need to be in a situation where the boss is structuring things in a good way. Of course, it takes a lot to put a system in place that the ESTJ will accept as good enough. They tend to have high standards for organization ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah, I would say that is pretty accurate. I like leading too but if someone is good it can be also nice, less work on my plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts