Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the situations in which ISTPs feel 'trapped' and absolutely hate getting themselves into?

I loathe:

- Meetings in which I am not the chair and have no control over what time they will end
- Being sent on residential courses where I have to follow a strict program and sleep in a dorm with 5 other strangers
- Playing ice breakers with a bunch of strangers (and introductions/'talking a bit about myself')
- Signing bonds or contracts - it's like signing my life away
- People who always insist on planning casual/fun get-together weeks in advance, even though it only involves two of us; and they have to plan the next outing before this outing is barely even halfway through
- A partner/gf/bf who has to spend every window of free time 'together'
- Being in a family gathering where you have no say over when dinner starts, and you're starving and this place is not your home
- Being told by your boss that you HAVE TO represent your company at an event, and you don't know anyone at the event
- Being asked to give an impromptu speech
- Being 'arrowed' to sit in stupid social committees at work which have nothing to do with my work

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have panic attacks if I feel trapped in any way, so I've had to eliminate those situations from my life. I'd never be able to keep a job like the one you describe above, for instance. Basically I can't be in enclosed spaces with people, or have anyone tell me what to do ever. Oddly enough I don't consider this to be a handicap, since it forced me to find alternatives which ended up being a lot better for me.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
What are some of the situations in which ISTPs feel 'trapped' and absolutely hate getting themselves into?

I loathe:

- Meetings in which I am not the chair and have no control over what time they will end
- Being sent on residential courses where I have to follow a strict program and sleep in a dorm with 5 other strangers
- Playing ice breakers with a bunch of strangers (and introductions/'talking a bit about myself')
- Signing bonds or contracts - it's like signing my life away
- People who always insist on planning casual/fun get-together weeks in advance, even though it only involves two of us; and they have to plan the next outing before this outing is barely even halfway through
- A partner/gf/bf who has to spend every window of free time 'together'
- Being in a family gathering where you have no say over when dinner starts, and you're starving and this place is not your home
- Being told by your boss that you HAVE TO represent your company at an event, and you don't know anyone at the event
- Being asked to give an impromptu speech
- Being 'arrowed' to sit in stupid social committees at work which have nothing to do with my work
I can relate to all of what you say, except I am not sure ISTPs in general feel the need to chair a meeting to control the time. I just want to know when it will conclude. One that is probably quite simple, but a necessity is not having my vehicle with me for a quick get away. I loathe the feeling of being trapped in knowing I can't leave until my ride decides to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One that is probably quite simple, but a necessity is not having my vehicle with me for a quick get away. I loathe the feeling of being trapped in knowing I can't leave until my ride decides to go.
Exactly - having someone decide my fate is not my thing!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A little off topic but...Is it bad that I always plan escape routes...or have back up plans so I don't get trapped.....I think I have kind of a sixth sense for traps...like a bell goes off in my head saying *voice of admiral ackbar* "It's a trap!"

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to get a strange panicky thing if I felt I was somewhere or in some situation where I didn't feel I could leave and get home easily. I used to feel sick and go clammy. It started after I got stuck in the middle of nowhere on my own with no way to get home by myself because I was really ill. But I dealt with it by swearing in my head at the panicky part of my mind and thinking that I could leave if I really wanted to.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
One that is probably quite simple, but a necessity is not having my vehicle with me for a quick get away. I loathe the feeling of being trapped in knowing I can't leave until my ride decides to go.
Oh, I hate this! There will be a family or some such event, and someone will ask if I want to carpool with them. NO! I've been carpooling all my life; I hate not being able decide how long I want to stay. One of the greatest days in my life was getting my license, and my dad handing me the keys to the crappiest Blazer in the world, with one word running through my mind: FREEDOM!

I also hate work meetings. It always goes over fifteen minutes, when there was work to be done. Everyone was just chattering about nothing. After a while, I would just start working around everyone, until they got the picture.

Also, I feel trapped at work when I can't move around. At my job, you cannot leave the room if you are out of the student to teacher ratio. There will be times when I would be stuck in a room with 12 kids for three hours straight. This is utter torture for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate not being able decide how long I want to stay.

I also hate work meetings. It always goes over fifteen minutes, when there was work to be done. Everyone was just chattering about nothing. After a while, I would just start working around everyone, until they got the picture.
Hear you loud and clear! And thanks for confirming that I am not alone where working around everyone is concerned! Sometimes I feel a little rude about it, but between wasting my time and being rude, I'll choose the latter! Most meetings can be over and done with in under 20 minutes. I hate it when someone goes off the tangent and drags everyone along. Stick to the bloody agenda and move down the page, dammit!

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts

Also, I feel trapped at work when I can't move around. At my job, you cannot leave the room if you are out of the student to teacher ratio. There will be times when I would be stuck in a room with 12 kids for three hours straight. This is utter torture for me.
Agreed, I have been assigned to ad hoc committees for years. When we have concluded the project, I find no need to continue meeting because we can. I also have a low threshold when meetings get off topic. We spend 30 minutes gossiping and 15 actually discussing what needs to be done. I am not keen on just sitting in my boss' office and talking about nothing. I will get up to leave and he will stop me and start discussing a lot of trivial matters.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Funny, I suffer from this affliction - but my ISTP boyfriend doesn't seem to. He readily carpools to long distance events with friends, without any anxiety - and even though I'm not even THERE with him, I suffer the anxiety of just imagining being in that situation. I refuse to go anywhere without my car, and I always know exactly where the exit door is, everywhere I'm at, so I have a quick escape. Before I go to an event, I've already planned my exit - what I'll say, why I'm leaving, and how I'm getting the fuck outta there. Consequently, I go to few events. I'm almost always the first to leave - crowds rob me of my precious breathing air.

My bf was going to carpool down to my city a couple months back with a bunch of friends, have them drop him off for a week and pick him up on their way back through town. I was floored - I kept asking him, "don't you want your car? What if you need to get away? I don't have an extra car for you!" and he'd laugh... "where would I go?"

I've never understood how people can carpool over long distances. I'd go out of my mind. A long time ago I worked for a traveling sports photography group as one of their shooters. We rode together to out of state playoffs. Worst job of my life - I wasn't allowed to take my car separately (I don't remember their reason), and I could barely focus on my job because I was so creeped out by not having a way to escape these people. After the playoffs, I'd disappear for a couple hours at a time, walking myself anywhere I could go, just to feel like I was "free". One night I even called Greyhound to see how much a ticket home would be... just so I KNEW there was a way out.

I lasted one summer with that job. Most claustrophobic summer of my life. I could never go on tour with a band (sigh... and I would LOVE to). :sad::sad:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
^^This probably should give you some indication that you're considering your bf to be ISTP on some limited basis and most likely stereotypes. I know you started a thread on him "probably" being ISTP, but I never read what made you think that.^^

·
Registered
247 Posts
^^This probably should give you some indication that you're considering your bf to be ISTP on some limited basis and most likely stereotypes. I know you started a thread on him "probably" being ISTP, but I never read what made you think that.^^
It does give me pause.

I'm responding over in the appropriate thread so as not to derail this one :)

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Hear you loud and clear! And thanks for confirming that I am not alone where working around everyone is concerned! Sometimes I feel a little rude about it, but between wasting my time and being rude, I'll choose the latter! Most meetings can be over and done with in under 20 minutes. I hate it when someone goes off the tangent and drags everyone along. Stick to the bloody agenda and move down the page, dammit!
Agreed, I have been assigned to ad hoc committees for years. When we have concluded the project, I find no need to continue meeting because we can. I also have a low threshold when meetings get off topic. We spend 30 minutes gossiping and 15 actually discussing what needs to be done. I am not keen on just sitting in my boss' office and talking about nothing. I will get up to leave and he will stop me and start discussing a lot of trivial matters.
Haha! Just imagine 15 women in a circle talking about crap, one sitting in silence, fidgeting uncomfortably in her chair, furtively checking the clock. Then all of sudden, BAM! She gets up, opening cabinets, dragging out food and pulling down trays (the beasts need to eat!)...my boss takes this as a sign that it's time to wrap up! :proud: My co-workers are immune to this behavior now. They just quietly get out of my way. I stopped feeling rude about it long ago.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I never knew it was this bad... just came back from a 3 day event with the student org i joined and while was there, i felt trapped and was having an awful time. The first moment the bus arrived back in town and i stepped out of the bus was the biggest relief feeling ive ever had. Since i dont drink or smoke and knew almost noone there it was more or less pure hell during the evenings.
Altho, now that i am home and think back on the 3 days, it was actually a fun and good event. At that time there (and even on the trip back to town) i felt i wanted to be anywhere -EXCEPT- there, but now...

Anyone else whos had something similar?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Anyone else whos had something similar?
I actually feel very comfortable around strangers, if I know I'll never see them again (like on a long bus trip, for instance). That's when my Se kicks in, big time. There's no past or future context, only the present moment. I've had much fun interacting with people on bus trips. I like it when completely dissimilar people are stuck together and forced to find some common ground on which to relate. Of course I wouldn't do it very often, because it's so draining. But it's fun.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Funny, I suffer from this affliction - but my ISTP boyfriend doesn't seem to. He readily carpools to long distance events with friends, without any anxiety - and even though I'm not even THERE with him, I suffer the anxiety of just imagining being in that situation. I refuse to go anywhere without my car, and I always know exactly where the exit door is, everywhere I'm at, so I have a quick escape. Before I go to an event, I've already planned my exit - what I'll say, why I'm leaving, and how I'm getting the fuck outta there. Consequently, I go to few events. I'm almost always the first to leave - crowds rob me of my precious breathing air.

My bf was going to carpool down to my city a couple months back with a bunch of friends, have them drop him off for a week and pick him up on their way back through town. I was floored - I kept asking him, "don't you want your car? What if you need to get away? I don't have an extra car for you!" and he'd laugh... "where would I go?"

I've never understood how people can carpool over long distances. I'd go out of my mind. A long time ago I worked for a traveling sports photography group as one of their shooters. We rode together to out of state playoffs. Worst job of my life - I wasn't allowed to take my car separately (I don't remember their reason), and I could barely focus on my job because I was so creeped out by not having a way to escape these people. After the playoffs, I'd disappear for a couple hours at a time, walking myself anywhere I could go, just to feel like I was "free". One night I even called Greyhound to see how much a ticket home would be... just so I KNEW there was a way out.

I lasted one summer with that job. Most claustrophobic summer of my life. I could never go on tour with a band (sigh... and I would LOVE to). :sad::sad:

I used to go on a lot of carpool road trips back in college when I was on the soccer team and track team. I always volunteered to drive that way I could concentrate on the road without having to socialize too much. It was a win-win.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I signed a training contract / company last Oct 2007. The first year was ok but the next years was hell! I want out. The contract will ended April 2011. I am gonna quit my job on that day! I can't stand it!

·
Registered
435 Posts
what about feeling trapped concerning interpersonal relationships?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thinks its almost the same. I almost broke up with my current girlfriend because I feel the pressure of her wanting to marry soon(within the next two years). Good thing she was an mature(i think) ESTJ(Perfect match for an ISTP). So, we talked about our problem and I was very honest about how I felt. And, she was able to understand where I am coming from and we ended up having a deal about the marriage thing. I think it strengthened our relationship more than ever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts