Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, please!

What I'm finding is that hardly anyone understands Fi who does not have Fi. I think it is causing big problems in the MBTI world, it basically gives everyone studying it who do not have Fi a big blind spot. Also, the spread of bad information can be damaging to us in the long-run, so please help.

I know some of us are better at describing our functions to others (usually by realizing the different world view of others and figuring out what key points are different and need explaining) and I know some of us don't care or haven't cared what others understood... I think our Fi is always so needed by any society and I think it and WE deserve to be actually understood, if we can try explaining.

I'm hoping we can find SOME consensus and agreement on maybe what the origins of our Fi are and maybe what ALL Fi users would agree on... even though Fi is very individualistic, I believe it is based on the same origins and describing those origins to others is what I'm after. I am pasting this on the ISFP, ESFP and ENFP and ISFP forums.
I know Fi with Ne and Fi with Se are going to be somewhat different and that dom and aux will be different but lets also explain those differences and get down to Fi at its core!

I'd like to propose the following things that I personally think are the origin of Fi. Hopefully people remember their world view before they learned that other people have a very different world view and experience through MBTI. Also, some of us might feel like we've burned our Fi down... yet still recognize the origins of what was built. The universal origins are what we are after. Please agree or disagree with each one of these points. Maybe I'll have to learn to make a pole:

1. Feelings have significance and value.

2. Anyone and anything capable of having feelings has significance and value. (Basically life is valuable. "Life is valuable" is hard-wired into us usually, even if we later learn there may be a hierarchy in feelings or the greater good (more people's feelings) at stake. Saying that someone doesn't have feelings is almost like saying they are inhuman, until we learned something else through MBTI.)

3. Any human who can feel or even has the potential to feel is equal in worth-- meaning each human being is equal in worth intrinsically and unalterably. This idea persists despite realizing that different humans and animals experience different levels of feeling and usually despite any wrongs that human has committed. Although they may be judged harshly and the greater good will be looked at in the decision making process of judging a human. Judging others likely has to do with the Fi-Te axis. But at the Fi core, a person or baby who I have never met has the same intrinsic and unalterable worth as I do.

4. I am usually highly aware of my feelings. They come from inside me in response to thoughts about external and internal stimuli.

5. Because valuable feelings come from inside of each person and are individual, rights of individuality (the group granting the right for the individual to be individual) need to be highly protected..

6. People cannot be forced to feel differently than they do and ideally people should be able to figure out what is right and wrong for themselves because their feelings and situation are independent of anyone elses' (unless we figure out this is not true for non Fi-users from the different world-view of people around us or from studying MBTI). The ability to make decisions that you believe will result in positive emotions (freedom) is extremely important and should be protected for me and for others.

7. Empathy/sympathy usually means that I put myself into another person's situation in my mind and feel what I would feel in that situation. I can see what the other person is expressing and I can feel my own feelings and I can see comparisons and differences. Usually when listening to others' stories I feel my own feelings stronger and can figure out what I think the right or wrong action is for the person.

8. Right and wrong has to do with what protects valuable positive feelings and protects life. And yes there is a right and a wrong (we might need to use the word morals in order for some to get it) and different actions can be judged to be different shades of right and wrong but the right and wrong is independent of my desires, although based on the value of feelings and the value of life. Just like there is a "most logical" thing to do and a "least logical" thing to do, there is also a "most moral" and a "least moral" thing to do. Sometimes there is neutral, but judging this all has to do with navigating right action. Right and wrong is not based on personal feelings or desires or whims or the personal feelings or desires or whims of anyone else or any group.

9. Right and wrong is independent of me or of any group and timeless. My understanding of right or wrong is how I judge myself and others. As I learn more about the "true" right and wrong in life (see #8), I have to make adjustments. This is sometimes a difficult learning process since I thought I knew the truth before.

10. Since right and wrong are independent of me, my own desires must be sometimes sacrificed to do the right thing. Sometimes other people's desires must be sacrificed, the important thing is to do the right thing which would be the thing that protects the most valuable feelings (greater good) and life.

11. My identity and my likes and dislikes are basically a bi-product of my understanding of the value of feelings, being highly aware of my own feelings, and my personal understanding of right and wrong.

12. High Fi thinks that people should think independently and autonomously do what they individually think is right and if people do what they think is right then we assume that things would work out for everyone. (Looking at it further, if people are mistaken about what is right or violate Fi values, usually the Te side of the axis will deal justice. Mostly Fi lives with a "live and let live" attitude. If we can. America is actually a Te-Fi based society, but there are other societies based on the other axis and I'm not exactly sure how that would affect the world view of all of this. But I digress, that's not origin stuff...)

Please explain if you highly agree or disagree with each one and what you think instead, please, if you don't agree. Or re-word it to fit what you think. What would you also add?
I'm really really hoping we can help others understand what we build our Fi on. I hope it ends up also helping others see people clearly and understand better.
THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts