Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you people deal with your (Jungian) shadow: all those dark things you keep hidden and that disgust you about life or make you lash out at others? I've read plenty about it, been digging around in my own a few years and while it's all very well to see how my dark side props up my better/useful traits and how all evil is derived from me (in a universal sense) it doesn't solve the issue of what is commonly referred to as "embracing the shadow" in a practical way.

How nasty am I supposed to be? Do I cut people down just on tuesdays and sundays and not the rest of the time? Is there a transcendental incident that should have/ does happen and a new process begins? Because when all is said and done I still have that shadow to project...somewhere... or it just sits there. Bubbling. :unsure:

It's presence is so obvious now I get comfortable about it, even though in the past the sight of it has terrified me into absolute panic.

When I think of the literal opposite to my type and investigate the profile I think ok sure I know why I commonly reject those things and how I incorporate them into my life anyway as an act of balance, but eventually I have to admit it's just me imitating that direct opposite. It's not enough to move the problem forward. A ballerina impersonating a Rhino might butt heads well enough from time to time, but the audience will eventually realise that they're watching a farce.

Is there ever any truce between the left and the right? Is there anything I can do to smooth the way? Or am I just afraid of "suffering"? (I am! It's very unpleasent!)

Who or what, other than myself, am I supposed to forgive? How did Buddah get so fat and happy?:laughing:

Am I supposed to run to religion to save myself? What options are there?

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
737 Posts
That is all for you to figure out for yourself. That's why it's your 'shadow'. It's sounds like you're well on your way though.

I haven't fully embraced my 'shadow' so to speak (that is if such a 'thing' even exists), so I can't advise you much further other than to embrace the 'dark' side. It's kind of cool to do that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts