Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve wanted to talk about my personality type for some time. I’ve no doubt that I’m an INTP.

My dominant function is Introverted Thinking (Ti). Yes, I disdain collective thinking; almost snobbishly so. I think it’s too susceptible to being warped - and I believe that if it goes unchecked the logic itself will lose any kind of meaning. (Note that Te-valuers will not check the logic itself, because it is used to obtain results; the process used to obtain results means nothing in Te thought)

I studied A-Level Maths. I failed it, dismally. In fact, I didn’t even try - I hated it; I sheltered myself by proclaiming to myself that I had moral objections to its approach. This was not entirely false.

A-Level Maths was delivered as a series of instructions. I couldn’t grasp what I was actually doing; I was dealing in completely meaningless abstractions that I did not understand. Any explanations I was given of what I was doing still did not deal with the concept itself - or even what changing one piece of the formula would do. I did not like following meaningless instructions. To me, that is something highly dangerous - it’s the same concept as a no free-speech dystopia.

My head is filled with systems. Completed systems are stored away, ready for use. And those completed systems are mighty; because they are pure and uncorrupted by the confused masses. The depth in which I understand things wows them - and to me, that depth is the only way. Devoting life to entire concepts - hell, even to small aspects of entire concepts, it is complete understanding that I seek.

Of course, obtaining concepts requires the external world; and this is where the auxiliary, Extraverted Intuition (Ne) comes in. To operate outside of a routine is paramount to the flourishing of Ti; because novel experiences generate novel concepts. Note that both Ne and Se (Extraverted Sensing) are stimulated by novelty; however it is the concept that stimulates me - the abstractions of an experience. You will meet me and see that I am clearly far more head-in-the-clouds than the Ferris Buellers, or the Sun Tzus, or the Indiana Jones’ of this world - aka the Se and Ti valuing xSTPs. What I experienced would mean nothing to me if I could not play with my discoveries that day. What could I turn this into? What is this akin to? I once wandered about the streets of London throughout the night, and I came across a clearly top-tier hotel. I then began to think; this is where the cream of the crop would stay. I was then thinking about how it fit perfectly with a motor-racing based story I’ve been toying with - imagining the main character staying at a hotel like this one, and even him commenting on it “This is one of the best hotels in the area. It’s only the top men who stay here. This serves as a reminder that I’m now among them.” From here on, I was deep in my thoughts; imagining new pieces of an incomplete concept. I enjoy piecing these concepts together; and without external stimulation, I would never obtain new puzzle pieces.

My tertiary is Introverted Sensing (Si). The inner world of an Si user is very much like a sanctuary; something removed from the harsh real world. It is a place the user can flee to - where all is safe. The important thing about Ne-Si is that it abstracts the tangible into something with personal meaning. It doesn't see things for what they are - it's very fantasy oriented.

I slip into very negative bouts of extreme Si; times when I am completely unwilling to face the big bad world. I lose my physical presence in the external world - the latter of which exhausts me, quite rapidly. To see things for what they are, without re-imagining them or slipping to a distant, completely unrelated fantasy world... that's no easy feat for me. I am a striving musician; but I am bad at it - because I do not see the objective physicality; what is there. I imagine what I am hearing even while hearing what should be right in front of me. I love music theory but I am blinded by the concepts and the system. I need external stimulus because without it, I have no creativity. However, too much external stimulus becomes overwhelming, and I find myself in need of a quiet space where I can retreat. Excessive retreat leads me to apathy and stagnation.

I have not yet discussed ethics. My inferior function is Extraverted Feeling (Fe), which deals in objective ethics. Although it took me a long time to develop my social abilities, I have learned with years of practice to understand the ethical codes around me and be liked by many people.
And indeed, this function is my means of communication. I even use it to understand the principles of a concept; because Fe understands the patterns and behaviours within it.

Under extreme stress, I engage in sentimental behaviour; crying and being completely unable to function by myself, needing the company of others. This is as well as romanticising times from my past and trying to re-live them. These are effectively very unhealthy, primitively-developed attributes of my shadow type (FeSi, or ESFJ).

And yet, while I may seem highly charismatic to others, I am also extremely easily controlled and swayed - due to a rather neurotic desire to fit in with those around me. This has resulted in strong symptoms of Dependent Personality Disorder - although it does not affect me now as much as it used to.

I hope you have enjoyed and/or taken in something from this. Farewell.

P.S. @arkigos I would be very interested to hear your stance on this; if this is a strong understanding of how an INTP's mindset operates. I've no doubt that you understand the INTP personality better than anyone else on this forum.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I studied A-Level Maths. I failed it, dismally. In fact, I didn’t even try - I hated it; I sheltered myself by proclaiming to myself that I had moral objections to its approach. This was not entirely false.

A-Level Maths was delivered as a series of instructions. I couldn’t grasp what I was actually doing; I was dealing in completely meaningless abstractions that I did not understand. Any explanations I was given of what I was doing still did not deal with the concept itself - or even what changing one piece of the formula would do. I did not like following meaningless instructions. To me, that is something highly dangerous - it’s the same concept as a no free-speech dystopia.
I once took a course in logic, and it was awful. It was like learning a complex mathematical procedure for determining what color something is. When Ti looks at phenomena, it immediately perceives the logical relationships, so forcing these step-by-step calculations just feels excessive.

My head is filled with systems. Completed systems are stored away, ready for use. And those completed systems are mighty; because they are pure and uncorrupted by the confused masses. The depth in which I understand things wows them - and to me, that depth is the only way. Devoting life to entire concepts - hell, even to small aspects of entire concepts, it is complete understanding that I seek.
I don't think I really store any systems except mbti/socionics/enneagram. I don't quite understand what it would be like to have a head filled with systems, though that seems to be what INTPs commonly describe. But give me a specific situation and my Ti will do it's thing. I think I'm usually not interested in understanding things that have nothing to do with me or the situation at hand.

Socionics has a system of + and - signs added to the functions which may explain this difference (though Se vs Ne can explain it as well). INTPs use -Ti and ISTPs use +Ti. Supposedly, - functions have a more global/general and outwards focus while + functions have a local/specific and inward focus. Signs of functions | School of System Socionics

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I’ve wanted to talk about my personality type for some time. I’ve no doubt that I’m an INTP.

My dominant function is Introverted Thinking (Ti). Yes, I disdain collective thinking; almost snobbishly so. I think it’s too susceptible to being warped - and I believe that if it goes unchecked the logic itself will lose any kind of meaning. (Note that Te-valuers will not check the logic itself, because it is used to obtain results; the process used to obtain results means nothing in Te thought)

Of course, obtaining concepts requires the external world; and this is where the auxiliary, Extraverted Intuition (Ne) comes in. To operate outside of a routine is paramount to the flourishing of Ti; because novel experiences generate novel concepts. Note that both Ne and Se (Extraverted Sensing) are stimulated by novelty; however it is the concept that stimulates me - the abstractions of an experience. You will meet me and see that I am clearly far more head-in-the-clouds than the Ferris Buellers, or the Sun Tzus, or the Indiana Jones’ of this world - aka the Se and Ti valuing xSTPs. What I experienced would mean nothing to me if I could not play with my discoveries that day. What could I turn this into? What is this akin to? I once wandered about the streets of London throughout the night, and I came across a clearly top-tier hotel. I then began to think; this is where the cream of the crop would stay. I was then thinking about how it fit perfectly with a motor-racing based story I’ve been toying with - imagining the main character staying at a hotel like this one, and even him commenting on it “This is one of the best hotels in the area. It’s only the top men who stay here. This serves as a reminder that I’m now among them.” From here on, I was deep in my thoughts; imagining new pieces of an incomplete concept. I enjoy piecing these concepts together; and without external stimulation, I would never obtain new puzzle pieces.

My tertiary is Introverted Sensing (Si). The inner world of an Si user is very much like a sanctuary; something removed from the harsh real world. It is a place the user can flee to - where all is safe. The important thing about Ne-Si is that it abstracts the tangible into something with personal meaning. It doesn't see things for what they are - it's very fantasy oriented.

I slip into very negative bouts of extreme Si; times when I am completely unwilling to face the big bad world. I lose my physical presence in the external world - the latter of which exhausts me, quite rapidly. To see things for what they are, without re-imagining them or slipping to a distant, completely unrelated fantasy world... that's no easy feat for me. I am a striving musician; but I am bad at it - because I do not see the objective physicality; what is there. I imagine what I am hearing even while hearing what should be right in front of me. I love music theory but I am blinded by the concepts and the system. I need external stimulus because without it, I have no creativity. However, too much external stimulus becomes overwhelming, and I find myself in need of a quiet space where I can retreat. Excessive retreat leads me to apathy and stagnation.

I have not yet discussed ethics. My inferior function is Extraverted Feeling (Fe), which deals in objective ethics. Although it took me a long time to develop my social abilities, I have learned with years of practice to understand the ethical codes around me and be liked by many people.
And indeed, this function is my means of communication. I even use it to understand the principles of a concept; because Fe understands the patterns and behaviours within it.

Under extreme stress, I engage in sentimental behaviour; crying and being completely unable to function by myself, needing the company of others. This is as well as romanticising times from my past and trying to re-live them. These are effectively very unhealthy, primitively-developed attributes of my shadow type (FeSi, or ESFJ).

And yet, while I may seem highly charismatic to others, I am also extremely easily controlled and swayed - due to a rather neurotic desire to fit in with those around me. This has resulted in strong symptoms of Dependent Personality Disorder - although it does not affect me now as much as it used to.

I hope you have enjoyed and/or taken in something from this. Farewell.

P.S. @arkigos I would be very interested to hear your stance on this; if this is a strong understanding of how an INTP's mindset operates. I've no doubt that you understand the INTP personality better than anyone else on this forum.
Not much to add other than that I find this all to be very insightful and that I am pretty much exactly like this on all points. You only really lost me at the end, but maybe that is a question of age. When I was younger I was pretty easily swayed by my neurotic desire to fit in with those around me. But, I grew out of that during my tumultuous teens. Now I am in the Kool Kids Klub of people who can't be bothered. It makes me cool to be that way, I've decided.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.