Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Some people are just generally like that.

I remember once when I was all dressed up though, I literally got like 6x more greetings than normal just walking around. If anything, I was trying to avoid contact with them, but they lunged out at me.

^ You should try it just for fun.

4,757 Posts
There was a time when I always did that as a weird show of strength/defiance - like I would stare people down. Now, I've retreated back into my not-really-looking-anybody-in-the-eye phase.

Reactions: PanolX

·
Registered
815 Posts
I find it so weird that an INFP made this thread about wanting to make eye contact and I'm an ENFP and I hate having to make eye contact and smile/say hello at strangers I pass by. I dread doing it and usually only do out of politeness! :crying:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I used to avoid eye contact awhile ago when I heard it means you "like" someone. I never wanted to give the wrong impression. Well, while not trying to look into a girls eyes mine would end up wandering often to her chest, (not on purpose! haha).

Ever since then I just learned to focus on the eyes as, evidently, you come off as smarter, more confident, and therefore.. more attractive.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I usually don't look people in the eyes. Not even when talking to them. The feeling of looking into someone's soul when I'm looking at eyes that are focused on mine is stressful. I also don't like the feeling of being judged when looking at eyes that are focused on mine.

But then I have no problem keeping full eye contact during an interview. I can adapt when needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A lot of times people don't notice a small gesture like that, especially across the street. Next time, try waving and being all "GOOD EVENING GUV'NOR" or a simple 'Good Evening' if you thing them to think you're normal. x3

And yeah, it's always fun when people smile back. Though occasionally one walks up to you and goes "Do I know you?" and then it's followed by an awkward silence. Not that that's ever happened to me, of course...ahaha.

I do have trouble looking people in the eye sometimes. I feel like they're looking straight into my soul and suddenly they're reading my mind or something.

....You INFPs can't read minds when you make eye contact, right? I just want to check.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Depending on where I'm walking at the time, I can get pretty afraid of looking people in the eye. I've been walking to my car once and some guy asked me as I passed him, "Would you ever go out with me sometime?" Sorry, but you just never know what kind of shit could happen to you.

I used to try to make myself seem invisible by not looking strangers in the eye. Now I'm aware that I've actually been making myself look meek - a perfect target. Now I try my best to stare down strangers, and jut my chin out confidently. I don't have as many crazies making me feel uncomfortable, which is sweet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know what you mean. I go on long walks nearly everyday and one thing I've noticed is that when you're in a field or on a secluded country lane,most people will always smile and say hello. But the minute you step on tarmac, that same person who you exchanged a smile with will blank you. What the hell is that about?!

Dito about the bicycles. I'd love a pennyfarthing, but I'd look such a DICK! :laughing:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
....You INFPs can't read minds when you make eye contact, right? I just want to check.
watch out for the dominant Fi...it'll getcha.

I love looking people in the eye, but it scares me to do it. Sometimes I'll get lost in a random strangers eyes and they'll be like "wtf mate?"

·
Registered
716 Posts
I hardly ever have eye contact with strangers, but that's because of them; I look at them when I pass them, while they look away. When I do make eye contact, I quickly look away. Unless someone is shamelessly staring at me (because I'm different); then I just stare back until they snap out of it and nervously look away - it's quite funny, actually :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
we can read minds when we make eye contact in fact :happy:
that's why i always like to make eye contact with strangers... you get to actually see each other for like 2 seconds as you pass. it's much harder with people i know because of how intense it is.. we've already done those first 2 seconds and more, so every time really counts now, you know what i mean?

·
Registered
155 Posts

That would be fun and scary! But on a serious note, whenever someone looks me in the eye, and I look back, I tend to just let my mouth and body run on autopilot, and analyze the person in the back of my mind. After a few seconds (which seems like eternity to me), I try to break the eye contact at least for a few seconds so I can go back to being somewhat sane again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not sure...
I usually avoid eye contact. It makes me nervous. Why do you think that is?
Do many INFPs look at people in the eye(s)?
I will only make eye contact with someone I am having a friendly conversation with. When it comes to strangers I pass by on the street I avoid eye contact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like looking at people's foreheads. To them it still looks like you're looking them in the eye, but to me it's less nerve-wracking. I've found I'm pretty much socially awkward no matter what, so it really doesn't matter what I do.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I always found this weird yet friendly. I see them coming my way. I move to the other side so the other person has a clear lane too. I usually glance at them a few times, looking up and down, as we move closer and closer. Then nothing happens. lol But where I used to live the other person always greeted me and I greeted them too with a smile. =)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts