Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd get some opinions on what everyone thinks of love. You can say whatever you think it is, how you feel about it, or some deep metaphorical interpretation of it...WHATEVER you wanna post. Ill start:

I'm not sure true romantic love exists, or at least not in this day and age. Maybe its because I've never experienced it, but what if its all just an illusion? Most people just throw the word around at the end of phone conversations and young teenagers who've only known each other for six weeks say it freely, but I'm talking about that deep, indescribable (RECIPROCATED!!) feeling that fills your intestines when you just think about them. You know, that emotions you get even after that person has mad you angry or told you all their imperfections and the things they wish they'd never done.

I mean, you might feel that way about someone or visa versa, but can it ever happen at the same time where both people feel as deeply for the other?

I dont know. It exists in movies and books, but i've never actually seen it in real life. And that makes me sad because i want to believe its real.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It requires a sustained amount of hard work to maintain it. Initial attraction (or whatever you want to call it) can only carry you so far, and love is best demonstrated, earned and nurtured by putting in the effort day in and day out to make it work.

Reactions: The Hungry One

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel like I got left behind or like love is something everyone else has but me. It kind of makes me feel like I'm reliving gym class again when it's time to pick teams and I'm one of the last people to be chosen (I'm not very good at sports.. lol. I've always been more of an artsy person with no interest in sports). But anyway, yeah... I feel like I'm standing there hoping someone "picks" me.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts
Love just is. There's something that doesn't want to describe it just having an inner knowing of what it's like. Why does it have to be dissected within an inch of its life. Love hurts too. But it nourishes our soul or inner being. There's something innately sacred about love.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Love is the answer to many of our problems...and while that may be a gross oversimplification, I strongly believe in it. In general, for personal relationships (romantic or otherwise), if we can learn to love and forgive others rather than hate and blame them, we will grow as people. If we love our world (and adapt to be more eco-friendly), some of the pollution issues we are currently facing could perhaps decrease in magnitude. If we love people as a whole, we could work toward ending world hunger in third-world countries...and along another train of thought, perhaps we could prevent more wars and work things out peacefully.

All of that is so simplified and may seem naive, and I won't argue that it isn't, but to me it just seems like love is at the core of almost every issue we as people face in our lives.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love is the answer to many of our problems...and while that may be a gross oversimplification, I strongly believe in it. In general, for personal relationships (romantic or otherwise), if we can learn to love and forgive others rather than hate and blame them, we will grow as people. If we love our world (and adapt to be more eco-friendly), some of the pollution issues we are currently facing could perhaps decrease in magnitude. If we love people as a whole, we could work toward ending world hunger in third-world countries...and along another train of thought, perhaps we could prevent more wars and work things out peacefully.

All of that is so simplified and may seem naive, and I won't argue that it isn't, but to me it just seems like love is at the core of almost every issue we as people face in our lives.
That was simply beautiful. Period

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It requires a sustained amount of hard work to maintain it. Initial attraction (or whatever you want to call it) can only carry you so far, and love is best demonstrated, earned and nurtured by putting in the effort day in and day out to make it work.
I definitely agree. Personally i dont think there is such a thing as love at first sight, because love requires time to develop. Its like a diamond: it takes time and circumstance to reach that state of beauty

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel like I got left behind or like love is something everyone else has but me. It kind of makes me feel like I'm reliving gym class again when it's time to pick teams and I'm one of the last people to be chosen (I'm not very good at sports.. lol. I've always been more of an artsy person with no interest in sports). But anyway, yeah... I feel like I'm standing there hoping someone "picks" me.
Yes, i understand completely. Thats where I'm at. And you start to wonder (or at least i do) if the people who want and appreciate love the most are the ones who cant get it, the ones who think about giving love before they think about getting it. Its kind of frustrating when the one thing you want is the one thing you need from someone else. And while were used to being left out or watching things from the sidelines, it would be nice if someone came up to us and showed some initiative.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I mean, you might feel that way about someone or visa versa, but can it ever happen at the same time where both people feel as deeply for the other?
Just on this point - I don't think two people have to feel exactly the same way about each other to be in love, nor does the strength of feeling have to be exactly equal all the time. Feelings are dynamic and change with time. There is no way you can spend any length of time feeling the same as someone else, even if you can do it in an instant.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The thought that no woman I have loved understood the immensity of my love.

Makes me wonder if any of them will. Im at a point where this question is making me unsure if I am just hesitant, or flatout jaded. Im tired of spending my time, effort, energy, and money (practical reasons of course), on some broad who has merely played the part of somebody who understands me.

Feels like Im just getting fucked with. I feel like I wouldnt believe anything the next girl would say. Would I even give her the chance? Would I really be that ruthless? God my trust is so deflated...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts