Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there fellow PerCer's!

This burden I have borne all of my life, and I can bear it no longer. I am shunned, ostracized, and even ridiculed for my beliefs and practices. Those who were my acquaintances turn on me once they realize the full extent of my depravity.

I'm speaking, of course, of grilled cheese sandwiches. Everyone I know fries theirs in butter... a practice that I find most frightening and, quite frankly, nauseating. A real sentient life form prepares their grilled cheese sandwiches using mayonnaise, I say!

I wonder if anyone is with me, or if I still am a freak of nature on this one. Mostly I'm just bored and I've never done a poll, so here we are :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. So the overall impression that I'm getting here is....

...is that about right?

Reactions: Laney

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I read the options and got really confused - surely grilled cheese is done on a grill and served with ketchup? Then again, you guys go round showing off your pants so I probably shouldn't be surprised :wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've tried it both ways. They both have their merits. Butter gives a subtle, smooth taste. Mayo gives a sharper bite and makes the bread firmer and crispier. I prefer either one depending on mood. Sometimes the mayo adds too much kick if I'm using a sharp cheese.

My favorite is probably beef drippings, left over from frying hamburgers or even cooking a roast, although it has to be the right consistency and composition to work.

Reactions: Siggy

·
Registered
208 Posts
If butter/mayo is the debate, how much of a freak does it make me that I don't like cheese, period? :wink:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
  1. Butter outside of bread, not inside.
  2. Cheese in middle.
  3. Oven at 350.
  4. Cook till toasted and gooey.
  5. Best evah!

I apologize ahead of time, to those who might like cooked, warm mayo, but the thought makes me want to
That does sound pretty good... and if i were to do it in the oven like that I wouldn't use mayo.

Best emoticon EVER btw.

Sir, I am ashamed to call you my friend. You disgust me with your mayonnaise smearing, bread defiling ways. From hence forth we part!

(Or, butter please!)
Go then! I am not ashamed to walk a different path. I know that my ways are righteous, and that butter is the true defiler of breads. Others shall learn this in time.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I don't like grilled cheese in butter at all. I always hated when it was cooked this way (which was always), even as a kid. I also hate processed cheese, which it usually seems to be made of for some reason :dry:.

Don't get me wrong, I love bread with butter, and cheese with toast, but all of them together = no for me for some reason.

(I despise mayonaise in all its forms, but don't mind a bit in a tuna fish sandwich.)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've never thought of frying them in mayo, but I'll certainly give it a shot next time I make one.

I do enjoy mayo on my fries rather than ketchup. Does that count for anything?

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
I've never even heard of using mayo. So I guess I'd say butter.

Except usually I don't even like grilled cheese sandwiches at all. Yuck. I don't know what it is about them. There isn't any part that I could point out that I don't like, or that makes the sandwich bad. It's just that for some reason, all together, it's kinda icky.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
You are not too freaky, I put mustard on mine, on the inside. My daughter uses mayo on the inside of hers however. Never heard someone using mayo to fry with, but why the hell not? It's an oily egg thing.......

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
WHY WOULD YOU TAINT YOUR GRILLED CHEESE WITH MAYO? Also shaking my head at all the restaurants that put other things in their grilled cheese besides cheese and bread. If you put other things, it's not grilled cheese. It's just a sandwich. Nah'm sayin? -_-

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,418 Posts
What the heck is idgaf?

And where's the bacon option?

·
Registered
268 Posts
It seems very likely that mayonnaise is going to be served in hell. In a big pile, on a plate, with a spoon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts