Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really no idea what my MBTI would be, my guess is something-something-something-P, but the more sites I read the more confused I get. Even the stuff on the MBTI site, the wikipedia page and the cognitive functions all seem to give very different results.

Please forgive the length, but I really have no idea...

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

The number of things I have done, the deficiencies and skills that I have don't seem to correlate to any type. I try to just ignore MBTI, but I suppose my narcissistic personality keeps bringing me back.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want to feel justified in my way of life. By this I mean that I want to feel as if I am not pathetic. I don't feel that I am all the time, but I seem to be wallowing in my self-pity a lot of the time and thinking about my wasted youth etc. I'd like to have real connection in my life and something meaningful. I am not really bothered about being incredibly wealthy/powerful, but I don't want to be a bum or have absoloutley no money. I suppose I also want to have a lot of fun, through rock-climbing, drugs, women and living a little. These are all fairly natural impulses I feel.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Probably in my youth, about fourteen or so. I felt very strong, some girls liked me, I had some good friends and I felt that I was living my life in a manner that was in keeping with my values. I was still kicking against a lot of walls in school and getting in a lot of fights over very little, but I felt good on the whole.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Probably my cowardice, and my negative intensity in social situations. I can't seem to relax without beer basically.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

What I have a gut feeling for wanting, but also what I think I'll be good at doing.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I wouldn't work on a project unless I was sure of the outcome. The exception to this is party's and social situations or sports. In this case I just want to have a good time of it, although I'm competitive if the sport is.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

When I was hitch-hiking in the U.S., that was a lot of fun. When I was snorkeling in Spain, just observing the fish's around my, that was probably the best fun. Other than that, climbing trees and having a big group of people cheer me on.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I want to be hands on. I have to rush into things a little and make mistakes. I'm normally very much a take it as it comes and work around what shows up. This is how I learn best. With things like musical instruments, I won't have to be taught at all. I just need the instrument for long enough and I'll be able to play it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Put it this way, my desk has most of the kitchen on it, about 7 books, and several thousand coins etc. etc. etc. I'm about 2 grand in debt and I have no job. And am I finding a job? No I'm on this site after a two hour game of command and conquer. I woke up at 11 btw.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I'd look for the principles first and if they made much sense I'd start flicking through my head for examples that this made good sense or could be disproved by.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

More for myself that others. If someone is very stressed then I'll notice and try and rectify it.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

More often I speak first. I've started realizing when to hold back though. I definitely say way too much. Generally I prefer group discussions. I only really want one on one discussions with friends, family or girls.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I like to know where I'm jumping first, but that's mainly from experience. Action is louder than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Go out. I might dingy my friends for reading or writing, but never tv.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

At the extreme end self-harm and contemplating suicide. This doesn't happen much anymore. If it's something someones done or if I'm pissed at an inanimate object I'll imagine violent things or in the latter case, carry them out. Sick things.....

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Hypocrites mostly. Malicious people. Bully's are the scum of the earth. Controlling people. The oversensitive can annoy me a lot. I'm cool with most folk

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

No, not really. I like educating people about all sorts of hypothetical and practical things, but that's hardly a conversation. I prefer debate really.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

I suppose detail such as cleanliness of room, money in bank etc.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

There's a good mix of perceptions. On the whole I'd say that the main perceptions are that I'm insensitive, wild, socially-retarded, insane and reckless. This is sort of justified by my hitch-hiking expeditions and so on and perhaps I am attracted to danger. But I'd say I'm quite cowardly really. I really can't help not knowing what to say a lot of the time, it bothers me less and less as I get older. I can take myself too seriously sometimes and in those moods I've even been told I look psychopathic. My friends would never say that I'm charming... They'd probably never say I was an especially moral person. Sadly, there's a lot of truth in what they say.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

:-/ This..? Probably creating something, a story, poem or a song. Go swimming in the sea if I could or hike a mountain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess you're an ESFP. What type did you think you were? You should probably learn about cognitive functions to type yourself most accurately. Information about them and how they related to the MBTI's 4 letter type code can be found here:
This is interesting because my older brother said I'd be ESFP, though he didn't really look into Myers-Briggs at all. I normally have myself down as xNXP, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

According the link however, I can identify most with Ti, Fe, Se and Ni. This would leave ISTP, ESTP, INFJ and ENFJ as possibilities.

Something about the ESFP forums and type descriptions dissuades me from thinking that I'm ESFP. Basically my fascination with science and creative writing seem contrary to ESFP traits. I'm also nowhere near as charming as they are and need my own space a lot more. I have good concentration skills as well. You couldn't have know any of that of course...

What made you say ESFP?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You sound like ESFP. Depends on what theories you buy into of course. I don't put any faith in cognitive functions. The ESFP forum is rather small so it may not be as representative of the type as other forums. Creative writing is commonly thought of as an N domain but there are always exceptions. Hemingway seems like a possible ESFP.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is interesting because my older brother said I'd be ESFP, though he didn't really look into Myers-Briggs at all. I normally have myself down as xNXP, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

According the link however, I can identify most with Ti, Fe, Se and Ni. This would leave ISTP, ESTP, INFJ and ENFJ as possibilities.

Something about the ESFP forums and type descriptions dissuades me from thinking that I'm ESFP. Basically my fascination with science and creative writing seem contrary to ESFP traits. I'm also nowhere near as charming as they are and need my own space a lot more. I have good concentration skills as well. You couldn't have know any of that of course...

What made you say ESFP?
I wouldn't get too attached to many of the type descriptions. They often lead to stereotypes, which people entering typology are convinced should be realities for people of that type.

To start, instances of Se just seemed generally abundant. You seem to have a pretty heavy focus on the tangibles of the immediate environment. What initially led me to believe you were an Fi user from your original post was your emphasis on values, sticking to what you believe in for yourself, and overall tendency towards not so logical decision making. On the other hand, some of what you say about how you interact in social situations might not be Fi but some type of rudimentary Fe. I do not believe I saw much Ti however.

I want to feel justified in my way of life. By this I mean that I want to feel as if I am not pathetic. I don't feel that I am all the time, but I seem to be wallowing in my self-pity a lot of the time and thinking about my wasted youth etc. I'd like to have real connection in my life and something meaningful. I am not really bothered about being incredibly wealthy/powerful, but I don't want to be a bum or have absoloutley no money. I suppose I also want to have a lot of fun, through rock-climbing, drugs, women and living a little. These are all fairly natural impulses I feel.
This in particular sounds like Fi and Te's attempt at reconciliation with a bit of Se thrown in the end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really not thinking ESFP guys... I've been over their forums, blogs, type descriptions etc, and they seem like the type of the ditsy yet fun-loving blond in your glass that actually went to acting school... I know that this is unfair stereotyping but I can't see any ESFP in me.

I'm far more drawn to theory than what's actually going on, I get on far better with academics than people and I can't draw for shit. On top of this I was poor at a lot of sports, and although I said I enjoy them, I never got into them until I was 15/16 despite coming from a very sporting family...

Moreover I hate playing in a team. I do love the outdoors, but my minds wonder when I'm there... I'd use it more as a place to think.

When I say I'd like to try drugs it's more the psychotic affecting ones like mushrooms, mainly because of their mind-blowing and perception-altering affects than their pleasure.

But fuck it, maybe MBTI is bull anyway.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm really not thinking ESFP guys... I've been over their forums, blogs, type descriptions etc, and they seem like the type of the ditsy yet fun-loving blond in your glass that actually went to acting school... I know that this is unfair stereotyping but I can't see any ESFP in me.

I'm far more drawn to theory than what's actually going on, I get on far better with academics than people and I can't draw for shit. On top of this I was poor at a lot of sports, and although I said I enjoy them, I never got into them until I was 15/16 despite coming from a very sporting family...

Moreover I hate playing in a team. I do love the outdoors, but my minds wonder when I'm there... I'd use it more as a place to think.

When I say I'd like to try drugs it's more the psychotic affecting ones like mushrooms, mainly because of their mind-blowing and perception-altering affects than their pleasure.

But fuck it, maybe MBTI is bull anyway.
ESFP is none of that stereotype. Whatsoever. Someone else mentioned this who is an ESFP herself. You can find it on the ESFP forum. "I'm not diggin the ESFP prejudice". But I keep on wondering if you're extroverted or introverted. I wonder if ESTP or ISTP is more fitting? I'm awful at typing people. Cognitive functions are the way to go, really, when it comes to personality typing since it's a person's cognitive functions that actually determines their type. I didn't see any Fi, really. I could easily see ESTJ, too. I can't decide whether or not I saw Te or Ti. I couldn't see much preference for either Feeling or Thinking.

MBTI isn't quite all that. It's Jung's psychology that makes personality typing so interesting. Lots of what you hear about different types are all stereotypes. Sensors, unfortunately, get the worst of it for whatever reason.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
You keep saying that you want power and crave wealth. I'm going with ESTP.

Reactions: Heresy

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
mbti - isfp maybe
enneagram - probably 6

Fi and anxiety in spades.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
It sounds a bit to me like you want to be an intuitive, but... you're really one of the most obvious sensors I've ever seen :laughing: I think you're an ESTP personally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts