Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Barnum - ESTP... very reckless, but lots of ideas
Charity - no idea, I'd love some opinions on this one; maybe IXFP? She doesn't seem to have inferior Ne, but then again, she's not an ideas-generator herself, but loves to go along with them.
Philip -- strikes me as a Si and Fe user; he's very traditional and cautious, but also smart; cares a lot what people think.
Anne -- ESFJ. Knows how the world works, and doesn't think it can change. Could be ISFJ also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barnum - ESTP... very reckless, but lots of ideas
Charity - no idea, I'd love some opinions on this one; maybe IXFP? She doesn't seem to have inferior Ne, but then again, she's not an ideas-generator herself, but loves to go along with them.
Philip -- strikes me as a Si and Fe user; he's very traditional and cautious, but also smart; cares a lot what people think.
Anne -- ESFJ. Knows how the world works, and doesn't think it can change. Could be ISFJ also.
Do you think Philip could be esfj? He seems more idealistic and his Ti seems low. Anne maybe isfj. More practical than Philip. Sees how the world works and can't see how they'd work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lean towards ISFP, much like the type that Michelle Williams is. I agree with the lack of inferior Ne. I didn't get any of that during 'Tightrope' and I was expecting going in that she would be some sort of the stereotypical long-suffering SJ wife and she just wasn't. Nor does she have this dreamy Ne-Si to her. Much more in the moment and going with the flow of his dreams. He just has to remember it's not all about him and forget that she's right beside in his adventures. Basically, dude do not go getting all chummy with a songbird when you have the perfect mate at home who could totally nag you for being a narcissistic dreamer but doesn't.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Do you think Philip could be esfj? He seems more idealistic and his Ti seems low. Anne maybe isfj. More practical than Philip. Sees how the world works and can't see how they'd work.
That very well could be; I thought Philip might be ISFJ due to his sensibleness in 'taking his cut' each week, and negotiating a higher price at the start, but that could have been lower Ne-related (foreseeing potential outcomes); he seems more ambitious in many ways than Anne is.

I lean towards ISFP, much like the type that Michelle Williams is. I agree with the lack of inferior Ne. I didn't get any of that during 'Tightrope' and I was expecting going in that she would be some sort of the stereotypical long-suffering SJ wife and she just wasn't. Nor does she have this dreamy Ne-Si to her. Much more in the moment and going with the flow of his dreams. He just has to remember it's not all about him and forget that she's right beside in his adventures. Basically, dude do not go getting all chummy with a songbird when you have the perfect mate at home who could totally nag you for being a narcissistic dreamer but doesn't.
I think that's probably right; she has the same adventurous spirit as her husband, but isn't nearly as ambitious as he is; she cares very little for social convention, and finds his people-pleasing attempts baffling. So, ISFP works for me. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That very well could be; I thought Philip might be ISFJ due to his sensibleness in 'taking his cut' each week, and negotiating a higher price at the start, but that could have been lower Ne-related (foreseeing potential outcomes); he seems more ambitious in many ways than Anne is.
Could their enneagram types be a factor? Same mbti type but different enneagrams. I've noticed that with an INFP 9 and an INFP 4, the 9 seemed to bring out the Ne more while the 4 really made their Fi obvious. The fairy and the goth is what I called them. XD

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Enneagram very well could influence it.

I plan to see it again next week; I may have more thoughts on their types then. :)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Saw it again.

Barnum: ESTP
Charity: ISFP
Jenny Lynn: ISFP
Anne: ISFJ
Philip: ISTJ (business-minded, practical, semi non-emotional but has a deep Fi inner space)
Lettice: ... ISFJ? Seems to need others to accept her, before she can assert THIS IS ME

Terrific movie. Wish it was doing better at the box office.

·
May Child
1,123 Posts
Barnum: I agree with ESTP, not the most well rounded ESTP either, haha.
Jenny: Another fi type probably
Anne: Fe, Si, Ne, Ti...not INTP, probably xSFJ but didn't seem to lead with Fe so I'll say ISFJ.
Charity: I'm not sure about Charity, there wasn't a huge amount of insight into her character. I don't think I have enough information to type her accurately, but I'd say she was an introverted fi user. ISFP is a good guess.
Philip: Not sure, maybe si? To be honest probably a similar type as he was in hairspray...something something zac efron ends racism something something... :wink: xSxJ.
Reviewer guy: Low level ne user, he says something about 'another person' seeing the act as a 'celebration of humanity' or something...assuming he was saying that part of him felt that way, I'd say maybe ESTJ or ISTJ. He has rigid set guidelines of 'art', rather than a more open to interpretation view of art, but is able to recognise other viewpoints as holding merit.

Same musical composers as La La Land I believe? Great songs. Maybe could have been improved story wise in places for me, but hey, all the kids loved it so that's pretty great. 7/10 :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yeah I think Philip is ESFJ. He definitely has that Fe-Si vibe. (could be ISFJ too, but the willingness he shows towards the show seems more ESFJ)

Interestingly I saw Barnum as Ne-dom. Lots of ideas and he's chasing them, not the sensation itself.

Jenny Lind is ISFJ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Barnum I see strong ENTP traits. The moving from idea to idea, like most ENTPs he loves the the ideas eg the circus or the museum but he can never completely follow through. He is also great at charming people but he is constantly trying to alter himself to win them over eg by setting up the opera to be seen as sophisticated rather than trying to get them to accept the circus life or when he tries to alter himself to be liked by charity’s dad. These are classic ENTP traits. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
In Barnum I see strong ENTP traits. The moving from idea to idea, like most ENTPs he loves the the ideas eg the circus or the museum but he can never completely follow through. He is also great at charming people but he is constantly trying to alter himself to win them over eg by setting up the opera to be seen as sophisticated rather than trying to get them to accept the circus life or when he tries to alter himself to be liked by charity’s dad. These are classic ENTP traits. Opinions?
I think so too. Although I hardly remember the movie. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I'm considering ENTP, but...

Part of being a high Ne is 'reading between the lines' and seeing the broader / futuristic implications of things, and Barnum seems somewhat short-sighted; it's true he gets excited about things and leaps on them, but his horrific miscalculation with Jenny Lynd (failing to notice her intentional romantic obsession with him) very nearly costs him his marriage. Him telling his father in law off in front of an entire room full of guests could have short AND long term impact on his business career. It seems like 'intuition' is more of an afterthought (which goes with inferior Ni) than his dominant 'way of being.' He's opportunistic in the moment (Xe-dom) but not thinking in multiple directions or reading between the lines very well.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm considering ENTP, but...

Part of being a high Ne is 'reading between the lines' and seeing the broader / futuristic implications of things, and Barnum seems somewhat short-sighted; it's true he gets excited about things and leaps on them, but his horrific miscalculation with Jenny Lynd (failing to notice her intentional romantic obsession with him) very nearly costs him his marriage. Him telling his father in law off in front of an entire room full of guests could have short AND long term impact on his business career. It seems like 'intuition' is more of an afterthought (which goes with inferior Ni) than his dominant 'way of being.' He's opportunistic in the moment (Xe-dom) but not thinking in multiple directions or reading between the lines very well.
It's ENFP (Ne-Fi) that reads between the lines, not Ne. ENTP's most vulnerable function is Fi, they can be pretty oblivious of what goes on in other people's souls.

Reactions: Pepper Ann

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
It's ENFP (Ne-Fi) that reads between the lines, not Ne. ENTP's most vulnerable function is Fi, they can be pretty oblivious of what goes on in other people's souls.
My ENTP friends are still reading between the lines and speculating 24/7, tho. My ENTP friend is one of the best 'read a mountain into a molehill' people I know.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My ENTP friends are still reading between the lines and speculating 24/7, tho. My ENTP friend is one of the best 'read a mountain into a molehill' people I know.
Yeah but that's not what you referred to. Recognizing other's subtle feelings towards someone is not ENTP's forte.

ENTPs have this:

"Fi as vulnerable function

The individual does not normally pay attention to the nuances of interpersonal relationships; he is either overly suspicious or overly assuming of his relations with others when they are not clearly defined. More importance is given to these relations as they pertain to objective mutual benefit; entertaining one another and accomplishing mutual goals are seen as the main focus, rather than seeing the relationships as rewarding in and of themselves. The individual does not expect others to be actively aware or concerned with his own personal sentiments, and so sees little reason to be concerned with those of others, unless they have direct consequences for the individual. Statements by other persons reflecting their inner feelings are not fully registered by the individual if not accompanied by external emotional expression or actions. Suggestions that the individual may have acted unethically in the eyes of another person who has not clearly expressed disapproval are met with bafflement by the individual; those that are expressed without tact are either dismissed or reacted to aggressively. Expressions of deep personal sentiments are awkward for the individual, whether coming from another or himself. He does not see it as his "right" to place the burden of his true emotions on another, both because he knows how uncomfortable those of others make him (even when they are positive and genuine), and because of his own awkwardness in expressing them."

It doesn't really matter that they lead with Ne. (it also doesn't really matter if he's ENTP or ESTP, it applies to both)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
But... does Barnum read between the lines with ANYTHING or accept everything at face value?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
But... does Barnum read between the lines with ANYTHING or accept everything at face value?
I don't remember the movie that much. He seems like a half-baked ESTP and a half-baked ENTP to be honest. He's enthusiastic about ideas but he doesn't look for answers outside of the reality.
He's really good at selling himself though so I'm sure he's some Fe tertiary.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Oh, I have no doubt he's an EXTP. He's got tert-Fe out the wazoo.

I suppose then we're forced to look at the inferior function -- is his weakness long-term foresight (low Ni) or sentiment toward the past / inattentiveness to detail (low Si)?

I tend to lean a little more ESTP, despite his songs being about a "million dreams," just because I don't really see much inferior Si in him -- he doesn't cling to anything from the past (other than his resentment toward his father in law not accepting him -- which comes out in his low-Fe outburst at the after-party) or have a subjective view of anything; what he sees in terms of what happens around him, seems to be untainted by sensory perceptions -- it's more like he twists them into futuristic thinking, so... low Ni?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't remember the movie that much. He seems like a half-baked ESTP and a half-baked ENTP to be honest. He's enthusiastic about ideas but he doesn't look for answers outside of the reality.
He's really good at selling himself though so I'm sure he's some Fe tertiary.
From my experience, ESTP 7 and 1 tend to have dozen ideas going on. His tritype is most likely 3 7 8 which sort of making him look Ne-like. Million ideas could mean million ambitions which applies to both Ne Se.

At that Entps are not good at Fi. They can't see the subtlety but I'm certain that they can read people further (or to be more precisely, reading future implications better) But that is Barnum's Achilles heel.

Estps still have Ni, though at inferior (which is something they both yearn for and escape) all Estps I know are good at abstracts if they have to be. The same applies to Enxps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts