Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I would like to share with you something pretty pretty interesting...to me, and hopefully to someone at the Cafe!

So here I was studying math when I came across this true genius called William Rowan Hamilton, who happens to be Ireland's greatest mathematician. This guy came up with the first non-commutative algebra (quaternions) in history and made substantial contributions to physics such as the well known hamiltonian mechanics...this guy coined the word vector!
Anyway, I got hooked up reading about his life story and found out that many of his personal letters where available online.... and kept reading out of curiosity.

Here's where it gets interesting, Hamilton was fascinated by triads and came up with this philosophical system which consisted on indefinite triads within triads. He never published his system but he wrote a long letter to a friend describing his ideas.

Here it comes!
The first triad is Will Mind Life (just like the Body, Heart and Head triad), which include a triad within themselves...which are:

Will
(9*) Selfcontrol (1) Patience (8) Affection

Mind
Faith (5) Sense (7) Deduction (6)

Life
(2)Selfpreservation (3) Emotion (4) Imagination

*Enneagram types

As I see it, the triads fit perfectly well into each enneagram type... what do YOU think?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi! This guy have made contributions to fields that I'm interested in. Would you mind providing a link to the letters where he talks about these triads?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Just by the words I'd say

Selfcontrol is more 1 and Patience is more 9
Emotion fits 2 better and Self-preservation paired with 3 isn't bad either

But this sounds interesting.

Reactions: GUIMPIV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi 0+n*1!

I agree with your observations... though I'm not 100% sure in any case.
would you make any change on the head triad?
Most books say E6 types are related to Faith, and perhaps it should look like this:

Will
(1) Selfcontrol (9) Patience (8) Affection

Mind
Faith (6) Sense (7) Deduction (5)

Life
(3)Selfpreservation (2)Emotion (4) Imagination

Thanks for sharing btw!

·
Registered
104 Posts
@ GUIMPIV,

Can you explain this better? Hamilton wasn't attributing Will, Mind, Life to the Enneagram, that is your doing, correct? What did the titles Will, Mind, Life mean to him?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi @CrudeAsAButton! I'll try to be clearer

1st) Hamilton never used the word Enneagram but he build a philosophical system that resembles the Enneagram quite well, imho; and that is what I intended to share in this post.

2nd) The "Will Mind Life" issue

Samuel Coleridge (The Father of Romanticism in England) mentored Hamilton into his own philosophical ideas. Briefly, Coleridge was into Christian/Platonic mysticism and believed in a philosophical trinity of Will, Mind and Life. Hamilton embraced his view and mixed it with Kant's Critiques (1.Pure Reason 2. Practical Reason 3. Judgement) and set them as hipo-categories within Mind part of Coleridges Trinity.

Thus, For Hamilton MIND could be expressed by the following trichotomy :

Faith (Practical Reason) ----+---- Reason (Pure Reason)
Sense (Judgement)

Once he did this, he tried to find out the hipo-categories for the remaining faculties of Will and Life.
This is what he came up with:

Text Document Paper Line Font

There have been numerous trichotomic systems created by psychologists (i.e.: Freud, Lacan), philosophers (i.e: Plato, Kant, Kierkegaard) and religious men (i.e.: Aquinas, Saint Paul), but it is my humble opinion that none of them get as close to the Enneagram as Hamilton's draft written in 1842. And that is pretty cool!

Hope it helps.

Regards!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.