Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a 21 year old musician, I'm consistently surrounded by friends and colleagues who love to party, drink, etc. It seems that every one of my guy friends is about getting lucky for the night. It's basically the number one priority for everybody when we go out. As an ISFP, I like to have fun but I just view romance on a much deeper level... I really have to like somebody and get to know them for me to pursue anything more. Sex is more than just a physical thing for me.

Anyone else think like this? :perc2:

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Most people at your age have no idea what they really want out of life and relationships. Chances are, your friends are obsessed with "getting laid" just because it's easier and more socially acceptable than settling down with a stable relationship as a young person. People will encourage each other to go out and have fun, and not take life too seriously. You just do you. Don't worry about what other people do or think. There are an awful lot of people out there who aren't into hookups, especially women.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tbh I'd be surprised if the majority of people didn't think like you do. It's only within the microcosm of your subculture where the reverse is so ubiquitous.
Well it's not just the music culture but the college culture as well. People my age really don't think like that anymore. It's all about staying single and getting lucky. I can confidently say while they're are people wanting to settle down, we are the minority.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I'm a demisexual.

Personally, I have an easier time understanding the physical principles of the Quantum theory than the appeal of hook-up culture. Not really hating on those who enjoy it or engage in it for whatever reason but it's galaxies apart from my own perception and experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yet. They don't think like that yet. It's less of a dying worldview and more of a phase.
Possibly. I guess we'll see how Generation Y changes throughout the next 10 years. While I feel it could be a phase, I also feel our generation doesn't view marriage the same way our parents do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a demisexual.

Personally, I have an easier time understanding the physical principles of the Quantum theory than the appeal of hook-up culture. Not really hating on those who enjoy it or engage in it for whatever reason but it's galaxies apart from my own perception and experience.
I've personally never heard of demisexual so I googled it and I think I may fall under that category as well. Btw I like the Nirvana quote in your siggy:th_sur:

4,926 Posts
I don't think it's fair to presume these things about people your age. What people say and what people want can be completely different. There are also societal pressures there unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I don't think it's fair to presume these things about people your age. What people say and what people want can be completely different. There are also societal pressures there unfortunately.
good point. I guess this is all just a mask for people to hide behind. Then again, wouldn't it be best to reel them out of it by presuming such things and letting those issues surface?

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not forming my opinion on just assumptions. It definitely has changed. There's been articles and polls that show how differently this generation views relationships compared to the baby boomers. Just Google it. I do agree though that some people may be saying one thing because of culture and will end up doing another once they mature.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Possibly. I guess we'll see how Generation Y changes throughout the next 10 years. While I feel it could be a phase, I also feel our generation doesn't view marriage the same way our parents do.
I agree absolutely, and feel as though our society as a whole has hifted to a now now now, self gratification mentality. This has lent itself fully to the prevalence and widespread acceptance of mass partner counts, and proclivity towards the one night stand or hook up culture.

I am of the same mindset as you, and think that it is irresponsible. My favorite part about it though, is how those people think there will never be any consequences for those actions, and think that no one should judge them based on their tendencies toward that kind of behavior. It can and does in a lot of cases, bite you in the arse.

·
Registered
596 Posts
As a 21 year old musician, I'm consistently surrounded by friends and colleagues who love to party, drink, etc. It seems that every one of my guy friends is about getting lucky for the night. It's basically the number one priority for everybody when we go out. As an ISFP, I like to have fun but I just view romance on a much deeper level... I really have to like somebody and get to know them for me to pursue anything more. Sex is more than just a physical thing for me.

Anyone else think like this? :perc2:
hook-up culture should be nuked into the stone-age. but if everyone is going to do it, then fuck it (both literally and figuratively)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
@dozer I'm the same way as you. I once apparently turned down a one night stand while blackout drunk before if that tells you anything about how I am haha. But after partying a decent amount my senior year of high school and my first two years of college, I got tired of it. This past year was tough as I lived in the fraternity house where the whole party/hook up culture sucked me in a bit. The problem is, my whole social life revolved around getting fucked up for the most part and I'm worried my senior year is going to be pretty lonely. I'm also totally with you on the whole getting to know people first. I've been in three serious relationships while most of my peers/friends have barely, if ever, been in one. Sometimes I feel like I'll never find someone but then I remind myself that I've basically spent the majority (maybe 60%) of the past four years in relationships so it can still happen lol. And who knows, maybe it will be an advantage when I need to be a real adult and I'll be surrounded by real adults. Optimism lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Less people are hooking up than you would think. My main thing with this is, if a girl has a significant history...shes used goods and Im not interested. So, the women who participate in it lose me as a suitor.

Its hard for me to even think of a good reason to marry a non virgin. So, yeah...
Even though now Im aftet a girl who Im pretty sure isnt a virgin. Which just makes me angry..shes just lucky I have no other choice but to pursue.

Hopefully she turns out to be awful and I can take my self elsewhere.

But, even in college...there were many virgin girls I knew. so, yeah..just concentrate on what you want and block out the noise imo. Dont believe the hype.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Relations are overrated, enjoy the sex thing before it's too late!!!!!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
When is it too late?

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I couldn't be attracted to someone who engaged in hookup culture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts