Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It says in many articles that I've read that INFJ's can work well with any profession as most anyone can; but they look for something deeper and more meaningful... A calling to do something.

Though many of us may resonate well with how the INFJ personality works, all of us would be different and my diverge from the definition too. I am curious as to what others think about what their ideal profession would be like or what qualities a profession must have to be appealing and appeasing to the self.

You may share experiences if you have already found your calling, or if you haven't, then I'd like to hear your perspectives on what a deeper cause would be like. What would you want to do for the rest of your life and committ to as an occupation and profession and why?

Hopefully this would be helpful to others who are struggling with their current jobs and give a little enlightenment; but this is just hopeful thinking. Looking forward to everyone's answers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If we tailor this with realism, I think my ideal profession will be something reflecting my experience, skills, and general desires for and in life so far.

For me, it has taken me to law school.

Why law? Good question. I think it's a challenging profession that utilises the my intellect fully (and I am a person who needs my mind to be engaged in my work) and it, particularly biglaw, has opened my eyes to things, people, and wider issues that I don't think I would know, or know as much, about if I were to engage in the typical solitary INFJ pursuits such as writing and the arts. It has challenged my potential and it has also given me valuable skills in society that I can use to help others, perhaps in a more indirect way than that suggested in your typical INFJ article but possibly in a more influential way (e.g. affecting many individuals rather than just one at a time). And I think the legal system can use more of the unique skills/abilities that INFJs possess.

I won't say it's my 'calling' as I'm inclined to believe that no-one has a 'calling' in the romantic sense of the word - for me, you don't 'find' your calling: you have to do it or at least do something, and I believe that INFJs find meaning in all they do - but even apart from that, I don't think I 'just' want to do law all my life. I also write on the side and I like to engage in creative activities.

Materially speaking, working in law has its perks which satisfies my Se. For me, being financially independent and stable is very important - apart from being able to buy things that I want, I can have greater control over the type of lifestyle I want to lead, including basic things like being able to afford the type of education I want my children to receive (though this is a looong way off - I'm only 21; just shows the extent of my J !)

I mean, if we were to take the constraints of daily living and affordability out of the equation, my 'ideal' job would be a full-time writer. :laughing: But I'm inclined to agree with another writer who told me that he couldn't write properly when he was worrying about the bills etc.

I'll let you guys how I go in this field as I'm only at the only beginning, due to graduate law school at the end of next year and start working the year after.

EDIT: Could I ask you @Gettingacrossthebridge what you do or where you are at?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Theater! The english language! Writing!
Atleast I want those to be mine. I feel stupid now for not taking the extra English class in my school.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EDIT: Could I ask you @Gettingacrossthebridge what you do or where you are at?

I am from the philippines. I finished a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, but I don't see myself working as one the way things are going in my country now. I'd rather not go with the flow as a huge number of students stampeded into this degree, and now there aren't enough jobs for us. It'll always be apart of me nonetheless...

I'm surprised you were the first one to reply. In your thread about the cocktail party, I was going to ask you if you enjoyed law, but I got my answer on this thread so thanks.

If I had my way, I'd pursue music. I love writing and everything, but I think it pushes me deeper into my solitude and bears the fruit of loneliness. Only in engaging in things like this forum am I freed from that. I've always wanted to rebel against myself and not be as shy as I am in the real world. I've always coveted the disposition of the musician, who is seen in awe by many as he demonstrates numerous techniques through his brilliant musical phrases.

In the real world, the only profession that is catching my eye is Counseling. It works well with my mind, solitude, and myself as a whole. I don't mind if I can't solve another person's problem 100%, which won't always be the case if you are a counselor, but directing them to think differently when they are ready to and to realize that life has many options, each having their advantages and disadvantages seems like a wonderful thing my mind wants to pursue. I've performed that under the veil of anonymity here on this forum. I don't get through to people most of the time, but I believe I can present them with another way of looking at the world, which gives me a feeling of fulfillment.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm lucky enough to be in my ideal profession: archives. I love it. I'm surrounded by history all day, and my job is essentially to uncover people's stories and make them accessible and beneficial to others. It may not be a heroic profession: it's a quiet job that requires intellect, organization, and attention to detail. But I love helping researchers - usually genealogists or people writing a book - but to be able to find something that, on the surface, looks old and insignificant only to find the deeper meaning and importance behind it is sort of our way of saying, "Don't worry...you're not forgotten."

Weird, I know, but I love my job.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am a college student, but my passion would be to become an Archaeologist, or perhaps a historian, or museum worker,or anthropologist something that involves my love for history, my social skills, and my other interests in geography and psychology. But I suppose in the coming years I will narrow it down to find exactly what I love, God willing :).

·
Banned
114 Posts
Understanding existence is my goal, and the way that I intend to approach this is by understanding the mind and consciousness. I'm studying Philosophy and Cognitive Science currently and hope for this to be the correct first stepping stone. In the perfect world I would be an modern Amazonian/African-style Shaman, taking Ayahuasca/Ibogaine/DMT on a regular basis in order to heal other people and to further my knowledge of reality. One day perhaps. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an associate's degree in Marketing and am working on a bachelor's in Advertising. I like that it mixes art with business -- I think it's my 'J,' but freelance art isn't as structured of a profession as I'd like. I feel strongly about working with a company that's ethical, but am willing to work for the big guys on my way there. I currently work for a large corporation, actually.

If my interests alone chose my degree (rather than a mix of interests and career goals), I'd be an Art History major with a specialization in contemporary art (it was my major, briefly), or possibly a Women's & Gender Studies major. I love a lot of typical N stuff though, so psychology, writing, art, sociology -- all interesting to me! I'm currently considering an Art History minor, as I'd love to do media stuff in an art museum setting, but am unsure if it'd be beneficial.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I am a college student, but my passion would be to become an Archaeologist, or perhaps a historian, or museum worker,or anthropologist something that involves my love for history, my social skills, and my other interests in geography and psychology. But I suppose in the coming years I will narrow it down to find exactly what I love, God willing :).
@Redworah, never, never give up that dream. You are old enough to have settled wishes for the future, and that is where your happiness lies. But be prepared for the sacrifices. . .dreams do not come free.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I did not go with my callings -and that has led to different experiences. I did some good things with my life, no sorrow for that, but have a feeling so much is yet undone, and time runs out.

Maybe following the wrong path gave experiences that made me better at what I loved, at the end. I am looking back with perfect clarity: you - the others who have posted - are looking into an uncertain future. And I wish for you a life of profound discovery.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not go with my callings -and that has led to different experiences. I did some good things with my life, no sorrow for that, but have a feeling so much is yet undone, and time runs out.

Maybe following the wrong path gave experiences that made me better at what I loved, at the end. I am looking back with perfect clarity: you - the others who have posted - are looking into an uncertain future. And I wish for you a life of profound discovery.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

·
Meh.
8,047 Posts
@LiteratureNerd: I want your job. Can I please have your job?

I have studied Law and received my LL.M title 3 years ago. I absolutely loved studying law. My thesis has been a law-historical research and I couldn't have been more happy: spending hours leafing through dusty old text books and trying to read old texts.

Due to circumstances I have stuck with my job in recruitment and have moved around the world in the last year. Convenience has led me to still be in Recruitment to which I have a love/hate relationship. I enjoy the people side of it but it is also exactly what has me drained at the end of the day. I long to find a job that is more suited to my personality and that doesn't drain me as much as this job does but I haven't been able to identify that just yet. Working in Law isn't a viable option as I would have to change over my degree to the country where I'm at now. Plus I'm not really sure if a law firm is the environment I'd be happy in anyway.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I also want @LiteratureNerd's job!

I work in law. Things I love: (1) it's always a mental challenge. (2) I get to read and write a lot. (3) I am paid a lot to use my brain. (4) My income is nice for three reasons: (i) Se creature comforts (I'm not a materialistic person - I have a modest apartment, no car, and a vintage clanker bike, and I live well below my means, but I do have my little INFJ quirks - art, vintage-y shoes, some fashion - I like quality, not labels); (ii) stability! - I grew up in a financially unstable environment, and it deeply affected me - I sort of need to know I'm not going to be on the street any time soon; and (iii) it helps me help my family out, who live below the poverty line and struggle a lot. (5) I like my practice area a lot - it's fast moving, cutting-edge, and I get to work with industries I find fascinating.

Things I do not love: (1) lawyers can be aggressive and irritating, and will quibble over nonsense - I hate dealing with them. (2) so many people - I find it absolutely draining. (3) the hours suck - still haven't taken vacay this year. (4) I'd like more time in my life for hobbies and passions, as opposed to fighting the big fight for companies. (5) I feel like I work with a lot of folks who are in it for the money, and even though I have really great work friends, I don't relate to most people. (6) Sometimes, the work is routine and boring, and being a lawyer really involves a certain talent and tolerance for dealing with mundane details. As an Ni dominant, I'm much better with the big picture and seeing concepts. But that's any job, I suppose.

What I would like to do, or feel like I missed my calling at:

-Teaching! I love working with people. I used to coach sports, and really loved it. It's draining, but rewarding.
- Going back to school! Perhaps becoming an academic. I love learning and studying.
- Counseling!
- Writing! I still write a lot (mostly poetry) and am currently working on shopping some new poems around. FWIW: being a poet is no way to earn a living.

·
Registered
607 Posts
id say a teacher. hands down. Ni always at work, Fe socializing and to the perfect extent. and The rest as well. I love my chemistry teacher alot (INFJ ofc), and this being my last year in school...i can surely say that she will be one of those people ill miss alooot! :p Shes a PERFECT teacher...lovely, kind, reserved, overflowing with passion for her students and subject, contemplative, mysterious! aah so I think INFJs would make great great teachers =)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
id say a teacher. hands down. Ni always at work, Fe socializing and to the perfect extent. and The rest as well. I love my chemistry teacher alot (INFJ ofc), and this being my last year in school...i can surely say that she will be one of those people ill miss alooot! :p Shes a PERFECT teacher...lovely, kind, reserved, overflowing with passion for her students and subject, contemplative, mysterious! aah so I think INFJs would make great great teachers =)
Both because of my subject and my teacher in highschool too - the reason why I put that on my college entrance exam. I passed but decided to become a nurse because everyone else was doing it and it seemed like a more humanitarian job. I also wanted to work abroad too, and saw that as a good means to be able to do so. Boy, was that a big mistake: everyone else saw that route too and it was more like a stampede to finishing the degree and it still remains too competitive for job seekers. That's the last time I'm going with the trend!

MBTI says that INFJ's may prefer jobs like teaching and counseling. I can see that here too. I'm glad others are giving their differing stances on this. I don't know, but I think I might go for another job that keeps me from going bankrupt, then I'll leave soon after... I don't know... I think somewhere deep inside me, I'm conflicted about being or not being a nurse, which I find silly because the job is taxing and exhausting, and more to that, it may be next to impossible for me to find a nurse's job in this country that would help me keep myself (pay bills, buy food, etc.)

Then again, all jobs are taxing and exhausting in some way aren't they?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am currently studying undergrad electrical engineering and it is more than I can ever ask for. I have a slight knack for math and the concept of engineering in general utilizes my creativity to the max. "create so and so and meet these constraints, sky is the limit"
BAAAAM!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Both because of my subject and my teacher in highschool too - the reason why I put that on my college entrance exam. I passed but decided to become a nurse because everyone else was doing it and it seemed like a more humanitarian job. I also wanted to work abroad too, and saw that as a good means to be able to do so. Boy, was that a big mistake: everyone else saw that route too and it was more like a stampede to finishing the degree and it still remains too competitive for job seekers. That's the last time I'm going with the trend!

MBTI says that INFJ's may prefer jobs like teaching and counseling. I can see that here too. I'm glad others are giving their differing stances on this. I don't know, but I think I might go for another job that keeps me from going bankrupt, then I'll leave soon after... I don't know... I think somewhere deep inside me, I'm conflicted about being or not being a nurse, which I find silly because the job is taxing and exhausting, and more to that, it may be next to impossible for me to find a nurse's job in this country that would help me keep myself (pay bills, buy food, etc.)

Then again, all jobs are taxing and exhausting in some way aren't they?
aah its ok, nurse was a great choice! i dont know much about the jobs and the economy, but i bet there is a lot you can do with what you have studied. maybe even teach biology to high school kids =) if you are passionate about what you do then all the latter intricacies are just are negligible. If continuing nursing is what your heart says, then follow it! If not, then go out in search for something you would love to do everyday! Go on a teeny job hunt and try to find any teaching jobs...the demand for them is always high. you could even start tuition! all the best!

·
Meh.
8,047 Posts
Oh sweet serendipity! I have just sent in an application for a position at the library of the local university.

If I were an extrovert I'd be jumping on my table right now. Instead I'm sitting here with a mild smile. I'm also already starting to freak out how I'm going to overcome the guilt of leaving my current manager.

:) books.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts