Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been involved with mbti for the past few years, and the functions are still confusing to me. Confusing in a sense that I am too blind to my own personality to be able to see which ones I got. Well tbh in general I never remember the theory so I gotta google every fucking time when I want to give some time for this.
But honestly, I don't want to give any time for this topic. It's a waste of my time but I'm still obsessed because I just want the clarity about my type. I don't want to have a reoccurring doubt about my type only to realize I probably use other functions than what I thought I would.

I've been through so many damn types and right now my mind is just mush. I don't get how some people can nerd out on the theory just for the sake of it. Well, now that we're at it, I'll just rant because why not. Let it all out.

I thought I had TE but now I think I might have TI. I always considered I had TE because I wasn't that interested in getting too deep about topics and I just wanted to get things done. But then I started reconsidering how I like that things are exact and that I give a shit about how something is done. If something is done -well- the first time, then THAT is efficient because it won't need fixing later on.
I used to think I got FI but now I think I got FE. I can be brutal and hurt other people's feelings, even knowingly, because ''tough love'' and I see it as helping them out in an aggressive way. But I still most often put other people's needs before my own or over-extend myself for someone. Yet at the same time, I don't particularly like harmony. I find it more fun to create dysfunction in a group because it creates more energy. I can't stand an environment that's full of fake niceties and the vibe of ''let's just ignore everything bad and pretend everything is fine and nice here! :)<3'' holy fuck.
What else..ig right now I'm most conflicted about SE and SI. I've been leaning towards SE. NE and NI isn't that clear either. I've always thought it'd be NI. I can usually pin-point the most likely reason for something. I've also wondered could NE just be some subconscious process for me so that I'm not highly aware of when I scan the possible options for something. Then again people write a lot about NE's tendency to branch out and search ''patterns'', whatever that means.
You know, I hate MBTI for the lack of good concrete examples. Either everything is written in abstract bullshit or the examples are unrealistic black and white differences. I tried getting into OPS as a theory but I'm not getting far there either.

As a person I'm pretty calm ig, can be anxious, usually think before saying smth, I can be indulgent on food, music or the internet but I also got a history of being a high achiever at school. Idk if I'm just in some low place rn or if that was some phase. I do well at uni but I don't give a fuck about the institution, little fuck is given about the subjects I've tried. Yeah, multiple. I don't really have many friends. I got some acquaintances, mostly online. I don't get myself to interact IRL although I wish I had a variety of friends there. When I was younger, I had a lot of ''friends'' at school but then shit happened and now I pull away from people. I tend to have friendships that only last for some seasons. Sometimes I feel nostalgic about it but most of the times I don't think about it. What comes to my productivity.. I think without a list I get nothing done. But if I got a list, I'm more productive. I've also noticed that those group study streams are really nice because it feels like I'm studying with other people. It's cool. I can talk about a variety of subjects but I don't really have any special interests where I want to be an expert. I get angry easily when people don't do things in the best way, aka my way. I have a tendency to want to force people to do things my way. But I can also be an extremely good helper with the emotion stuff. Sometimes I feel like a therapist to some people and I don't really understand why. Maybe because I can listen to them, imo most people just want to talk instead of listen. I'm not particularly interested in sports. Well, I wanted to start calisthenics and I still might do that. I'm not particularly good at sports either, except from badminton. I also cycled and skied when I was a kid, even won some competition. Eh what else... all this is basically bullshit because anyone with any cognitive function stack could have those characteristics in varying amounts. Ig this is more for giving a vibe about me in case someone gives a shit. Not that I expect to. Tbh I hate people who post their test results online and ask people to type them, yet I'm now one of those semi-selfish people.
Right now I just want to forget everything about my life, have a shitload of money and travel to Norway and try out snowboarding. Eh I guess this also reminds me of not wanting to think about my problems and my avoidant nature.
This post is such a fucking mess but at least I wrote a lot, tho in a few hours I'll probably think what the fuck did I think
I wish I didn't feel like such a dumbass with the function stuff lmao, my brain is not braining.

Oh right, the types I've mostly considered lately have been ESTP and ENTP. Tho for the longest time I considered ENTJ and INTJ. INTP a bit but eh I don't really feel it. Now that I think of it, I've probably considered all of the types at some point but NTs were always the top ones. Sensors were never at the top but isn't there a saying how intuitives can often mistype themselves as sensors and the other way around. So, I wouldn't be surprised.
Now I'm getting tired and really bored so this is it

Thanks, if you read it. Comments are welcome

·
Registered
33 Posts
My huband is an ENTP. He gave up trying to type himself and called it all bullhsit at one point. It's been a hobby of mine for a bit, which is the only reason he revisited it. It was difficult for him because he can be so adaptable - he switches more easily from one mode to another than most. He can easily see how he uses all of the functions, in both directions, which we all do.

There is such a mix of mostly misleading and really good information online. I don't know if that's an issue for you though. My favorite resource is Site Index @mbti-notes. There are four study guides on there that explain things well. I don't type people unless I know them well, and even then it is still up to them.

Perhaps you could use a break from it? I wish I'd taken more when I was figuring my type out; I was rather obsessed. I'd stay up late reading and taking notes because I 'had to' nail it down. I even bought a couple of books (before I found that website)... but it's not a holy grail or anything. It was just something that I knew I needed to know. Maybe it's something you need to know. You'll make use of it. Having an extra layer of understanding for how you work and how others work has all sorts of applications.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Atm I think we can probably reliably place our dom function (and thru that, inferior). And have some grasp of aux.

As for MBTI just use the four letters, Step II facets are very straightforward.

I think the issue is, you are trying to get MBTI type/functions explain everything when it obviously isn't capable of doing that!

Reactions: intranst

·
Registered
135 Posts
Atm I think we can probably reliably place our dom function (and thru that, inferior). And have some grasp of secondary.

I think the issue is, you are trying to get MBTI type/functions explain everything when it obviously isn't capable of doing that!
Because it's pseudoscience. I'm only here for the memes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Atm I think we can probably reliably place our dom function (and thru that, inferior). And have some grasp of aux.

Why would you use just the letters when it's completely wrong?
The issue is, I am not able to spot the overall trends in myself which would lead me to a conclusion about the functions. I can only see random pieces I am not able to categorize neatly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My huband is an ENTP. He gave up trying to type himself and called it all bullhsit at one point. It's been a hobby of mine for a bit, which is the only reason he revisited it. It was difficult for him because he can be so adaptable - he switches more easily from one mode to another than most. He can easily see how he uses all of the functions, in both directions, which we all do.

There is such a mix of mostly misleading and really good information online. I don't know if that's an issue for you though. My favorite resource is Site Index @mbti-notes. There are four study guides on there that explain things well. I don't type people unless I know them well, and even then it is still up to them.

Perhaps you could use a break from it? I wish I'd taken more when I was figuring my type out; I was rather obsessed. I'd stay up late reading and taking notes because I 'had to' nail it down. I even bought a couple of books (before I found that website)... but it's not a holy grail or anything. It was just something that I knew I needed to know. Maybe it's something you need to know. You'll make use of it. Having an extra layer of understanding for how you work and how others work has all sorts of applications.
Thanks, I've been visiting that site from time to time. And yeah, the internet is full of bullshit info unfortunately
Tbh I just had year-long break from trying to type myself but the shit show just keeps shitting

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Why would you use just the letters when it's completely wrong?
Where did you get that idea from?
The issue is, I am not able to spot the overall trends in myself which would lead me to a conclusion about the functions. I can only see random pieces I am not able to categorize neatly.
Can you see those trends in other people though?

People who are not into MBTI are generally able to tell if someone is a F or T type, for example. They just use other terminology for it.

·
Registered
INFP
725 Posts
Combinations of letters correlate to the positioning of cognitive functions so yes it makes sense to use letters, just not so much in the typical "J types have routines" way. ENxJs can actually be pretty chaotic in the physical world because of the position of Se, they will likely however be very structured in how they view things intuitively (Ni).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts