Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 'Independence' Mother
ENTP (Extraverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving)

"When I held my babies, I always faced them outward so they could take in the world."

Full of energy and confident in her own self-sufficiency and competence, the ENTP mother encourages her children—as a role model and as a teacher—to be independent and confident on their own in the world.

A "big picture" person, she points out options and possibilities along the way. Objective and logical as well, the ENTP wants her children to evaluate their choices and learn from the consequences of their own decisions.

The ENTP mother is resourceful and action-oriented. She likes going places and doing things with her children, exploring all that life has to offer. She is less concerned with rules, routines, and schedules. Introducing her children to new concepts and activities, challenging them, and stimulating their intellectual development are top priorities.

Tips:
The ENTP mother needs to provide herself with intellectual stimulation, variety, and situations that allow her to function independently. Whether paid or volunteer positions, work outside the home may be ideal if she can be her own boss and follow a flexible schedule. She is also likely to be energized by time spent with interesting friends or engaging in solitary, physically active pursuits such as jogging.
The greatest gift an ENTP mother can give herself may be help in those areas where she is least comfortable. A child care provider who enjoys spending time with children at home, a reliable housekeeper, or a spouse who is a homebody may provide balance for children who thrive on tradition and routine.

Strengths:
Energetic spontaneity. The ENTP mother is "always" ready to drop what she's doing for an outing or new experience, from accepting a last-minute invitation to a museum to assisting young entrepreneurs with the start-up of a lawn care business. Seldom bogged down with day-to-day "drudgery," she can bring a breath of fresh air and a new perspective to any situation.
Encouraging independence. The ENTP mother gives her children the space they need to develop self-sufficiency and confidence. Early on, she creates and supports opportunities for them to be out on their own, mastering their independence.
Teaching. From grocery shopping to standing in line at the post office, the ENTP mother brings her children along to experience the world. A wonderful teacher of "life," she sees every activity and moment in the day as an opportunity for children to learn about life and expand their minds.
Tolerance and acceptance. The ENTP mother takes pleasure in the variety each child brings to the family. She lets children do their own thing and refrains from pigeon-holing them. In action and words, she demonstrates respect for self and others.

Struggles:
Inactivity. With her need for action, variety, and independence, the ENTP mother finds it draining to be homebound with a newborn or sick child. She may also find it difficult to adjust to children who are slower paced than she.
Clingy children. If she has a child who is physically clingy or emotionally needy, the ENTP mother may worry that he or she will never be independent or self-sufficient. She also finds she's uncomfortable in the "tender loving care" role.
Household routines. Impatient with the details and schedules of day-to-day living, the ENTP mother may struggle to carry out daily routines. She may let mundane chores turn into mini-crises… and end up doing laundry at 2 A.M. when there's no clean underwear.

Link and more types can be found at: http://life.familyeducation.com/mothers/parenting/61843.html

·
Registered
722 Posts
Welp, this has reinforced that my mother is not ENTP.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
lol sounds exactly like how I would be as a mother. Especially the being uncomfortable in the "tender loving care" department part.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Don't know how I stand up to that, but typically I am not the stay at home parent. I am quite lazy though, and not always good at taking the kids out to do stuff. I was awful with them when they were toddlers because they were just so boring. These days I love to see what they are getting interested in, and facilitate that as much as possible.
The only other comment I'd make is that if there are two parents in the home it is their dynamic that generates an overall parenting role. I spend a fair amount of time dealing with himself's ENFJ fatherness......

·
Registered
722 Posts
My mom is like a weird mix of something. I wanna say she's thinking...because her (and probably even her mother) are kinda weird in the feeling department at times. Somewhat distant but at the same time not...but I know she's not NT....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think my mom is an INXP. She seems pretty borderline on the F/T scale. She's not really interested in intellectual pursuits, but she was more of an "independence" mother. She let me and my brother learn on our own and experience the world and it was important to her that we learned to be our own person and be independent. She was accepting and would not have cared how we ended up as long as we had a strong mind and could take care of ourselves.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My mom is like a weird mix of something. I wanna say she's thinking...because her (and probably even her mother) are kinda weird in the feeling department at times. Somewhat distant but at the same time not...but I know she's not NT....
ISFJ! I am certain now. I knew there was some weird mix of Ne and Si for the longest time but I couldn't be sure what it was until this very moment.

So, there you go past self!

LMAO.

I think I read something about how there was a tendency for ENTP's to have ISFJ mothers a while ago. Does anyone else find this to be true?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think I read something about how there was a tendency for ENTP's to have ISFJ mothers a while ago. Does anyone else find this to be true?
Growing up, my mother was ISTP (I found her test results from 1990 :D). She tested again a couple of months ago, and she is now xNFP.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think it's hard to guess your mother's type: perhaps that is because your relationship with her is bigger than your perception of her?

I got my Mum to do a test recently. She came out INTJ, which I was very surprised by. But my new sister in law, who is a MB facilitator, guessed that would be her type.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think it's hard to guess your mother's type: perhaps that is because your relationship with her is bigger than your perception of her?

I got my Mum to do a test recently. She came out INTJ, which I was very surprised by. But my new sister in law, who is a MB facilitator, guessed that would be her type.
It is tougher. Part of it I think is that your parent is older and has often toned down the distinctiveness of their functions. Not always, but probably more than not. Then you have to kind of remove your own bias which is hard because of your relationship with them.

For me it's also harder 'cause I couldn't see how my mom acts when she's around anyone outside of the family so I had to pay closer attention to her and also in spite the fact that I often disagree with her i'm not super critical of her in the same way that I am with anyone else so I had to do more observing than usual.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My mother tested during this x-mas after she heard me speak about it. Not sure if she could understand all the English (mbti9000-test) but she came out as xSTJ. I got quite surprised actually, since I thought she would be more I-N-P..but guess I never really tried to analyze how she could be so amazing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My mother tested during this x-mas after she heard me speak about it. Not sure if she could understand all the English (mbti9000-test) but she came out as xSTJ. I got quite surprised actually, since I thought she would be more I-N-P..but guess I never really tried to analyze how she could be so amazing.
I originally started thinking my mother was ENFP. I saw her as a P type for some reason as well from the start. But I couldn't fully back it up with a function so I kept being unsure. I knew I saw Ne randomness and some Si behaviors but I couldn't fully tell which was dominant and which was not.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I originally started thinking my mother was ENFP. I saw her as a P type for some reason as well from the start. But I couldn't fully back it up with a function so I kept being unsure. I knew I saw Ne randomness and some Si behaviors but I couldn't fully tell which was dominant and which was not.
If you break it down to the 4 letters it should be possible to recognize the types but when testing MBTI it also bring surprises.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sounds like me whenever I'm stuck around kids now.

I love the ones that are smart and independent, hate the ones that cling to me like leeches and are constantly looking for my approval. Ugh.

My mother scores as ISxJ. I guessed exactly right. Her T and F are ridiculously balanced, though. Her N and S are pretty close too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you break it down to the 4 letters it should be possible to recognize the types but when testing MBTI it also bring surprises.
I did that like one time for my ENFP friend. But there are times where it isn't as easy. So I prefer to analyze people by function. I feel more of a sense of accuracy when I do it that way.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I think they may also be frustrated with stupid or shallow kids who engage in rituals they think are stupid.. it's good to be supportive of hobbies, but the bullshit filter is there for a reason.. you might want to teach those SJ kids a little uncertainty.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I did that like one time for my ENFP friend. But there are times where it isn't as easy. So I prefer to analyze people by function. I feel more of a sense of accuracy when I do it that way.
Ok:happy: I have not spent too much time on it.

But I am quite unpleasant when it comes to pick someones brain. I am constantly looking for the "truth" behind someones face..sometimes it gets so bad that I seem to skip every traffic rule. Its similar to "I know you are hiding something..so just show it to me right away..".

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok:happy: I have not spent too much time on it.

But I am quite unpleasant when it comes to pick someones brain. I am constantly looking for the "truth" behind someones face..sometimes it gets so bad that I seem to skip every traffic rule. Its similar to "I know you are hiding something..so just show it to me right away..".
LOL. I hear that! I've always had a chronic habit of analyzing other people. They never even know that i'm doing it and with Jung's theory firmly implanted in my brain I find myself using it constantly when I get bored of conversation and start to disconnect. It's pretty interesting to see how people interact especially once you've successfully typed them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts