Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you always thinking about things that could go wrong, things that are wrong, or any such thing thereof? I am.
Is there always going to be something wrong, and is that what we are/would be like in our relationships with other NTs? And I know we will think about everything about it until our "head falls off", oh, and then discover that we didn't (think of everything that could go wrong)-there was something we "missed".
What do we need to do about this? What can we do about this?
Please share your thoughts.

*Please also share how or if you believe chaos, malice, fear, deliberate wrongdoing or Chaos Theory factors into things here.

Thanks for everything in advance. Good Luck to this thread.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
lol I never worry about anything.

I find it easy working under pressure and dealing with crises is where I shine and what comes most natural to me, so no i never worry about anything.. although I probably should, since my like of worry often causes problems.

For example, if I was going to be a doctor I'd want to work in the ER. Putting out fires is what I like to do. I never worry about what could go wrong.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don’t really worry about shit going to hell in a handbasket because I’ve made peace with every possible outcome - in some cases up to and including death. Plus, it’s not like life is always roulette. There are some things I can affect pretty drastically, and I’m the most fucking awesome incarnation of a person ever so...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm at my best when my backs to the wall. High pressure situations are where I thrive. And something always goes wrong. The only things I can't really deal with are relationships and emotions. Too many variables and there's only so much you can do before you go insane.

Only time I feel like I'm losing my mind is when I have to deal with my own emotions. They're unstable when they get out of whack. Impulsive decisions happen. Mistakes are made. Or are they mistakes? maybe that's just what needed to happen, what you really wanted, but now you've over complicated things and this has set a chain of events into motion that are currently snowballing into bigger events and you're trying to navigate between them because you're indecisive and the pros and cons are equal and you have to make a choice but it just keeps getting further and further out of control and you want to leave the country and abandon everything.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Are you always thinking about things that could go wrong, things that are wrong, or any such thing thereof? I am.
Is there always going to be something wrong, and is that what we are/would be like in our relationships with other NTs? And I know we will think about everything about it until our "head falls off", oh, and then discover that we didn't (think of everything that could go wrong)-there was something we "missed".

*Please also share how or if you believe chaos, malice, fear, deliberate wrongdoing or Chaos Theory factors into things here.

I live by Murphy's Laws.
Murphy's laws

1. If anything can go wrong, it will.
  2. If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the first one to go wrong.
  3. If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
  4. If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
  5. Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
  6. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
  7. Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
  8. Mother nature is a bitch.
O'toole's commentary on Murphy's laws

Murphy was an optimist.

Ginsberg's theorems

1. You can't win.
  2. You can't break even.
  3. You can't even quit the game.
Forsyth's second corollary to Murphy's laws

Just when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, the roof caves in.
Addition to Murphy's laws

In nature, nothing is ever right. therefore, if everything is going right...something is wrong.
Gumperson's law

The probability of anything happening is in inverse ratio to its desirability.

Zymurg's seventh exception to Murphy's law

When it rains, it pours

Pudder's laws

1. Anything that begins well ends badly
  2. Anything that begins badly ends worse.

Westheimer's rule

To estimate the time it takes to do a task: estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus, we allocate two days for a one hour task.

Stockmayer's theorem

If it looks easy, it's tough. If it looks tough, it's damn near impossible.

Finagle's fourth law

Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it will only make it worse.

Flap's law

Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Not really. I'm a realist rather than a pessimist. I prepare for the worst, but I don't anticipate the worst possible outcome which could happen.

Chaos is an arbitrary word to refer to either those things we can't predict, or those things we can't control. The things we call chaos are part of the natural laws which define our world.

·
Registered
636 Posts

yes i'm always considering how things could go wrong, as well as every other possibility. I view wrong possibilities as not being guaranteed though and there are ways to interact with our environments to make them potentially less likely to happen. Generally, I fixate on the things that can go right more than the things that can go wrong. I'm fairly good in emergency situations, i am an EMT and it felt more natural. Part of it is that i've been trained for it though, i was a bit nervous before that because i didnt know what could of happened but anytime an emergency situation happens some weird sense of calm focus takes over and its ok. If i'm going to worry, it happens before. Anyways, i am generally very optimistic because even if i don't know immediately how to handle a situation i do believe in my ability to learn how to deal with it. Everybody starts somewhere right?

It depends though, because if i feel less comfortable with something i can be more negative towards it. For example, im not the most comfortable dealing with strong turbulent emotions, so i'm considering the negatives more when dealing with that. I've been dealing with new psychological stuff lately that doesn't naturally align with my strengths. Anyways less comfort/less confidence can sometimes mean more anxiety, which usually means i'm more focused on the negatives. However, just because i'm more focused on the negative outcomes doesn't mean that those outcomes are more likely to happen. That is a problem with my perspective, not a problem with my outside world. I can change that. Thing is, we can never fully control our environment. The best thing we can do is accept this and learn to adapt. If we aren't originally good at it we will get better at it the more we practice. But i do think adapting is closer to more of a natural strength. So I guess in these moments I remind myself that i'm still capable of learning the things i don't know and realizing that the things less intuitive that i encounter will get better over time.

I view relationships in the same way. Yeah, i might not be great at something now, but i will at least be decent, maybe even good, at it later. Because of this most of the time, I'm just not worried about it. That and because when one door closes doesn't mean all doors closes. I'm always consider that there are other opportunities out there too. It is not the end of the world if things don't work out.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
16,491 Posts

ENTPs are adaptable. We thrive in flux. Change is our bread and butter.

Why worry about what could go wrong?

Have you looked into Enneagram type 6?

·
Registered
189 Posts
1. Are you always thinking about things that could go wrong, things that are wrong, or any such thing thereof?
I try not to...For the most part. I've experienced a lot of shit that has gone horribly wrong in the past year, so that's mostly why I fault. I consider myself a pessimist at this stage. I'm really trying to not feel so bad about things, but it's difficult.

2. Is there always going to be something wrong, and is that what we are/would be like in our relationships with other NTs?
Me, personally, I believe that there's always going to be something wrong. Big or small. That's how it works. I won't answer for "relationships with other NT's" because I find that to be an unnecessary issue.

3. And I know we will think about everything about it until our "head falls off", oh, and then discover that we didn't (think of everything that could go wrong)-there was something we "missed".

We play it by ear. That's what I find we're good at. Planning ahead is always a good step to take. Prepare for the worst (and the best) and work with what you get.

4. *Please also share how or if you believe chaos, malice, fear, deliberate wrongdoing or Chaos Theory factors into things here.
These things can be factored in by theorists, but I feel most of it just has to do with how you react to things. Don't act stupidly, act accordingly. That's about as xNTJ you'll ever witness me be, but it's needed. If you don't want things to go to shit, do your best to not let them. I realize how small and unmoving you can be against an accident or something being done without your knowing, but that's not the point. Keep yourself in check. Don't be stupid. That's stupid.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Only murphy's laws can save my ego whenever I've tried too hard not to fail but still failed miserably. And people, since they are usually the main culprits and easily blameable too so why not. Haha.

Relationship with other NT? I want to be with them since they are the only ones whom i can talk to on so many things. My problem with ENTP is I don't see you differentiate the way I do cuz you simply play with every single breathing human being no matter what. That'd make you a hard material for friendship. Please toy with the non NTs, satisfy your appetite (until your head fall off) there and return as a best friend.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Things going wrong??? Well if that isnt right I dont know what is.

I may only fix things. For that..things must go wrong.

I will even make problems just to see if I can fix them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts