Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.
Are you one of the less than organized INFJs? If so, how does it manifest? Where is that one consistently disorganized part of your life?

Mine is my car. It is not disgustingly messy. There are no bits of decomposing food or half-full sodas, but it does have a tendency to accumulate an excessive amount of junk.

At other times it was one particular closet. My apartment was always spartan and spotless, it did not even look as though anyone lived there, except for this closet where I would cram all the loose ends and random objects.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
My mind is more disorganized than my life. Although my room can get messy... i clean it enough.

But my mind... some memories I wont forget... others slip away too easily. Some inane information about someone's body language... or a laugh and smile sticks instantly while doctors appointments and work schedules slip away.

I've been classified technically as having a non-verbal learning disability because of my mind's sporadic nature... (despite graduating high school with a 4.1 GPA).

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I tend to stay away from organizing my thoughts.
it keeps a clear and organized enviornment.

that way I can actaully keep on top of the people in my life.
I am finding that way of life is less stressful for me rather than trying to fit my thoughts into the world or other peoples dreams if I simply just "flow" and let the organization happen organically I find solace.

It's almost like being in everyone's head at once but being totally alone and at the same time you can decide which pieces you want to illuminate more based on simple random thoughts...see because they are no longer the thing that is organized.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Are you one of the less than organized INFJs? If so, how does it manifest? Where is that one consistently disorganized part of your life?

Mine is my car. It is not disgustingly messy. There are no bits of decomposing food or half-full sodas, but it does have a tendency to accumulate an excessive amount of junk.

At other times it was one particular closet. My apartment was always spartan and spotless, it did not even look as though anyone lived there, except for this closet where I would cram all the loose ends and random objects.
for me it is messy desks and a occasionally messy bedroom but the rest i clean. I don't mind cleaning is the thing and i love organizing things ....why don't i do it more often for those 2 things???

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I was writing this post and started to get confused with the memories.. There have been many times in my life where I can get so messy and not just physically, but I think I must have been under a lot of pressure and stress. I would have a lot of things to write about, on the subject of 'disarray' (o_o) Seems life can go too fast for me or too much in a short time (though most people like in my classes could handle it)

Anyway...
Thinking about when I was healthier
my class notes tend to be messy
If it's a class where there's writing, like History I notice that I am fine. But if there's "doing" like an art classes with techniques, etc. my notes are so messy. Teachers usually get annoyed with me lol though this never happened in high school. Anyway I have no problem with them but they're not for presentation (and secretly I think there is something charming about a messy notebook.. It's full of passion! XD)

My laptop tends to be a mess also.
And strangers have even commented to me that my blog is a mess lol

When I lived alone last year, I had several work areas which could be called a mess. I had one 'project' in the living room, another in the bedroom and one more in the kitchen. Once the project is over, there is a major cleaning process. I also have several cupboards, drawers, store bags which have permanent messes inside but are organized by 'content'

All the messes I have are localized, no matter what happens

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My room is the worst

My apartment? Well, at least I put things away/rinse my dishes when I'm done with them

Other than that, it is a mess also. But I'm not nearly as bad as my roommate

·
Registered
440 Posts
i get the urge of organising very often
and a surge of energy make me get rid of everything i dont need in my room now it is nearly empty
but the thing is the more i organise physical environment the more aware of the bigger blockage and i start to become more and more paranoid about clarifying my consciousness and i become restless
but organising i think is a good thing
but i wish sometimes, to maximise the power of N i want to be less organised physically but more organised mentally but at once very fluid and still get the job done with a lot of precision in terms of result, especially emotionally specific and powerful... and im wondering how to solve that :-0 i really want the open flow and want equally specific and refined, precise yet ADAPTIVE, FLUID ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS

omg im gonna have to go change the arrangement of the stuff in my room to find new different feelings or feel liberated a bit so see you folks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i get the urge of organising very often
and a surge of energy make me get rid of everything i dont need in my room now it is nearly empty
but the thing is the more i organise physical environment the more aware of the bigger blockage and i start to become more and more paranoid about clarifying my consciousness and i become restless
but organising i think is a good thing
but i wish sometimes, to maximise the power of N i want to be less organised physically but more organised mentally but at once very fluid and still get the job done with a lot of precision in terms of result, especially emotionally specific and powerful... and im wondering how to solve that :-0 i really want the open flow and want equally specific and refined, precise yet ADAPTIVE, FLUID ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS
I get these same urges, the urge to purge....Sometimes I feel that my life is becoming too cluttered with junk. As with the closet I mentioned, the knowledge that I have such a disorganized section of my life nags at me. I feel its presence at the back of my thoughts, and it interferes with my peace of mind. It is then that I begin to sort through this clutter, and organize it into piles, "keep" and "toss." I do this several times until most things are in the "toss" pile. Then I make a trip to Goodwill and get rid of it. I find this very liberating, especially when I am able to divest myself of something that I have been hanging onto out of sentimental attachment. The simpler my life is by way of material items, the more content I feel. I am now on the verge of giving up all worldly possessions, even sentimental things, save for a few items I can fit in a backpack. I think that this will be quite liberating.

When I was a child, I had borderline OCD. I think it was borne of stress. I would constantly rearrange things around the house, and would also compulsively clean and dust everything.

I felt quite at home upon joining the Air Force, when, in tech school as a linguist, I found that we were expected to keep very spartan rooms with only the necessities, and these were expected to be kept spotless and organized. Everything had its place. This level of control and discipline was difficult for many of my P colleagues (and there were many) to come to terms with, and they struggled. My J nature truly shone in this environment. Even when I was granted additional freedom, I kept my room in pristine condition, and quite basic, save for a very few personal items. Even my bed I kept in perfect military style, sleeping on the top of the cover so as not to mess it up, even when everyone else had personal linen. I even maintained this after tech school, when I was living in the dorms. I have since lost this habit.

I am out of the Air Force now. At my last assignment my desk was entirely barren, save for a dictionary I needed for my job, a calendar, and usually about 30-40 post-it notes stuck on my computer screen. So mostly clean, save for these notes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My office desk can be quite messy. I had a colleague who once told me that she couldn't quite understand how I can have one pile of paper on one side, random bits of fabric samples all over, etc.. I do clean it up from time to time, but when the work piles up, so does the paperwork.. :crazy: My room is quite clean and organized though, except for one box where I keep all my, urgh, paperwork. I actually like putting my linen, towels, and clothes in order.. but when it comes to paperwork, I'd rather do something else :tongue:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I'm so glad other INFJs can also be messy! Though I was quite sure I'm an INFJ, my messy-ness is making me doubt it again and again.

When I still lived with my mom, my room was always REALLY a mess. But I didn't really feel comfortable when it was that way. From time to time I managed to clean it. Then it looked like it had never been messy before and I felt MUCH better. But I couldn't keep it that way somehow.:unsure:

When I moved in with my husband I realised however, how I wanted things to be done or cleaned in a certain way. When we had/have someone visiting, it always looks really tidy (mostly cause I do it, though my husband is also a J). But when we don't have people visiting it gets relly bad, cause...what for? But I keep feeling bad about it. :crazy:

Yet, our bedroom is messy...mostly with my clothes...and my desk is even worse and I can't keep it clean - especially with some up coming exams...

But the living room is pretty neet..hmmm...

blah.:confused:

Is this normal for an INFJ? I guess P people also feel a bit bad when everything is too much of a mess...:confused:

I always thought being messy was an INFP thing rather than INFJ. And I tested as an INFP few years (or even months?) ago. But now every test tells me I'm an INFJ...no matter what I do. :crazy:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like things to be neat, I'm just too lazy to keep them that way. My desk, for example... papers piled on top of other things, a few random ones that don't even have piles, things out on the desk that /do/ have a place to be put away, random chain mail links and bottles of vitamins...

Caveat to liking things neat: I also like things I use often to be in sight. If I use it a lot, it usually doesn't end up in an opaque drawer. More likely, it's in some sort of storage that's convenient and allows the object to be seen, or else is in a neater sort of stack on the desk. Exception is my graphics tablet, which I put away because I really don't want it getting scratched unnecessarily.

·
Registered
92 Posts
definitely my desk and study......

oh and when i write assignments i never plan......its random and somehow it all comes together.

my house it fairly neat, but i just seem to have one room that is chaos!:tongue:

·
Registered
12 Posts
anything that I can't see (ie when the closet door is closed) tends to be messy. Or whenever I don't have company in my home then everything can get a little messy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Organized chaos. It's messy, but I know where everything is.

Various sections of my life get messy. My desk. My bathroom. My living room. I'll get tired of the mess though, and eventually clean it up. :happy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
When depressed, my apartment is a mess.... things as scattered as my thoughts. When happy, I'm actually pretty neat and organized, though my desk goes through cycles of spartan neatness and piles of things.

Not too surprisingly, I find it easier to help others organize their storage/closet/desk/thoughts than to do it for myself (especially when life is wearing on me).

·
Registered
885 Posts
my room is messy, but i know where all my stuff is :)
i only clean when other people are around, because i just dont care about dirt and junk xD
but if there are other people who dont like it i make my best to clean

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,466 Posts
Oh wow, this is an old thread.

"Are you one of the less than organized INFJs? If so, how does it manifest? Where is that one consistently disorganized part of your life? Any place the INFJ husband has resided :p He doesn't like messes any more than I do (he hates to see his physical messes disrupt others' order) but he is more concerned with organizing the mess in his own head. So he lets things go (though he hates it) and cleans after a time but I keep things consistently orderly for myself, for us so the responsibility falls mostly on me which I am happy to fulfill since I have always been better at keeping up with such things though of course I prefer to also attend to the mess in my head :) We all fill our roles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts