Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there has been a thousand threads for this, but I'm not about to go grave-digging. So everyone shows different sides of themselves to different circles of friends, acquaintances, strangers, etc., but the INFJ is famous for this. For example, the omniscient Wikipedia notes that "INFJs ... tend to possess multiple personalities due to their complex inner life." Supposedly, INFJs easily throw on the swatches of other types. I'm sure we all--even those of the most not-INFJ types--have done this, and most of us have probably noticed it.

What specific types do you find yourself chalking up to be and under what circumstances? You've probably experienced type reversal (e.g. INFJ to ESTP) at the very least, amiright?

I play the ISFJ with strangers, especially if they are elderly, middle-aged, or married. Just that shy, super-polite boy that's so sweet he could make your teeth rot.

In responsibility-filled leadership positions, I turn into the ENFJ, which I'm SURE is the biggest turnaround of all.
:wink:

I tend to be an ENFP towards children or most people younger than me, so that comes out a lot in my extended family. My job involves work with kids, and the wig comes out there too.

Towards some of my actual co-workers, I'm a sporadic ESTP or ESFP depending on the person. Or an ISFJ. If they intimidate me.

Many of my friends who are a bit older than me in their early twenties know me as an oftentimes pessimistic INTP or even INTJ. This is what most of my childhood friends see too. Most INFJs know this negatively observant side or one similar to it, methinks.

I'm most clearly an INFJ in any sort of intellectual discussion, so this happens in some of my high school classes, and of course, at home.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whatever article you got this off of needs to be taken down o.o

I'd highly suggest you study cognitive functions; like for INFJ's our leading function is Introverted Intuition (Ni), then Extraverted Feeling (Fe), then Introverted Thinking (Ti) and lastly Extraverted Sensing (Se).

I see that you are new here and probably unfamiliar with a lot about MBTI. These functions I described to you are the "operators" behind every personality type. They each describe a way of thinking and perceiving the world and interact with each other to form our personalities.

For instance with myself, I'm often very quiet and just...observant. I'll just sit back and take everything in, connect things together till they make sense. Only after I've made a complete thought about something will I then speak. Other times (especially at my retail job or at parties) I can kind of flip on a switch and my Fe takes over and I can be SUPER outgoing and really connect with people. However I can't keep this up forever and I get drained relatively quick. I think it is this sort of idea that you were trying to discuss...and yes, it's very normal. All people can, in some capacity, do everything; it's just a matter of how long and to what ability they can do it.

Edit* If you are curious about yourself, you can click the test tubes at the top and click on "cognitive quiz" also if you go on youtube and type in DoctorJuice1 you will find a PerC member who makes excellent videos talking about the cognitive functions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuckle. I should have known this was coming.

No, actually, I'm pretty familiar with it. I know all about the cognitive functions. I obsessed of them for a little while . NiFeTiSe, I thought I was INTP for a little while because of the Ti, but I quickly discovered that I use more Ni and Fe than that. I just don't actually believe in them, anymore. (I know, shoot me. Angry comments begin.) I mean, they make sense, so I refer to them often. But it's really all just a theory, and even though the MBTI has been built around it, it still gets changed. Quite honestly, I take anything I hear about anything MBTI with a grain of salt.

oddlydevelopedtypes.com/content/cognitive-functions-and-type-dynamics-failed-theory <-copy that into your URL bar

That link will explain it better than I can.

And from the Cognitive function perspective, INFJs still put on the faces of other types because of the empathy the Ni backed by Fe gives them. I'm just looking for labels on those types.

Sorry. I don't mean to be confrontational... don't kill me...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I Masquerade so often that I'm not even sure if I have a type, or rather a lack of a type. It took me a long time before I figured out that the shifting of personalities was who I was.
I'm so many different things to different people.
Totality of the circumstances.

The part that is decidedly "me" as opposed to "not me" is a part that is rarely ever expressed, with the obvious exception being the written word.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Chuckle. I should have known this was coming.

No, actually, I'm pretty familiar with it. I know all about the cognitive functions. I obsessed of them for a little while . NiFeTiSe, I thought I was INTP for a little while because of the Ti, but I quickly discovered that I use more Ni and Fe than that. I just don't actually believe in them, anymore. (I know, shoot me. Angry comments begin.) I mean, they make sense, so I refer to them often. But it's really all just a theory, and even though the MBTI has been built around it, it still gets changed. Quite honestly, I take anything I hear about anything MBTI with a grain of salt.

oddlydevelopedtypes.com/content/cognitive-functions-and-type-dynamics-failed-theory <-copy that into your URL bar

That link will explain it better than I can.

And from the Cognitive function perspective, INFJs still put on the faces of other types because of the empathy the Ni backed by Fe gives them. I'm just looking for labels on those types.

Sorry. I don't mean to be confrontational... don't kill me...
Nah, you are fine...it's just I saw your post count...and on the forums here we do get quite a few people who are unfamiliar with cognitive functions. But I apparently misunderstood what you were trying to say. Also your link is broken :sad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for this thread! I tend to do this a lot... to the point where I really can't find who I am at the core. I've always heard it as an insult if someone becomes a different person depending on who they're with, but maybe it's not artificiality after all. For me, it is so natural to take on different types and personas- and they're all me, just different versions of me. Some people, depending on their age and how well I know them, bring out certain qualities in me, while others bring out different ones. Consequently, my plans and desires and moods can all change frequently depending on my current persona. It's hard to trust yourself when this happens. I really didn't realize this was an INFJ thing... interesting!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I used to masquerade with others but feel this can become harmful to the person over time or tiring to 'be so many people for others to see', now I just work on being me without defining myself by letters instead I prefer adjectives we can all live by to varying degrees, if we self accept more...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think (for me personally at least) the "changing personalities" can come from our desire to please people and make them more comfortable around us. An easy way to make them more comfortable is to act more like them (unless of course it's the kind of situation where both people are quiet-- I'm sure most of you have experienced those-- in which case I tend to "turn" E to avoid awkwardness in the conversation). Do any of you agree? I'm pretty strong on the F side and I tend to put others' needs before mine, so maybe my reasoning is different than anyone else's.

Reactions: Delilah

·
Registered
55 Posts
Look at it this way. Instead of thinking of it as masquarading, think of it as showing your different sides. I dont masquarade or fake who I am. I simpley have many side to my personality, many interests, many passions, many empathetical persuasions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts