Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing about the 'INFJ stare' around various threads and was wondering what it actually is? I daydream a lot so i'm pretty sure that's when that stare would probably happen.

Also, I came across a thread mentioning a previous 'INFJ eyes' thread but couldn't find it, so figured we could create one here! :kitteh:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The network of brain activity that lights up during self-talk/self-referential narrative thinking, envisioning the future, and gauging other people's perspectives is negatively correlated with brain regions which focus on external visual signals.

Neuroscientists call that pattern of activity the default network or default mode network because when you're just sitting there doing nothing that's where the mind tends to go. It's the default.

If I'm "inside myself" then my attention to the visual field can be so diminished that I think my eyes probably appear very calm or unaware or dead. My eyes can be wide open but I won't be very much paying attention to what's going on around me because some inner process has drawn my gaze inward.

In other cases though I'm just giving my full attention to the visual field. If I'm listening to someone or I'm out in public my eyes drink in as much of the visual field as they can. Everything becomes bright and wide and clear when my attention dwells there. At those times there's no self-talk or thoughts about the future or gauging of others' perspectives. Little or no default network activity.

I can definitely feel the pouring of one cup into the other. I can feel attention flow back and forth between the default network and absorption into external visual stimuli.

I literally feel the obscurations on the experience of my visual field as intuition kicks in. And I feel the return of clarity to the visual field as attention to intuition fades out.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Well, they are usually either referring to one of two stares.

The resting bitch face stare, which is when we are in our own world, staring off into nothing, and we look intimidating as all can be.

And the piercing stare, which is when we are talking to someone, we have a tendency to just stare at the person, into their eyes. My friends tell me, "You give the impression as if you are actually interested in what the person is saying."

They say "actually" as if I'm lying with my stare. xD I am interested.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd say I have four different types of stares. There are variations for each, but here's a general overview.

The resting bitch face stare - own world, staring into nothing, blank mind, daydreaming, looking at things in Ni. This is the neutral/observer gaze I have most of the time. It can blend in, but it also tends to draw a lot of interested looks from people.

The listening stare - when I'm giving deep attention to what someone is saying and feeling. It's like tuning in to their soul in those moments. Makes them feel listened to and understood.

The over thinking stare - when I'm nervous or over anticipating something. Eyes might widen slightly, face can become tense.

The death stare - if someone does something cruel or unjust. Very piercing, it's like projecting death towards someone, hence the name "death stare".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd say I have four different types of stares. There are variations for each, but here's a general overview.

The resting bitch face stare - own world, staring into nothing, blank mind, daydreaming, looking at things in Ni. This is the neutral/observer gaze I have most of the time. It can blend in, but it also tends to draw a lot of interested looks from people.

The listening stare - when I'm giving deep attention to what someone is saying and feeling. It's like tuning in to their soul in those moments. Makes them feel listened to and understood.

The over thinking stare - when I'm nervous or over anticipating something. Eyes might widen slightly, face can become tense.

The death stare - if someone does something cruel or unjust. Very piercing, it's like projecting death towards someone, hence the name "death stare".
I think this about sums up me, ha :laughing:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

I can vouch for this. The death or lost in thought stare can be used for comedic relief with people who want to have a staring contest. They get uncomfortable really quickly :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I actually was recently told by my friend I do this 'Ominous creepy' kind of stare, which I was surprised about because I never do that consciously. The way he described is that, he would basically tell me something and the look I am giving him is asif I am thinking he is not telling the truth or asif there is alot more to what he just said and I am figuring him out. Lol although I had no idea what he was talking about in context of me because I am not even aware of doing it I remembered my teacher doing it to me when I told him why I was late to class and I am very sure he is INFJ and it is quite a scary stare because its asif the person can see right through you like they know EVERYTHING about you. O_O I think a perfect way to describe it is a gaping stare into your psyche :frustrating:

Reactions: Vahyavishdapaya

·
Registered
535 Posts

^^ This! Excellent summary

The way he described is that, he would basically tell me something and the look I am giving him is asif I am thinking he is not telling the truth or asif there is alot more to what he just said and I am figuring him out.
Hmm, that might be why so often people tell me "Really!" after they finish a story...
Although, people often stop their story without telling what they really want to say, so i've learned to keep quiet a bit longer and usually that's when it really comes

Reactions: visionaryspirit

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
INFJ stare is all about that judging look.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
^^ This! Excellent summary

Hmm, that might be why so often people tell me "Really!" after they finish a story...
Although, people often stop their story without telling what they really want to say, so i've learned to keep quiet a bit longer and usually that's when it really comes
Haha no way, it still absolutely fascinates me how this is going on completely on autopilot while we are oblivious to what we look like to the person XD. I am new to MTBI so I am still really intrigued with it all :)

Reactions: Hanne

·
Registered
417 Posts

This is just perfect. I certainly use the 'resting bitch face stare' without knowing it. It's a complete click-off of my external world. It probably looks less like a bitch face and more like 'oh-god-she's-not-even-here-rn'.

My listening stare is fierce. I've been told exactly what you quoted, @Antipode. "You give the impression as if you are actually interested in what the person is saying." I guess it's intimidating and nice at the same time, but I wouldn't know... :) I can do this whether I'm interested or not, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

And my death stare... well, when it's real, I can't mask it. :)

Reactions: visionaryspirit

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The stare that gets me into trouble the most is my one eyebrow higher than the other, the 'you must be sh***ing me' kind of face :laughing: - i have my neutral day dream face - my happy face which is my most used one - the general INFJ gaze when i'm just observing life - and my 'tough' face i tend to wear when i'm having a bad day.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I had a video of mine, for some reason it had a lot of views, to this day I dont understand why.

·
Registered
24 Posts
me too! I had a "staring game" video up on my youtube channel. I made it when I was like 15 and it got like 1,000 views (compared to my 100 views on other videos). So bizarre.

·
Registered
472 Posts
All this talk about stares, I never even thought about it. But now that I'm reading these responses, I remember when I had to have a serious talk with someone, and I thought I was very calm and composed while speaking or listening. But afterwards someone told me that the person I talked to was afraid. They said I was very "intimidating and scary, like I knew all of their secrets and was waiting to expose them"

Maybe that's the stare?? I never noticed it, but maybe it exists :O

Reactions: JCaramel

·
Registered
457 Posts
I haven't experienced the "stare" myself, but I'll describe what people have told me...

The first story is from my birth. Immediately after being born, my father got to hold me (because my mum was in pretty bad shape), and he's spoken many times of how I opened my eyes, and stared into his soul. It sounds cliche as hell and it might be, thinking about it he had been awake for a long time and I suppose the whole situation was a bit surreal, so... But still. That was his experience, and apparently according to his experience there was something special about how I looked into his soul, as a newborn baby.

During my life, people have told me I have a death-stare when I'm angry. Most other kids would say hurtful things or hit someone physically, while I'd just look whoever had angered me into their eyes, and kill their soul with just a look. This isn't something I know of either, it's just what people have told me. Personally I just know that when someone do anger me, I don't like taking it out neither verbally nor physically, so I'll usually just look at them and think about how infantile, stupid, insensitive, cruel, egoistical, unjust or whatever they are, while they keep making a fool of themselves. I suppose it's just my (at those times not so nice) thoughts that become visible in my eyes.

Another stare I've been commented on is my thinking-stare. When I think, I focus hard and think deeply, so I'm not really aware of my surroundings. This sometimes make me look very brooding, staring off into nothing. My vision literally gets turned off - I can't see anything when this happens. If someone would wave their hand in front of my face I wouldn't notice, because my sight is turned inwardly.

I think being an INFJ is sometimes hard because you don't really know yourself how or why people keep saying something about you is remarkable in any way - you're just being you and that's it. I haven't met any other INFJ so I haven't personally encountered any of these stares, so I'm just telling you what others have told me - and how I experience those situations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am an INTJ and the INFJ deathstare intimidates me. Not in the "I'm-going-to-kill-you" way, more in the "I-know-every-bad-thing-you've-ever-done-and-I-am-judging-you". It's like they know who I am just by looking at me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am an INTJ and the INFJ deathstare intimidates me. Not in the "I'm-going-to-kill-you" way, more in the "I-know-every-bad-thing-you've-ever-done-and-I-am-judging-you". It's like they know who I am just by looking at me.
My father is an INTJ so that might explain why he's saying the same things as you... I don't think there's any other two types that could know each other better than INTJ-INFJ, so as INTJs are probably not so easily read for most others I suppose an INFJ could see more than you're used to, and maybe that's what's scary? :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
And we do. Muahaha.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts