Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Withdrawn as in because of being depressed? or withdrawn as in because of being mad at people? or both?

If depressed it would be

Speaking only when spoken too, putting on a face as if everything is fine but still not saying very much anyway and not showing very much emotion or interest in anything other than being on my own.

But this would be true for probably every type anyway.

mad at people it would be

Avoiding conflict and pretending everything is fine but avoiding all but the most necessary of conversation.

If it were both I'd probably be very bitter probably wouldn't bother with them at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And what about the times when it's neither and just to assess a situation or recharge your batteries?

·
Registered
960 Posts
When I'm withdrawn it's usually because I'm in "information/sensory overload" or because I'm processing something emotional I can't bear to share with other people because it's too raw....Almost nothing is too raw for me to want to share, but it happens. Also, for the most part, it's specific individuals that I "withdraw" from, not necessarily a need to completely withdraw from the world (unless I'm severely depressed). Usually, I give short, minimally polite answers to direct questions. I often appear impatient, like I want people to hurry up and finish what they are saying so I can withdraw from them physically as well as mentally. Often, at these times, I probably "should" just ignore the phone, etc., and just explain later what was going on when I'm feeling better, but I am overly concerned with what that will make the other person think/feel, so I force myself to interact - and that can lead to spiteful words/mean looks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
And what about the times when it's neither and just to assess a situation or recharge your batteries?
Lol much harder to answer.

Assess a situation

Would depend what you mean by situation or problem perhaps, could you give some examples?

recharge your batteries

Spend a day or two at home by myself I might answer the phone to people or I might not be in the mood to bother, I won't really withdraw from people in my home though.

If people ask why I didn't answer my phone I'll just say I forgot to charge it or forgot to turn it on, damn I am rude lol but I need time to myself especially since I tend to make friends with the very extroverted types who insist on phoning me to tell me everything, damn why couldn't they just send a text!!! :angry: :laughing: :crazy: lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If people ask why I didn't answer my phone I'll just say I forgot to charge it or forgot to turn it on, damn I am rude lol but I need time to myself especially since I tend to make friends with the very extroverted types who insist on phoning me to tell me everything, damn why couldn't they just send a text!!! :angry: :laughing: lol.
The question would be then- would you answer their text? Lol.

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts

I isolate myself, I don´t answer to the phone (at least it is something really important), I just need silence.....
I cut communication, I don´t want to talk to anyone and I don´t want to anyone to talk to me either. It doesn´t happen so often though and I am done after a few hours, but when it happens all I need is silence, it feels like I need to "unplug" myself from the world.
If I can´t do that (isolate self) I would probably be in a very "bad" mood and no one would want to talk to me anyway :p

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I actually do this quite often. I withdraw for no reason at all, and stop all communication with friends and family. I haven't touched my fb in almost a year and I hear people thinking I'm dead or something. I just feel, it's not that time to come out yet. This may seem very selfish, but it's almost a necessity for me to get away from people to reassess my perspective.

The problem is that I absorb so much of people's opinions and needs and I end up feeling as if I'm living for them and not really for myself. That is why I take this time off to analyze what's really relevant and what my real thoughts and opinions are.

I'm pretty sure I've lost some friends over this, but the people who have known me for years know what this hiatus is about and they're more likely to understand why my need for solitude and retreat.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The question would be then- would you answer their text? Lol.
hmmm depends how lengthy or interesting it is or more importantly whether they are asking me out or to do something when I can't be arsed to do on my 'day off' lol

But yes generally out of politeness I will usually answer there texts back, and if they ask what I am up to just explain that I am just taking it easy, but then out of fear of them thinking I am avoiding them I end up having to go out. Damn extroverts.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
If I am 100% honest.. It depends on you. Are you an energy and emotional vampire? Do you make demands of people and carry expectations? Is it usually all about you?
If yes.
Then YOU and others like you are the reason I need to recharge ,and so, during those times, you are not likely to have my attention.

There are others who are delightful to be around.. No matter how tired I am, how drained I feel, how withdrawn emotionally and mentally I am feeling, they are ALWAYS welcome.
They seem to give me energy and make no demands of me.. They are supporters.. Good people to know. Easy to love. They pull me out because I want to take care of them too.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
When you are in withdraw mode, how do communication to very close friends & loved ones?
i disappear off the face of the planet.

What is your communication style with people you are expected to regularly communicate with?
i disappear off the face of the planet (unless it's work-related, because i have no choice about that).

Brief responses? Unanswered calls, but other forms of communication?
brief responses? if i reply at all, it's probably an apology for not replying...and an explanation that i do plan to get back to them even though i have not done so yet.

phone? the phone is not my best friend when i'm not in withdraw mode, so it's even worse when i am...in general i'm far easier to reach in person or in text form than by phone.

other forms of communication? typically there is a backlog of messages (since for some reason i get a lot of longer messages) that i am behind on replying to (since it takes me so long to write a worthwhile reply - because of some kind of perfectionism about what qualifies as a "worthwhile reply" - i might be able to write one good reply a day)...and this backlog just grows larger during the introvert-withdrawal phase. so i can take forever to reply to messages from friends sometimes...and it's nothing personal against them. i just can't keep up.

---
in general i have trouble keeping up, even if i'm not in introvert-withdrawal mode. i could spend my life replying to messages and not get my other work done...there are other responsibilities in my life, as well as a full-time, demanding job, that are also priorities.

my current job assignment requires working directly with people all day long, so when i get home from work, i just want to be alone, relax by reading/writing posts, and sometimes not interact with others in any lengthy format (like PMs), just in order to "recover" for a while.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Withdrawn is my usual state, and the older I get, the more this is the case. If I am forced to engage in too much interaction, with anyone, but especially with draining people, I get even more withdrawn. I currently reside alone in a mud hut (exaggeration) in the middle of nowhere in Costa Rica, and only leave every few days to restock the larder, if that says anything. I do not even have a phone (or running water for that matter)...but I do have internet. Not fully withdrawn, I suppose.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Most people who know me personally would probably call me "withdrawn", simply because I generally don't bother with unnecessary communication. I don't call people (friends, family, whatever) just to say "hello", unless I'm obligated to by someone (generally my mother who can get uppity with me being off the grid for weeks at a time). It's not that I don't love them, or enjoy speaking with them. It's simply that I don't have anything worth talking about most of the time.

I don't get any enjoyment out of small talk. Especially when that's all it ever is in the usual "keep in touch" phone calls from family/friends. How's the weather where you are? I don't care, I don't live there. You put your car in the shop again? Sucks for you, mine works just fine. Why did you call me again? ...

Generally if I'm communicating with loved ones, it's about something important. We're either setting up plans to meet somewhere, or there's something going on that needs my attention/assistance. Or, it's my mother talking to me for 45 minutes about meaningless trivial pursuits in her day-to-day life. -_-

Also, to another what I believe was another part about the OP, about preference for communication, generally I prefer text messages (or Facebook as it may apply). That way, it also limits useless small talk and keeps things more important and on point. And I'm not fond of verbal communication anyway. I'm fully aware of my pauses to find the right words and all that crap that INFJs are known for. >_>

·
Registered
46 Posts
At this point I'm pretty much a loner. I went into withdraw mode when my friend decided to see what the otherside looked like and I guess I forgot how to be socialble, though I do try :)

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
My withdrawal periods aren't ever long enough for my friends/family to know anything is amiss unless I am SEVERELY depressed but that doesn't happen often. They all know I'm an introvert so it's not like I have to pretend otherwise. I do try to make myself scarce when I'm feeling drained though as it's hard for me to put on a happy face when I'm in that mode and I don't want people asking me what's wrong when nothing is really wrong, I'm just in introverted mode (inside my head at the moment). I don't want people to worry about me or think I don't care about them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts