Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow INFPs! I'm new on here. I hope that this isn't a repeated thread.

I've noticed that alot of us have mentioned feeling the need to withdraw into a "cave" every once in a while.

That happens to me about once every two-three weeks.

Just wondering what other people's caves look like. Also- do you have any tips on getting out of the cave for exams/ important social events? I'm dying here!

Mine is pretty empty. I zone out for hours, sometimes I listen to a single song on repeat. (The most recent episode? Fake Plastic Trees.) I fantacize about people I know. I try to understand things. Usually it's unproductive. Sometimes it's painful and lonely in there. Most of the time, I'm on a sort of high.
It travels with me- it comes to class and work. Alot of times it makes me run red lights. The bad part is that it occupies me completely. When I'm in the cave, I'm incapable of coherent coversation, study, or work. I can barely perform routine idle activities without making a mess. I do love it, though.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm a man of re-invention. While I'm in the man-cave err.. infp cave :D, I work on myself and come out wiser every time. With my new found awareness I'm always excited to explore and see if circumstances change in social settings and what not.

One of my strats though, is I know how to hype people up. So I just hype people up about __________ that we're going to do and as the days come closer and I'm a little "ehhh.. not feeling it" they still have the energy from my original hype and they pass it back to me. Manipulation to self manipulation!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm a man of re-invention. While I'm in the man-cave err.. infp cave :D, I work on myself and come out wiser every time. With my new found awareness I'm always excited to explore and see if circumstances change in social settings and what not.

One of my strats though, is I know how to hype people up. So I just hype people up about __________ that we're going to do and as the days come closer and I'm a little "ehhh.. not feeling it" they still have the energy from my original hype and they pass it back to me. Manipulation to self manipulation!
I have the same problem... Now, I only organize spontaneous events. Otherwise I flake.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I do the same as davisk and Lad, though I tend to flake both when it's been planned already and if it's spontaneous. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything and I need to not do things or else I will be an irritable and unfun time.

And yeah to the cave. If I don't have cave time every day, again I'm irritable and unfun. My cave consists just of my bed and my computer or a book in my lap and probably a locked door.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I do the same as davisk and Lad, though I tend to flake both when it's been planned already and if it's spontaneous. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything and I need to not do things or else I will be an irritable and unfun time.

And yeah to the cave. If I don't have cave time every day, again I'm irritable and unfun. My cave consists just of my bed and my computer or a book in my lap and probably a locked door.
haha i like that term, "cave time" :laughing:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I do this thing where I GoGoGoGoGo until I literally hit a brick wall and just will not/cannot get up again. I suppose I sort of fall into my cave, which I've always imagined as a castle tower with no entrances or exits beyond the open roof well over 30 feet above my head. The walls are smooth and I cannot climb up or pull them down no matter how much I should desire to do so. It is very hard to get up the motivation to do anything beyond what is necessary for functioning. I'll eat, go to work, try to sleep... otherwise I'm a brooding mess.

What I've been trying to do lately is to try to find some sort of balance. I make sure I have at least one day off from jobs 1 and 2 and that every other day off I don't have anything planned. That is my day when I can do whatever I need to for me. This most recent weekend that included a nearly 2 hour shower where I just thought and dreamed and let myself fall and then come back up. It was enough. The previous "free" day, I made sure I got a few hours of time just in my room to do nothing but do the same thing. Yes, it means turning down social obligations, but it also means that I'm more able to function during the rest of the time.

I think I will probably need something more than a few hours sometime in the next few weeks, but my friends are also quite aware that I need my time without any social interaction whatsoever. They also know that if they push it, I will not respond or that I may agree to whatever and then "forget" the planned event/time. I take those times to think, to write, to color, whatever, and usually come out of them with some better understanding of how I view life. I've found that giving myself small bits of time to retreat and the occasional longer periods of time to "fall" make it so that I don't run into the problem of not being able to function in regular society as much. I don't know that it's healthy to do so that way, but it tends to work alright for me. *shrugs*

Reactions: davisk and Lad

·
Registered
752 Posts
My introversion shoots up to over 9000 when I withdraw into the cave. If anyone just so happens to wind up in my cave, I will charge at them with my claws bared. Oh yeah, and I will listen to one song on repeat for five hundred million hours...even if I'm tired of the song.

Edit: I'm not even sure what my cave looks like. I guess it's dark and filled with negativity. I see very little positive dreaming and more reflecting. I'm not sure how to force myself out of that cave. Usually I just ride it out and do what I have to do in the meantime. If I had to try, I would shove some happiness into that cave somehow D:

haha i like that term, "cave time" :laughing:
To the Bat Cave! -shot-

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
my cave is my yard, i gooutthere maybe listening to music, i go on my swings, walk aboutof layin the grass. longest i ddi that was 3 hours.i need my time!

·
Registered
35 Posts
my cave is my yard, i gooutthere maybe listening to music, i go on my swings, walk aboutof layin the grass. longest i ddi that was 3 hours.i need my time!
Yeah man, me too. The outdoors is the best eh?

But I do have my 'man cave' in the spare bedroom. It's completely covered in stuff I love. The PC is in there, a couple of arcade games, lots of other stuff and hobbies.

I'm gonna hang a sign on the door that says 'Abandon All Work, Ye Who Enter Here' :laughing:

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I do this thing where I GoGoGoGoGo until I literally hit a brick wall and just will not/cannot get up again.
I'm starting to notice my habit of doing this. Not quite to your extreme, I think, but more socially. I tend to socialize a lot for days, then withdraw completely into a cave for a day or two. It's slightly not healthy, but at least it's a routine.

For now, my cave is my bedroom: purple walls, cluttered, crowded, tons of books. I wish I could find a quieter, more private place. I've always had a fondness for... nooks. Little out-of-the-way places that few people find. Cave time is kind of boring, really, so I try to fill it with doing something. Usually writing, video games, or TV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My cave is my head. Sometimes I look out through my eyes but most of the time I have my back to them.There's a pond in the middle of the cave that's full of all sorts of animals and plants that sparkle and glow, and there are movies every night, and there's a gigantic Harry Potter-style library, and even a theme park. There are so many storms and floods and droughts and wars the place deserves its own news station. Part of me feels lonely and trapped inside my cave, and I wish other people knew it was there. On the other hand I'm glad no one else can come in because it's my space and I doubt any visitors would understand it anyway. :blushed:

I was going to answer your question about getting out of the cave, but then I realised our caves aren't anything like each other and even if I tried, it probably wouldn't help :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My cave for now is my bedroom. I hole up in there for hours and get really pissy when my mom shoves the door open as she's knocking. Don't care the reason, just leave me alone if my door's closed, thank you very much! :crazy:

It's funny you posted this thread; I thought I was the only one who wanted a woman cave. I told my boyfriend I want one when we get a house together haha.. It's gonna have some sexy deep red walls, a beautiful couch with a coffee table, bookshelves, a desk with plentiful writing and painting supplies, a couple easels, and artwork and unfinished novels as far as the eye can see. Pure heaven :happy:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My cave for now is my bedroom. I hole up in there for hours and get really pissy when my mom shoves the door open as she's knocking. Don't care the reason, just leave me alone if my door's closed, thank you very much! :crazy:

It's funny you posted this thread; I thought I was the only one who wanted a woman cave. I told my boyfriend I want one when we get a house together haha.. It's gonna have some sexy deep red walls, a beautiful couch with a coffee table, bookshelves, a desk with plentiful writing and painting supplies, a couple easels, and artwork and unfinished novels as far as the eye can see. Pure heaven :happy:
mmmmm that sounds looooveely. I want one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts