Registered
132 Posts
an open mind

Reactions: perfectcircle

·
Registered
113 Posts
My personal code of ethics...

Do not harm others. Everyone brings some harm to someone else at some point in their life unintentionally. When you do that, tell them you are sorry and make it up to them.

Do not lie.

Do not cheat.

Do not take what is not rightfully yours.

Respect all.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Be the friend that you would like to have.

Love everyone despite how unloveable they may seem. There is something worthy in everyone.

Listen... with your ears, eyes, mind, soul, and heart. Everyone has a voice and if you get a chance to hear theirs, make sure you pay attention and understand what they are saying.

Compassion is a gift you give others. Make sure to give it to everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I could probably come up with more, but that works for now.

·
Registered
588 Posts
mine are ridiculously simple.

1. think independently
2. don't murder
3. be open minded, except about murder

if i am honest with myself, all else is really just pet peeve. those would include things like 1. neglecting to speak up for someone victimized by domineering A-holes, 2. being a domineering A-hole, 3. acquiescing to morally questionable cultural norms/keeping up appearances when it contradicts what you believe, 4. putting nutella in the refrigerator, 5. watching fox news with serious intent and not for comedic purposes

·
Registered
273 Posts
Any action that directly or indirectly harms any one group is not an option.

Basically to me nature is the most pure force on the planet. Everything in nature benefits everything else.

For example wolves eating caribou might seem bad, however, they thin the herds of old and sick animals improving the health of the herd. The herd is forced to stay on the move to be safe which prevents overgrazing of native grass plants. Healthy amounts of native grasses provide diet staples and homes for other animals. They also prevent erosion which preserves habitats for animals. And so on and so forth.

Ever wonder why mosquitoes are so bad in your neighborhood? It's because people bulldozed the wetlands and therefore destroyed the homes of all the animals that prey on mosquitoes.

So basically nature is my number one priority. I do all I can to aid it and minimize my impact on it.

I treat others with respect and expect it back.

I think everyone can make some sacrifices in order to better the less fortunate and the environment.

Anyone who is so selfish that they don't give anything should be shot (yes shot).
Humans didn't make it this far by being selfish jerks, they worked together to survive and I EVERYONE would do well to remember that.

And there is no problem that can't be solved by a solution that doesn't benefit everyone involved in some way. Sometimes it just takes people to be willing to get a smaller slice of the pie than what they are used to.

Reactions: bookworm and Jewels

·
Registered
132 Posts
"be excellent to each other"

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I have a hard time answering this sort of question, along with 'what are your values?' because I really think they exist on a very deep archetypal level. Like dynamic pre-verbal structures. Made of steel. If something/someone crosses one of these deep core archetypal values then BAM! steel wall! they will feel it. Like an electric fence sort of steel wall. Meaning, the result could be an unmovable sort of silent defiance, or a flared up sort of wrath (that's the infamous INFP rage moment, that one, lol. as extremely rare as those are). Sorry it's hard to give specific examples, which is why I say it exists at an archetypal level... any situation is going to have many perspectives and considerations, two situations that might seem the same on a superficial level may end up filtering through the value system in a different way. I read a description of Fi once that described it as not just the feelings involved in any given moment, but a sort of tapestry of feeling that includes results of past situations, different perspectives, the dynamics of the moment, and the probabilities of the future... that seems accurate to me, and again, is why it's really hard to give a code.
I meant to respond to this post earlier. It hits a lot of good points for me. It brings to mind a few parts in Jung's theory on Fi.

The idea of Fi being a source of significant ideas that are fundamental and broad and come from some innate, impalpable source ("primordial images" - my interpretation of Jung's definition is that these are basic ideas, archaic and universal in nature). It's almost like a very strong inborn conscience, if you want to over-simplify it.

The primordial images are, of course, just as much ideas as feelings. Fundamental ideas, ideas like God, freedom, and immortality, are just as much feeling-values as they are significant ideas.
The ideas he mentions encompass so much....think of even the idea of "peace" (something most INFPs idealize). What does that mean? It is so broad, it has so many interpretations, yet I think an INFP recognizes when such an idea is violated very easily. To define it with words constricts the vastness of such a principle. To define it can lose too much of the meaning.

Reactions: PeacePassion

·
Registered
494 Posts
Fight ignorance and idiocy in all of its forms even if fighting it just means not buying into it yourself. I think pretty much everything stems from wether you allow the fuckers to drag you down to their level or not. Everything else is secondary.

Don't ever expect me to respect you just because you are a human being. If you're behaving like a twat you don't deserve respect.

Reactions: pyjujiop

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Fight ignorance and idiocy in all of its forms even if fighting it just means not buying into it yourself. I think pretty much everything stems from wether you allow the fuckers to drag you down to their level or not. Everything else is secondary.

Don't ever expect me to respect you just because you are a human being. If you're behaving like a twat you don't deserve respect.
Well said. People earn respect. And if they lose it, well good luck getting it back.

I don't think I've ever tried to put my "code" into words...hmm... Honesty is always the best option, diplomacy is the best approach, and there's no need to "get back" at bullies, or correct hypocrites and other idiots, because their idiocy will stab them in their back later in life even if it only happens on their death bed. Finally, my opinion is only an opinion and nothing more, so criticizing/insulting or hurting anyone else over their opinions or values (Or lack thereof) is wrong.
If all else fails, we're all going to crumble into dust anyway so don't get too worked up over people because there's really no point.
:happy: I think that covers it..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well said. People earn respect. And if they lose it, well good luck getting it back.

I don't think I've ever tried to put my "code" into words...hmm... Honesty is always the best option, diplomacy is the best approach, and there's no need to "get back" at bullies, or correct hypocrites and other idiots, because their idiocy will stab them in their back later in life even if it only happens on their death bed. Finally, my opinion is only an opinion and nothing more, so criticizing/insulting or hurting anyone else over their opinions or values (Or lack thereof) is wrong.
If all else fails, we're all going to crumble into dust anyway so don't get too worked up over people because there's really no point.
:happy: I think that covers it..
I could not agree more,Sometimes I hate people in general almost as much as I love them. But its always better to love these people in order for them to change?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Sometimes I hate people in general almost as much as I love them.
Me too!
And who knows if they can change.... I don't think they can. I try to be thankful for the people who disagree with me, or who hurt me because they make me learn. And they make life more interesting. Unless they're bulldozers who totally crush people, then I just get the funk away from them xD

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The idea of Fi being a source of significant ideas that are fundamental and broad and come from some innate, impalpable source ("primordial images" - my interpretation of Jung's definition is that these are basic ideas, archaic and universal in nature). It's almost like a very strong inborn conscience, if you want to over-simplify it.

The ideas he mentions encompass so much....think of even the idea of "peace" (something most INFPs idealize). What does that mean? It is so broad, it has so many interpretations, yet I think an INFP recognizes when such an idea is violated very easily. To define it with words constricts the vastness of such a principle. To define it can lose too much of the meaning.
yes, exactly, well said! and perhaps it is through feeling that these principles/ideas/value structures communicate with us, navigate us through specific situations in all their situation-specific complexity.

Reactions: OrangeAppled

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can, will and shall actualize the changes that I want to see in this world.

To treat people the same way I would want them to treat me,
to give them the same opportunities I would want them to give me,
to give them the advantages and respect I would want them to give me,
to always treat everyone equally and selflessly be ready to help people in need.

Even knowing they might not do the same for me.

34 Posts
What a great thread.

Some examples of my moral code:

Congruence and integrity - be who you are in a truly authentic way - I have a good 6th sense for hidden agendas.
Be truthful
Be kind
Be sincere
Be on time - respect me by valuing my time on this planet!
Reserve judgements, instead seek to improve your understanding of yourself and where those judgements come from

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Guys. I was wondering if anyone here has and is willing to share the strong moral code that is supposed to be a huge part of being INFP. I'm curious to what are parts of your code, and maybe examples of what you've done to defend your code in life.

Who's gonna step up to the plate?
In regards to relationship : faithful.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
My moral code is to be aware of the way I affect others.
To not participate in any form of oppression and challenge it when I see it.
To be compassionate and acknowledging of circumstances.
To be loyal and trustworthy.
To be egalitarian in all things.

Reactions: perfectcircle

·
Registered
117 Posts
Avoid harming living things wherever possible. As far as humans go, I do not care one whit about them, though, since they, as a species, don't care about avoiding harm to other living beings whenever possible. e.g. don't expect me to dial 911 for you.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Don't have one, Fi is really flexible, it's strongly felt inner guidelines but it isn't expressed in a verbal, linear, or rule format... it's more like how when you see something injust the reaction is just pulled out of you. I would describe it more as being pulled between the forces of the universe like a magnet. I'm not trying to impose arbitrary rules onto the universe, not a "code" written on a stone tablet, I just uh wow this is hard to explain, when the moral thing comes up it isn't due to a rule I really don't care about being consistent so much in those cases more like the uh vulnerability the strength uhhhh uh uh uh, the right way speaks through me. xD it's totally subjective, I don't know how to describe it.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.