Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFPs, has anyone told you that you have a blank expression on your face, that you are poker-faced?

I've been considering being a psychotherapist, and one of the things that makes me go against it is this - people who I don't know well have often said that I have a poker face, a blank look, a glazed expression, etc... I don't think this happens when I talk to people about their personal issues, but in usual social settings I can definitely be like this.

I think it might have to do with not wanting to share a lot of my inner world with another person, probably because it is too private and there is a lot of pain there. Also, I find that superficial conversations take a lot of energy, and I have to be constantly making an effort, which doesn't let me spontaneously express myself.

Also, on a deeper level I feel I naturally search for something deeper, more meaningful, and when my life isn't like that I sort of look lost and disoriented. The times that my life has, indeed, been like that, I think I have been more energetic and motivated to socialize.

These comments used to make me wonder if I'm actually INTP, but now I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Do you have a 'poker-face'? If so, why do you think you have it? How do you deal with it in social situations?

If not, do you think INFPs may or may not have it?

Apart from this, the other thing people tell me I look most like is 'a dreamer'. Too many people have told me how dreamy I look. On my first day at my previous job, a colleague asked me 'are you a poet? you look like one'.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I always get told that! People say that in photos I always look like I'm not really there - and even looking back at childhood videos, when I was blowing birthday candles on my own cake I'd just sit there looking pokerfaced. I think I can SOUND pokerfaced too (pokervoiced?), people always think I'm being sarcastic when I'm not - its just that expression externally is probably difficult for me without even realising.

I really really wish I could rig my life with CCTV cameras to see exactly what I'm doing!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I generally keep it stoic when I'm in public. At the store, I'll be warm and expressive with the people working there, but walk around the aisles with a blank stare. Same goes for the gym. The office is where I really withdraw. I can't handle how muddled peoples' intentions get in the context of work.

I take in alot of subtle information to draw sometimes startlingly-accurate conclusions about people. I think keeping a stone face around people I don't value is a way of keeping them from doing the same to me. It's a very subconcious drive that I don't even notice in the moment.

Twist: I still try to acknowledge people if we pass by individually, but I think this is just customary. I also happily acknowledge strangers that appear to be cool or jovial.

By the way, I doubt you're an INTP. You sound alot like me. Let me guess...events in your youth left you overwhelmed by and/or misunderstanding of your feelings, so you turned to reason to try to make sense of the things that caused you pain, and you now have trouble opening up and letting yourself follow your gut. The expression on your face is no reason to dismiss an entire career path. Get back in touch with that F side; it's working wonders for me.

:happy:

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are some who hold that a neutral expression is ideal for psychotherapy because you're not supposed to be emotionally engaged or demonstrative with patients.

I don't think I typically have a poker face, more a fixed smile and people say I'm hard to read. Some want to know what I'm smiling about (I hate anything like that pointed out).

The daydreamy look you mentioned, which I often have too, is opposite of poker-faced. It's filled with quiet emotion. So you probably fluctuate according to mood and external environment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I often have a poker face. Not all the time though.
What is really bad is when I show expression through a daydream.

"Hey, what are you smiling at?" I hate being asked that; now I have to think of something that happened recently.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Me too! I don't get excited usually in my facial expressions. I've been asked if I was bored. I also don't show any expression on roller coasters.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Realized two more points regarding...

People that are overly-forward: You're trying to pry into my inner world without my invitation. Stop that.

Narcissistic behavior: I see right through your self-centered sociability and ice over as a counterpoint.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sounds like me. It's usually intentional, as I like to keep my feelings private with people I don't know too well. It's defensive mechanism to deal with some social situations. Most people get surprised that how expressive I am after they get to know me.

Reactions: andievande

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I usually have a poker face on most of the time unless I'm with people I'm comfortable with or I'm really upset. I've been asked if anything phases me. Sometimes it's an advantage. Other times, people think I'm an unemotional robot. I'm more willing to discuss the ideas floating around in my brain than any feelings I'm experiencing.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
What Not to Wear: Frances : Video : TLC

Lol at that part where Stacy says "Still waters run deep" (which is sometimes said in INFP type descriptions).

Clinton uses an emotion scale to figure out what is going with our likely INFP Frances, who is (er) openly introverted. The huge back tattoo is the unexpected dark side an INFP would have.

I wouldn't say I myself am poker-faced, because I often am experiencing negative emotions and that shows. I've seen the poker face on some INFPs I've met offline or at least watched socialize on webcam. It's probable that INFPs are more poker-faced with people than by themselves, as for example Frances is more animated when it's just her being videotaped. It is hard to explain why - maybe I'll figure it out.

P.S.
I dare someone to wait a week or two for the attention to fade and then go to her website and ask her Myers-Briggs type. I wouldn't be surprised if she knows.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What Not to Wear: Frances : Video : TLC

Lol at that part where Stacy says "Still waters run deep" (which is sometimes said in INFP type descriptions).

Clinton uses an emotion scale to figure out what is going with our likely INFP Frances, who is (er) openly introverted. The huge back tattoo is the unexpected dark side an INFP would have.

I wouldn't say I myself am poker-faced, because I often am experiencing negative emotions and that shows. I've seen the poker face on some INFPs I've met offline or at least watched socialize on webcam. It's probable that INFPs are more poker-faced with people than by themselves, as for example Frances is more animated when it's just her being videotaped. It is hard to explain why - maybe I'll figure it out.

P.S.
I dare someone to wait a week or two for the attention to fade and then go to her website and ask her Myers-Briggs type. I wouldn't be surprised if she knows.
I dunno about her being INFP....too disconnected from her feelings. Maybe INTJ

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
I have no idea, people don't really comment either way for me. I tend to feel like I am being expressive, but then sometimes when I try expresions in the mirror it feels like I have to really exaggerate the muscle movements to get the expressions I'm going for....like my face just isn't capable of moving that much? *Shrug* I know I tend to look sort of serious/angry/perplexed a lot if I'm not paying attention to my outward expression - it's just how my face settles no matter what's going on inside, or so it seems. I often feel like I'm glowering at people, although I doubt it's as dramatic as I sometimes feel.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
It's possible I'm wrong about Frances. My hunch is based on several factors, such as soft-spokenness, style, and the tattoo, that seem more INFP than INTJ. I admit the lack of felt emotions over her old clothes is strange.

Anyway, I discovered something over the past six months, which is that some of my facial muscles need to be actively exercised or otherwise they lose their expressiveness. If I were more talkative with people, I probably wouldn't have that problem.

Reactions: REINReignsRain

·
Registered
434 Posts
I ended up getting sucked into watching that whole episode about Frances and getting all teary eyed. She's stunning with the new look.

I've always been told I have expressive eyes and a bit of edge. I can be reserved and/or cool, calm, collected but it's just not to that extent. As you can see, with a new polished look, her cool and calm looked authoratative rather than mousey. Having a calm demeanor is not a bad thing and not looked upon badly when you create a signature look.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Can't type my can't type my no he can't type my mbti poker faaaccceee

She's not an I-N-F-P

Can't type Can't type my can't type my no he can't type my mbti poker faaaccceee

She's not an I-N-F-P

Wow too much tea today.

To the OP,

No, not at all. I'm actually very transparent. If I like you, I'll show it and most likely tell you. If I hate you or dislike you, I'll show it and most likely tell you eventually (though you won't need me to). I can't hold back in terms of my emotions, they almost always find their way to the surface. I can get pretty frustrated when I have to hide my anger or whatever just because there are people around.

Reactions: saph
1 - 20 of 64 Posts