• No

Votes: 150 82.4%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
What the heck is an emo? o_O

I tried to find a definition and I found this:

Emo is a style of rock music typically characterized by melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics. ...
Is this it?

Sorry, not an INFP, but I was still curious since I've heard people use this term.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm emo in thought patterns, but you'll never see me with an emo hairstyle, or the desire to actually slash my wrist.
I'm not even sure if I like emo music lol.

I'm certain that most INFP's aren't emo, though.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I thought ISFPs were the ones more likely to be emos? My ISFP brother loves the emo style, though he doesn't identify himself as part of the culture (even though he often wears emo clothes and listens to emo music).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Despite my punk and rock tendencies, I have to agree with ForsakenMe that I definitely relate to the hippie stereotypes far more readily than emo. I do try to avoid those "Woe is me" tendencies, which is what it seems like a lot of emo music is about. I don't find anything about the fashion/hair styles to be particularly attractive on their own, though I do know a few people who seem to just fit into that mold so very well and look good. I think they're mostly SPs though...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought ISFPs were the ones more likely to be emos? My ISFP brother loves the emo style, though he doesn't identify himself as part of the culture (even though he often wears emo clothes and listens to emo music).
well I think ISFP's more likely to actually be emo, whereas INFP's are generally grouped in with the emo's without actually being emo because of similar behaviors and stereotyping.

ISFP's (and emo's) certainly do portray a much heavier "oh woe is me" attitude when they are sad. whereas INFP's usually hate themselves if they find themselves doing that.

also I doubt any "emo" has ever referred to themselves as emo. afaic if you listen to emo music, dress like an emo, are emotionally retarded like an emo etc, you are an emo.

Nope 'Emo' is a form of music and a style of clothing...

I don't dress that way although I will openly admit to self infliction issues
from the time I was 11/12-18 (before emo existed)
does that make me 'emo'?.....
Technically an "emo" does not exist, because like you said it is just a mixup of styles of clothing and music and a correlation with extremely overly whiny pussies with bad hair. it's just a label, much like the recent label of "hipster" that has begun to overshadow "emo".

The question is whether or not you have ever identified yourself as emo, not whether or not other people see you as emo.

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I was a teenager I probably related most to the emo culture, but I never felt a part of it, and I never really styled myself after it.

Omar, if your desire is truly to discredit the emo/infp connection, I think your first post may cause difficulty in getting an accurate result. When you state your motive to discredit the emo/infp connection before people vote, it cause an influence in voting. Also, maybe a definition of what you see as emo-ness?

If emo means being very in touch with my emotional side and living in a state of melancholy most of the time, I am emo.

If emo means the cultural traits and styles of clothing and music that were developed and adopted by many people in that state of life, I am not. It's like, is someone a hippie because of their tie-die and shaggy hair, or are they a hippie because of their ideals and perspectives? I think it's actually pretty weird how the word emo is associated more with a style and choice of music than the WAY a person is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
An INFP can be "Emo" but INFP is a way of being, it's effortless.
A person can dress the part and not be weird, INFPs are weird without
effort and no matter how you dress them up. I do agree with others here, INFPs usually are allergic towards
passing trends, when dressing a certain way becomes a conformist thing,
INFPs can spot it and will usually bail.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, maybe a definition of what you see as emo-ness?
if someone doesn't know, they aren't emo and never have been.

if you are not this guy:
you are not emo

also to clarify, emo started out as a new form of music but later became a social label. that is why there is some confusion as to what emo is exactly. it is more or a less a music genre AND a social label.

If emo means being very in touch with my emotional side and living in a state of melancholy most of the time, I am emo.

If emo means the cultural traits and styles of clothing and music that were developed and adopted by many people in that state of life, I am not. It's like, is someone a hippie because of their tie-die and shaggy hair, or are they a hippie because of their ideals and perspectives? I think it's actually pretty weird how the word emo is associated more with a style and choice of music than the WAY a person is.
Both of those traits are required to meet my standard of what I consider to be an emo.

I am basing this thread off of a stereotypical emo. because when someone compares an INFP to an emo person, they are comparing them to stereotypical emo's. the kind of person that one would visualize when they hear the word "emo". like the guy in the picture above.

so say you have a guy who considers himself an emo, who looks like the guy in the above picture, listens to a lot of my chemical romance and is very overly emotional and lies to pretend like noone understands him when really all he wants is attention.

then you take your average infp. the infp will be pretty emotional also and also pretty quiet and maybe even dress a bit like an emo. (i.e: i wear black a lot).

someone see's these traits in the infp (most often the fact that they are emotional and quiet) and just assumes they are emo because they are comparing them to the emo stereotype based on what is apparent.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It's a shame what the term "emo" has become. Ten years ago (and a little after that), emo referred to a really great genre of music, including bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Fugazi, The Get Up Kids, Northstar, and Taking Back Sunday. Now it's become so distorted from that music that's it's morphed into some strange fashion movement with a woe-is-me and attention seeking attitudes.

Anyway, I used to go to shows where a lot of emo kids showed up (and I admit I made fun of them a bit), and most of them to be ISFPs or SPs of some sort.

Not an INFP, just for clarification :crazy:

·
Registered
701 Posts
No. I identify myself as me, and dress and act in whatever manner I like, and listen to whatever music I may like.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The difference between us is that emos just pretend to be INFPs to get attention :crazy:

Also, INFPs all have somewhat different taste.
YES. You just said it all. :laughing:

Reactions: niki

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately ever since emo appeared as a subculture, it seems to be wrong to feel down or to be attracted to melancholic art; the moment you do it, people just point fingers, yelling 'emo' all the time. Pathetic, really.
as such is just another reason to ignore the opinions of narrowminded people. they took the rainbow and affiliated what was once a broadly used style with homosexuality. even though it IS representative of that, it is not binded to that purpose alone. but the average bigot wouldn't agree.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts