Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there guys :)

Im curious to know if it is normal for INFP's to have outbursts of being talkative. There are moments where I literally talk till my throat is sore, and other days where I am as quiet as a mouse. I understand that it is most likely caused because of the fact that I feel I retain onto my emotions ( which I wish could go expressed ) and then when I get a chance to speak to someone I just let it all burst . My emotions tend to be very intense, and a lot of people describe me as emotionally intense all the time. And I understand I can use outlets such as art or music, or writing, to express myself but from keeping silence for so long I feel i just want to express them to other people. And most of the time other people don't seem to understand the meaning I give my art, music and writing; I almost feel as if its completely overlooked. Like i could show someone an art piece and people just usually go off about talking about how nice and amazing it is , but no one understands th meaning. And that just hurts me . So I have times where I turn completely talkative and open, and many people would think that I'm a extrovert at those moments but i know that deep inside I truly am not. Im just being turbulent and hinting what I feel with people utilizing small talk. And after those conversations I don't feel better. I usually feel worse. I feel pathetic. I feel like I just annoyed people by being so talkative. In almost all my social instances I feel that I tend to annoy people.

Does anybody else go through this?
Does anybody else think this is right?

·
Registered
993 Posts
this is definitely normal. it just depends on your connection to the person you are talking to.

for example i could talk to my ENFJ dad for like 1-2 hours sometimes........

it depends on how well you know them and how willingly you are to express your feelings to them......... oh and how interested you are on the topic of course.....

NOTE: this does not mean you are an extrovert.
there is one simply test you can see if you are in extrovert. " do feel more energetic after having out with others?"

is social interactions a necessity for you? if so then you might be an extrovert.

1,239 Posts

Im curious to know if it is normal for INFP's to have outbursts of being talkative. There are moments where I literally talk till my throat is sore, and other days where I am as quiet as a mouse. I understand that it is most likely caused because of the fact that I feel I retain onto my emotions ( which I wish could go expressed ) and then when I get a chance to speak to someone I just let it all burst . My emotions tend to be very intense, and a lot of people describe me as emotionally intense all the time. And I understand I can use outlets such as art or music, or writing, to express myself but from keeping silence for so long I feel i just want to express them to other people. And most of the time other people don't seem to understand the meaning I give my art, music and writing; I almost feel as if its completely overlooked. Like i could show someone an art piece and people just usually go off about talking about how nice and amazing it is , but no one understands th meaning. And that just hurts me . So I have times where I turn completely talkative and open, and many people would think that I'm a extrovert at those moments but i know that deep inside I truly am not. Im just being turbulent and hinting what I feel with people utilizing small talk. And after those conversations I don't feel better. I usually feel worse. I feel pathetic. I feel like I just annoyed people by being so talkative. In almost all my social instances I feel that I tend to annoy people.

Yes I do pretty much all you said lol, its bad because you feel like people think you're fake or something because how talkative you are is so inconsistent. Like If I'm quiet I worry that people are finding me boring and if I'm loud then I worry that people are finding me annoying lol, there's no winning :/

Sometimes I just get a burst of enthusiasm and energy and people think I'm drunk a lot of those times

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I was at work the other day and was feeling pretty hyped up, I guess because I had to sit with someone all day and it brought me out of my head a lot. My coworkers were used to me being very silent but I was cracking jokes nonstop and even they said something about it. This sort of thing doesn't happen to me often, but it does indeed happen. But that's only in reference to people I don't know very well. That's typically small talk.

I'm guessing my friends know me as someone who talks a lot about things I generally wouldn't say..at work, I suppose - then again, maybe they don't think I talk so much because we don't hang out too often (excluding my rants on Facebook, in which I'm not really talking to anyone in particular...it's moreso me thinking aloud) In that sense I do find I need a lot of time away to collect my thoughts, but that generally means when I DO get back together with them, I have a ton to say. If I were to talk to and hang out with them on a regular basis, I think they'd notice me gradually saying less and less.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I usually get extremely chatty when I am excited or passionate about something. When I was younger, I used to blather on like an idiot around a crush as an over compensation for my reserved nature... thankfully they usually thought it was cute :blushed:

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
If its a subject i'm actually interested in I can be taken with such excitement that I take over the conversation, if you'd still it call it one because its like I just spew forth so many thoughts and it just keeps branching out until I have nothing left.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If its a subject i'm actually interested in I can be taken with such excitement that I take over the conversation, if you'd still it call it one because its like I just spew forth so many thoughts and it just keeps branching out until I have nothing left.
This exactly... it's like my Ne goes into hyper drive and I am momentarily channelling an ENFP friend I have. And if she & I have a conversation we are both passionate about, we can talk from 6pm to 6am.

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I agree that it depends on who and the topic, but I would also say my mood. Sometimes I get into this qwerky mood, maybe standing in line at a store and say something to a stranger with good lighthearted wit. It's almost in an ironic or defiant way to go against my introversion and spark up small conversation- which I find all the more funny. The whole interaction usually tickles me pink. Just being silly and the other person has no clue.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Yes, I am also emotionally intense. I understand the feeling of bottling up your emotions only to unleash them like an avalanche some time later. It's almost like it becomes to overwhelming for us to keep it contained for too long. It's like shaking a bottle of soda, creating this enormous amount of pressure that will inevitably explode once the cap is unscrewed.

In my talkative moments, I too come off as an extrovert and get invited to some get together with them. And then of course, I'm thinking of ways how to get out of it because like you, I'm an introvert. That heavy social weightlifting I just did just completely drained me, lol. So I leave things open-ended as to whether I'll attend said get together or not. So I will feel bad in those instances where I have to reject their invitation, as it's only natural for humans to want to get closer once rapport is established.

I don't think you should feel bad or pathetic after your conversations with others. Instead of feeling that you've annoyed your listeners, do you think that perhaps you have overwhelmed them with your intensity? Personally speaking, I don't get the feeling that I've annoyed people, but rather gave them too much to chew on with my thoughts and feelings (if I care to share with them at all).

The majority of society is actually very impersonal, when I think about it. Of course people want to connect and bond with each other. But the bond/connection that I believe NFs seek is of a different variety. It is not a bridge that can be built by wood or concrete, or any material found on this plane. But rather one built by our very soul's essence; our treasured secrets, our deepest longings, our sacred dreams, and our tragic sorrows. Just something that is not tangible.

So perhaps it is mere disappointment that you feel as opposed to causing annoyance in others?

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ccarlson92/33-infp-problems-x6eb

Check out #31 We are kinda famous for ranting.
@turabo40 Why do you feel bad when you go off on a tangent? Why do you feel worse after ranting? The majority of people have their passions, subjects they are very interested in and they love to talk about it. How would conversations look like without rants? A whole lot more boring I tell ya! It would go like this:

Person 1: Do you like music?
Person 2: Yes, I do.
Person 1: What band is your favorite?
Person 2: Coldplay
Person 1: Cool
*both person 1 and 2 reach for their mobile phones and twitter about their day*

Normal conversation, in my mind, would be that you also tell WHY you like music and WHY you like Coldplay. You tell them your favorite songs and why these songs make you love that band. You give information, people reply by asking questions or sharing information about their favorite bands/songs. You exchange info, you get to know each other, you create a deeper bond.

Please keep on ranting, please keep on being spontaniously talkative, its how you create deeper connections and more fulfilling social relationships. Don't think you are annoying, don't believe you voice cannot be heard. Speak up & speak up with passion!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Whenever someone brings up something I'm particularly passionate about, that's when I end up on this long arse spiel. I will pause if I notice people want to interject -sometimes-. It's rude of me, but I just can't seem to stop if I truly care about the topic at hand. With my ENFP friend, I have had moments where I have pretty much relayed the contents of my mind to her verbally. This usually happens when I'm feeling particularly dissociated and alienated from the world... and if my spirit feels like it's in a bad place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts