Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You ever unintentionally said or done something so insensitive that you yourself are shocked by it?

We just moved about 6 weeks ago. We are on an army base and we have neighbors with whom we share a big carport area. Our neighbors are dual-military (his and hers dog tags) and she is getting out soon. I could have sworn that her husband said that she was "expecting" but I guess I didn't hear what she was expecting. They went on a big road trip and when they got back I commented that she must be really tired from driving all that way. She said, no, that he did all the driving.

And here it comes, the stupid....

I said, "oh, that makes sense, because of the..." and here I gestured a large, round stomach over my own with my hands, implying that she was pregnant.

She looked at me confused and then said, "oh, no, I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat!"

How was I supposed to know that she was expecting to be chaptered out of the military for her weight!?

Anyone else have to have their foot surgically removed from their mouth?:confused:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Oh I hate when I have to react to news of a death! Or if someone has cancer or something. I've lost any ability to have a "natural" reaction and I'm always mostly interested in observing the grieving person as a study of human emotion and attachment. So it will be like,

person: "My grandfather died last sunday."

me: "Oh! Shit."

me: *awkward head-bob during uncomfortable pause*

me: "So, I guess you're pretty sad right now?"​

·
Registered
815 Posts
My insensitive comments are usually failed jokes.

True story: During my high school years...

My friend was complaining about a friend who wasn't doing their fair share of the work on a team project. In fact, he claimed that the guy wasn't doing ANYTHING and that he wanted to KILL him. No later than two weeks later the guy he was complaining about killed himself. My friend was very distraught and came to me. Know what I said?
"Your desire came true, he's dead"

I can't believe that I said that :sad:

·
Registered
859 Posts
My insensitive comments are usually failed jokes.

True story: During my high school years...

My friend was complaining about a friend who wasn't doing their fair share of the work on a team project. In fact, he claimed that the guy wasn't doing ANYTHING and that he wanted to KILL him. No later than two weeks later the guy he was complaining about killed himself. My friend was very distraught and came to me. Know what I said?
"Your desire came true, he's dead"

I can't believe that I said that :sad:
*laughs uncontrollably*

Oh holy shit. That was awesome.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I once accidentally gave the middle finger to an entire funeral precession :blushed:

I thought it was some kind of protest or some weird religious group, all I knew was there was like 160 cars on the freeway going 30MPH in the slow lane with their caution lights on, so I sped by, finger out the window, came to the front, saw a hearse, realized I was going to hell so I better live it up while I'm here on earth, and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My friend was bawling over the loss of her dog she'd had for more than a decade and I said:

"Well, you can always get a new one. I mean, you'll get over it soon enough."

Yeah. Not a good idea. My friends stopped trusting me with their emotions after that time in 6th grade...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My friend was bawling over the loss of her dog she'd had for more than a decade and I said:

"Well, you can always get a new one. I mean, you'll get over it soon enough."

Yeah. Not a good idea. My friends stopped trusting me with their emotions after that time in 6th grade...
Yeah, I never have gotten the animal-love thing. For me, they are just a reason to own a lint roller.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I once accidentally gave the middle finger to an entire funeral precession :blushed:

I thought it was some kind of protest or some weird religious group, all I knew was there was like 160 cars on the freeway going 30MPH in the slow lane with their caution lights on, so I sped by, finger out the window, came to the front, saw a hearse, realized I was going to hell so I better live it up while I'm here on earth, and haven't looked back.
Nice!

I've made too many people pissed off at me but what can I say? Shit happens... The odd thing though is that when I do piss people off, it's usually through verbal teasing and then I'm still friends with them. I'm not shocked when I do this however, it's just what I do: I piss people off. :tongue:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice!

I've made too many people pissed off at me but what can I say? Shit happens... The odd thing though is that when I do piss people off, it's usually through verbal teasing and then I'm still friends with them. I'm not shocked when I do this however, it's just what I do: I piss people off. :tongue:
Lol, one of my best friends is ENTJ and there are times I wonder if he isn't a sociopath for the ways he can toy with people.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't say this, my buddy did. We were at an accident scene and someone asked, "I'm looking for Jose." My buddy points to multiple body parts and says, "Well he's right there. And there. And over there too." Nice job numb nuts. It was Jose's brother.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Oh no, I'm the KING of stupid commments.

My roommate had to put her cat to sleep on a certain day, and when I came home, the first thing I asked her:
"Is the cat dead yet?"
I literally clapped my hand over my mouth, I was horrified how that sounded. And she was even more horrified.

My assistant is 4'10, morbidly obese and she was about to stand on a tiny rickety chair to reach for something.

Me: "Frida don't stand on that. You'll still be too short to reach the box, plus you'll break the chair." (I stood on the chair and retrieved the box successfully)

She started crying right then and there. I had to "there there..." :dry: her for 10 minutes. It's not that I was insulting her - it was just a fact - she was just too heavy. The chair would've broken.

So I didn't word it properly. It's still better than yelling, "Get off the chair!"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh no, I'm the KING of stupid commments.

My roommate had to put her cat to sleep on a certain day, and when I came home, the first thing I asked her:
"Is the cat dead yet?"
I literally clapped my hand over my mouth, I was horrified how that sounded. And she was even more horrified.

My assistant is 4'10, morbidly obese and she was about to stand on a tiny rickety chair to reach for something.

Me: "Frida don't stand on that. You'll still be too short to reach the box, plus you'll break the chair." (I stood on the chair and retrieved the box successfully)

She started crying right then and there. I had to "there there..." :dry: her for 10 minutes. It's not that I was insulting her - it was just a fact - she was just too heavy. The chair would've broken.

So I didn't word it properly. It's still better than yelling, "Get off the chair!"

LOL... Things sounds wrong most of the time when we open our mouth and people usually get upset about it. But we usually crack the bystanders up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was on a trip with some friends and we were sleeping at the grandma's of one of the guys, and she had a cat. I don't like cats. Anyway, I was sleeping in the room with an INTP friend of mine and every night that damn cat entered in our room, climbed on our beds and kept walking on us, awakening us. I don't like to be awakened. I don't like to be awakened by cats.
At first we were like "ok, let's put this fucking cat outside", but by the third night or so we had a great idea: let's put the cat inside the closet! And so we did. Every night, before going to sleep, we caught the damn cat and locked it inside the room's closet and took it out by the morning.
Needless to say, in a certain day we forgot the cat inside the closet and left for our daily activities. We were at a bar, it was 10 PM or something and my friend yelled: "OH CRAP!" everybody was like: "What happened?” he said: "The cat!” I yelled "OH CRAP! The cat!” the other guys: "What the hell?”.
We explained the whole situation, everybody was shocked and the grandson of the cat's owner said: "You must go there and take the cat off that closet!" and we replied: "If it was there for 12+ hours it can endure a few more".
When we got back at the house our hostess said: “Boys, did you saw my cat today? I’m so worried!” we replied: “Ermm… I don’t think so…” and rushed into our room to take the cat off, he was there alive and in one piece.
The good thing was that the cat didn’t got any close to us ever again.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I was on a trip with some friends and we were sleeping at the grandma's of one of the guys, and she had a cat. I don't like cats. Anyway, I was sleeping in the room with an INTP friend of mine and every night that damn cat entered in our room, climbed on our beds and kept walking on us, awakening us. I don't like to be awakened. I don't like to be awakened by cats.
At first we were like "ok, let's put this fucking cat outside", but by the third night or so we had a great idea: let's put the cat inside the closet! And so we did. Every night, before going to sleep, we caught the damn cat and locked it inside the room's closet and took it out by the morning.
Needless to say, in a certain day we forgot the cat inside the closet and left for our daily activities. We were at a bar, it was 10 PM or something and my friend yelled: "OH CRAP!" everybody was like: "What happened?” he said: "The cat!” I yelled "OH CRAP! The cat!” the other guys: "What the hell?”.
We explained the whole situation, everybody was shocked and the grandson of the cat's owner said: "You must go there and take the cat off that closet!" and we replied: "If it was there for 12+ hours it can endure a few more".
When we got back at the house our hostess said: “Boys, did you saw my cat today? I’m so worried!” we replied: “Ermm… I don’t think so…” and rushed into our room to take the cat off, he was there alive and in one piece.
The good thing was that the cat didn’t got any close to us ever again.
Classic. :crazy:

That made me laugh so hard, cause I did something similar!

I was dogsitting at someone's house once, scheduled for 8 hours, but the puppy was a handful and NOT housebroken. My friends called me and wanted to pick me up to grab a bite to eat right then and there, so I put the puppy and its food and water in the shower stall (the kind with sliding glass doors) and barricaded the entrace with furniture so it couldn't get out.

Then I went off with my friends for nearly the whole day, got back to the place an hour before the owners came back, and lo and behold, the shower floor was covered in piss and shit. I took out the puppy and the drain strainer, ran the water until everything went down and got paid $80 an hour later. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Girl in my class, about whom another girl was talking to me because of her lack of taste in guys: "You guys were making fun of me while I was away, weren't you?"
Random guy: "We weren't making fun of you for what you probably think... oh, wait."

:crazy:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Okay, I was at the chess club. Some guy was talking about a girl one class below me. I said: "Oh Isis? (for that was her name)? isn't that the batshit crazy ugly redhead that looked like she touched a high-voltage line?" "Yes, that's my daughter, and..."

1 - 20 of 74 Posts