Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching The Universe on Mars and thinking about the facts they propose. I would like to start a thread where you can share your interesting scientific facts that may or may not be commonly heard of. I'll start:

Did you know the Martian surface is composed of Iron Oxide (rust)? It's been broken down to sand-like size and the surface is covered in it, thus giving it it's red appearance. Could you imagine riding an ATV over rust covered dunes?

Reactions: Dauntless

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You never really touch anything; electrostatic repulsion between like charges prevents this.
Yes Coulombs law! The phenomenon is called Coulomb repulsion but it's interesting isn't it?

Octopuses are immune to the effects of the Japanese Man Of War's poisonous barbs.
They actually tear the barbs from the Man of War's body, consume the rest, and use the barbs as battle axes against other predators!
Wow! That's pretty cool!

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Masturbating does not make you blind!

An apple a day does nothing to help protect you from doctors.

Once you pop a can of Pringles, you can in fact stop.

A tomato is a fruit.

Laughter barely qualifies as medicine.

Contrary to commercials, not every single car can be the best.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it only fools one into believing.

....more to come I'm sure.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Yes Coulombs law! The phenomenon is called Coulomb repulsion but it's interesting isn't it?
Yes, Coulomb's law describes the force between two stationary electrically charged particles, the main objects of study in electrostatics!

But here let me try to describe the mating process of the angler fish:
1. The sole purpose of the male angler fish is to find a mate.
2. He is guided to a female by the scent of her pheromones.
3. He bites her side.
4. His face melts and his body fuses with hers.
5. His organs waste away, leaving only the gonads.
6. Female angler fish impregnates herself.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Set Up: My family physician is always making rude comments about my "breeder hips" despite the awkward and uncomfortable silences after each jab he makes.

Ancient women's pelvis examinations provide scientific evidence that the human mind's expansion was, in fact, directly related to a woman's ability to accomodate a larger head. The neo-frontal cortex could only be birthed by women who could facilitate the evolution. Wide hips actually indicate intelligence.
I was always very self-conscious about them, until I found my reprieve.
Take that Dr.Asshole.
Take that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Set Up: My family physician is always making rude comments about my "breeder hips" despite the awkward and uncomfortable silences after each jab he makes.

Ancient women's pelvis examinations provide scientific evidence that the human mind's expansion was, in fact, directly related to a woman's ability to accomodate a larger head. The neo-frontal cortex could only be birthed by women who could facilitate the evolution. Wide hips actually indicate intelligence.
Take that Dr.Asshole.
Take that.
So, wider hips --> smarter babies? Let me write that down. :tongue:

But here let me try to describe the mating process of the angler fish:
1. The sole purpose of the male angler fish is to find a mate.
2. He is guided to a female by the scent of her pheromones.
3. He bites her side.
4. His face melts and his body fuses with hers.
5. His organs waste away, leaving only the gonads.
6. Female angler fish impregnates herself.
That is so messed up that I had to YouTube an animal planet video and watch it.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Reactions: QueCueYew

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Now that is just gross....you should be ashamed of yourself for comparing such a beautiful act of love as the anglerfish to that of a sick twisted son-of-a-bitch creating a human caterpillar.

Reactions: Jennywocky

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
RNA, a close cousin of DNA, is an awesome molecule. It can do almost anything: store genetic information; double back and bond with itself to form three-dimensional structures; even catalyze chemical reactions, much like an enzyme. One of these catalyzing RNA molecules (called "ribozymes") is RNA polymerase - the molecule responsible for replicating RNA. So, RNA is self-replicating (!). RNA can translate the base pair sequence of DNA into peptides, which then fold into proteins - this is carried out by ribosomal RNA (rRNA). In fact, RNA is at the root of one of our most promising abiogenesis ideas - the "RNA World Hypothesis." There's a lot of really solid evidence suggesting that self-replicating RNA molecules may have been the form of life on early earth that ultimately led to all life as we now know it.

If you like this thread, you should subscribe to "I fucking love science" on Facebook.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RNA, a close cousin of DNA, is an awesome molecule. It can do almost anything: store genetic information; double back and bond with itself to form three-dimensional structures; even catalyze chemical reactions, much like an enzyme. One of these catalyzing RNA molecules (called "ribozymes") is RNA polymerase - the molecule responsible for replicating RNA. So, RNA is self-replicating (!). RNA can translate the base pair sequence of DNA into peptides, which then fold into proteins - this is carried out by ribosomal RNA (rRNA). In fact, RNA is at the root of one of our most promising abiogenesis ideas - the "RNA World Hypothesis." There's a lot of really solid evidence suggesting that self-replicating RNA molecules may have been the form of life on early earth that ultimately led to all life as we now know it.

If you like this thread, you should subscribe to "I fucking love science" on Facebook.
I am actually subscribed to that page. I love it! About when I read down to the point that RNA is self-replicating, I went, ABIOGENESIS! So glad that you put that at the end there. I will look into it, because it sounds like a very good hypothesis.

Reactions: Dauntless

·
Registered
778 Posts

Take that Dr.Asshole.
Take that.
Nice ,I have wide hips and I too used feel self-conscious about them but not anymore :proud:.........

·
Registered
778 Posts
1. No one can keep their eyes open while sneezing.
2.A mouse can live longer than a camel without water for days .
3.Male misquotes never bite ,its the female who does the job .
4.Decimal system was originated in India .
5.Hot water freezes more quickly than the cold one ,when kept in freezer for freezing .
6.Chameleon's eyes can look independently from each other, in opposite direction at the same time .

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Astrophysics time!

- Pluto was found as a result of the decade-long search for Planet X, a planet that was believed to exist due to the malfunction of one telescope.

- The moons of Uranus are named after Shakespearean characters, and Uranus itself was originally named George.

- A moon of Jupiter (I believe), while it's supposed to be too far from the sun to have water (water being fundamental for life). It boasts delicious liquid h2o as a result of the energy from the gravitational effect of Jupiter (heat being a form of energy).

- Planets are not necessarily spherical. The centrifugal force generated from spinning on their axis causes them to be wider at the equator. Saturn spins fastest, and the distance between poles is 10% smaller than the distance between two opposite points on the equator.

- The Earth crashes through 200-300 tonnes of debris each day and moves around the sun 19 miles per second.

- Black holes -- the effect of the mass of a star being expressed in an infinitesimally small area -- have a nice term coined for the people who enter them; "spaghettification". The process of having your entire body torn apart atomically due to the enormous force expressed in so little a distance that it makes individual atoms seem enormous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Octopuses are immune to the effects of the Japanese Man Of War's poisonous barbs.
They actually tear the barbs from the Man of War's body, consume the rest, and use the barbs as battle axes against other predators!
Well, maybe the octopuses think that we craft wood and metal to use as Man of War tentacles against other humans.

A tomato is a fruit.
Tomato is actually a berry.

1-upped.

Are Curvier Women Smarter? - CBS News

I'm through thread-bombing, i was just excited.
The problem with those is that it seems like any one person can fit several different theories as to 'why they're smart'.

I fit about 5 or so of them myself (then again, I am pretty smart, so...).

Everything is a particle and a wave; however, somethings are so massive and slow-moving that their wave-like nature appears to make them solid.
Things can move so fast that they appear massless.
Things can move so fast that they are infinite in mass.
Things can move so fast that they have their own movements through time.
Things can move so fast that they move straight through you, and are doing so right now.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Taco Bell actually is Mexican food......all the same ingredients and the same types of food, just because it may not be up to most people's standards of ''quality'' food does not make it unmexican.

America didn't win WWII, Russia did. America just annihilated two major cities at the end to finish the one remaining enemy that was already pretty much defeated anyway.

Evolution is fact. ("Theory" is actually the highest promotion a scientific idea can become. Theory is merely a large collection of data and facts that back it up; in a very general sense)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts