Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It isn't often I agree with TJ but I feel this timely video really incapsulates many of my thoughts.

What are your thoughts/opinions on Sony's decision?

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Sony is being a coward. A massive, freaking coward. They should release the movie as planned and stand up to the goddamn threats against them. Giving in to demands is stupid, idiotic and if this starts becoming a trend where people can send in threats whenever they dislike a movie for any reason, it'd be the downfall of the industry, satire and freedom of expression. Threats? As writers and creators, we should be laughing in the faces of North Korea ((I say "we" as I'm an artist/writer and political criticism is my genre)).

I think this is a cowardly move on Sony's part and I have yet to see anyone actually agree with Sony on this; even people I don't usually agree with are saying this is a dumb move on Sony's part. What is the point of giving in? It shows weakness and fear, which is EXACTLY what the hackers wanted. Cool. Let the terrorists win. Real smart. Even if North Korea did anything, retaliation from the US and it's allies would be an inevitability and guess what? North Korea would be OBLITERATED. It'd be a dumb move on their part to even carry out anything they might be threatening to do. They ((both sides)) are just being stupid, overly-sensitive babies.

I wasn't going to see this movie but fuck Sony. I won't be doing business with them again as I don't want to support goddamn cowards who suck up to the bully on the street with little man syndrome. I've heard some other North Korea-related projects are being cancelled over this so fuck them, too. Nothing should be "safe" in film, fiction and art; everything should be explored. This fear-driven censorship is absurd and is not something we should allow to become the norm to any degree.

Grow a pair, Sony.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My girlfriend works at a movie theatre. A large chain movie theatre. I was beyond terrified by these messages, the idea of losing her scared the crap out of me.

Look, you can be sad that a stupid movie was pulled, but I'm so grateful it was pulled. Even if it was an empty threat, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep at night by the thought of someone coming in and killing the girl I love. They're not shutting down movie theatres everywhere, they're not going to stop filming movies, they simply pulled one movie and I'm going to sleep happily knowing I will see my girlfriend again because no one is going to come in and shoot her.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i honestly don't have any political opinion on this situation, i'm just happy that there will be one less shitty seth rogen movie out there for my friends to make me watch.

now that i think about it, on one hand, i think that freedom of expression is very important (even if that expression is in poor taste), but on the other hand i really don't want anyone to get hurt. but on the other other hand, i don't think north korea is much of a threat to us, and i don't think we should give them the idea that they are. i guess i just think both sides of the situation are really silly and dumb, and i kind of just wish we could go back in time and stop the movie from being made so that we could avoid this shit altogether.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts