Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.
I am an INTJ and i frequently find myself looking around my room thinking "It looks like a bag lady's trolley exploded in here, why do i have so much crap?", and yet finding it hard to throw anything out. I still have pebbles from when i was 8 when i went to the beach, a rusty nail i found, and piles upon piles of marbles that seem to congregate in my room. I had to steel myself for 5 minutes before i could bring myself to throw away a beach chair token from a recent holiday. I find myself thinking that this is utterly ridiculous, and yet i have always had a problem with throwing things away (It seems to run in the family, nothing ever gets thrown out, just passed around in case someone else finds it useful).

Everynow and again i get utterly ruthless and throw out everything and my room becomes empty and spartan except for a few key items, like my pebbles and the rusty nail, but it seems like that in no time at all my room is filled with crap again. It's not like i keep rubbish and packaging, but od little things i pick up and find difficult to throw away again.
This strikes me as very un-INTJ like behaviour, so i was wondering if this is something anyone else struggles with, or wether you all manage to keep pretty tidy.

(PS. Everywhere else in my house has to be spotless or i fly off the rails and an OCD like cleaning frenzy ensues, but it's just my room is messy as hell and filled with crap.)

·
Banned
6,762 Posts
If I were living alone, I would use so little storage space it'd be beautiful...

I loathe souvenirs, they're reminders of places I've forgotten (I have an awful memory) and was unimpressed even when I was there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@antiant
Well, the intj is stereotypically clear thinking and straightforward and not given to such random attachments to objects with no value i thought it must be unusual for an INTJ hoarder, though it is a similar condition to OCD which seems to affect many NT's, so i was wondering which personality trait would override eachother.

·
Banned
6,762 Posts
@antiant
Well, the intj is stereotypically clear thinking and straightforward and not given to such random attachments to objects with no value i thought it must be unusual for an INTJ hoarder, though it is a similar condition to OCD which seems to affect many NT's, so i was wondering which personality trait would override eachother.
OCD, ADD, Autism.
Yeah, we're a fun bunch -- psychologically speaking.

OT:
Well, in this scenario, your emotional value in the item are heavily outweighing the logical value in them.

You might want to look into why that is.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have some impulse control problems (not professionally diagnosed) that i always assumed was part of it, i was just wondering how prevalent this particular branch of impulse control disorder is in the INTJ's

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,406 Posts
It hasn't got a great deal to do with INTJ, There are a few reasons why people hoard...a fear aspect in there? My father has a severe hoarding issue. He has over 20,000 vinyl records amongst a hell of a lot of other stuff. He lives in a teeny tiny house which was built when average height for men was 5"6" He is 6 "4.

He says they are all about his memories but they are actually just garage sale item collected over the last 10 years. It makes little sense in what he says to justify it. He says that the things he keeps are for me and my brother for when he passes....and we fight over who is going to get his shit...no you have it...NOOOOO you! We would have to spend at least a couple of weeks going through it all.

My mother had a hoarding problem since her parents grew up in the depression. Being a waster was a swear word for her. She eventually just got tired of having too much shit around and sold heaps to have space to move.

I will hoard too but only for a year....I'll typically put what I'm not using downstairs and it gets ruined by the damp then thrown out....works for me. I keep some things which are meaningful but mostly I keep things for crafts and fixing things.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Can't say it's really a problem I suffer from. I have a few things that I can't part with, but am working on that - but they aren't enough to even remotely look like I'm a hoarder, or even someone with a lot of junk. And we live in a pretty small house.

About the only things I haven't gotten ride of are my collection of childhood stuffed animals. I've managed to separate them into two bags (ones that I have some attachment to and others I don't) and have put them into the attic with the exception of a couple that remain in our bedroom. Eventually I know the one bag of them will manage to make it's way to the trash or Goodwill. Not sure if I'll manage to part with the other bag of them, I'm hoping time apart does the trick lol. Otherwise, one bag of silly attachment stuff in my attic doesn't exactly make me a hoarder.

I also have a collection of model horses that I've collected since I was about 2 years old. Some of them are actually worth a fair bit of money, and they are all neatly displayed in a couple china cabinets.

So, definitely not a hoarder (I HATE tons of crap sitting around), but I do have the odd item or two that has some weird emotional attachment and I can't bring myself to get rid of it...but I think that's a human thing, not an INTJ thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can't say it's really a problem I suffer from. I have a few things that I can't part with, but am working on that - but they aren't enough to even remotely look like I'm a hoarder, or even someone with a lot of junk. And we live in a pretty small house.

About the only things I haven't gotten ride of are my collection of childhood stuffed animals. I've managed to separate them into two bags (ones that I have some attachment to and others I don't) and have put them into the attic with the exception of a couple that remain in our bedroom. Eventually I know the one bag of them will manage to make it's way to the trash or Goodwill. Not sure if I'll manage to part with the other bag of them, I'm hoping time apart does the trick lol. Otherwise, one bag of silly attachment stuff in my attic doesn't exactly make me a hoarder.

I also have a collection of model horses that I've collected since I was about 2 years old. Some of them are actually worth a fair bit of money, and they are all neatly displayed in a couple china cabinets.

So, definitely not a hoarder (I HATE tons of crap sitting around), but I do have the odd item or two that has some weird emotional attachment and I can't bring myself to get rid of it...but I think that's a human thing, not an INTJ thing.
I've retained my teddies. Some of them I just can't part with.

I'm really bad when it comes to books, they're mostly the thing that I won't budge on.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
*looks around his room*

I really don't own very much stuff. My room is rather spartan.

The things I do own I somewhat identify with, but everything is replaceable.

I own a copy of The Red Book by Carl Jung. That's like, my prized possession right now. I sleep with it right next to me. Other than that, my laptop and my smartphone. That's about it. I have a couple boxes in my closet, one is an old computer I should probably just throw away or donate, and the other is a few dozen important books that I occasionally reference. I posted a few pictures of my bedroom in the INTJ picture thread, you can see what I mean by spartan.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've retained my teddies. Some of them I just can't part with.

I'm really bad when it comes to books, they're mostly the thing that I won't budge on.
I kept one teddy, the rest were victim to a ruthless dejunking session :/
I also don't throw out books, and collect them at every opportunity. I have 2 floot to ceiling book cases crammed with books in my toom, another one downstairs, some drawers and numerous boxes in the attic. Anything else is fair game when i tidy, but not my books. I even got the entire works of Charles Dickens all leather bound from the school library because the librarian didnt want to give up a shelf to books "nobody would ever read" The only deal was i had to be able to carry them home. I'm constantly scavenging books from car boot sales and second hand shops. Especially old books. But i make sure i read them all, some people just collect books and dont read them.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*looks around his room*

I really don't own very much stuff. My room is rather spartan.

The things I do own I somewhat identify with, but everything is replaceable.

I own a copy of The Red Book by Carl Jung. That's like, my prized possession right now. I sleep with it right next to me. Other than that, my laptop and my smartphone. That's about it. I have a couple boxes in my closet, one is an old computer I should probably just throw away or donate, and the other is a few dozen important books that I occasionally reference. I posted a few pictures of my bedroom in the INTJ picture thread, you can see what I mean by spartan.
Yeah, just looked at your comment. Don't think my room has been that tidy in... Let's just say a while. I stuffed my armada of instruments & accompanying crap into the wardrobe to open up some more space... which was promptly filled by books i retrieved from Dads place.

Reactions: Abraxas

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I've retained my blankie but that's it. I have eras of belongings that just don't exist anymore. [pre-adoption, childhood, teen, college]

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
@antiant
Thinking and behavior are two separate things. MBTI is all about cognitive processes, not behavior, if you really want to know more about what you are asking, you should have asked or framed your question around the Enneagram system, as that is based on motivations and behaviors. The Enneagram 5 is a 'hoarder' of sorts, for example. At any rate, your question has nothing to do with being an INTJ as it were, due to the aforementioned explanation above.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MBTI is all about cognitive processes, not behavior, if you really want to know more about what you are asking, you should have asked or framed your question around the Enneagram system, as that is based on motivations and behaviors.
Don't really know enough about the Enneagram to feel comfortable talking about/referencing it in a forum, but i'll look into it

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If I were living alone, I would use so little storage space it'd be beautiful...

I loathe souvenirs, they're reminders of places I've forgotten (I have an awful memory) and was unimpressed even when I was there.
I'm the same way. I rarely even take pictures, unless they are of people/friends. I won't remember what the heck it was anyway.

I love throwing things away. Apart from my gadgets there's not much I wouldn't get rid of. A few family heirlooms - that's it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
@bethdeth

My mom and one brother are hoarders. Father and other brother not. I have been periodically a hoarder - craft stuff, art supplies, books, sentimental objects and photos.
Easily 75% of it is related to backlog of things not related to survival that I have to make time for, such as sorting photos and putting them in albums. I don't want to get rid of any until they are properly sorted and placed. I save pictures of projects I want to do and have more projects "planned" now than I would ever have time to complete if I were to live 50 more lives.

I don't have enough time to do the art that I want, so it is easier to buy and save supplies "for that future time when I WILL have the time". Bad way to handle it but...

we fight over who is going to get his shit...no you have it...NOOOOO you! We would have to spend at least a couple of weeks going through it all.
Ha ha, my sibs and I also do this. "Who's going to take 3 years off of work to go up to mum's house when she is eventually found, dead, being nibbled on by her hungry neglected pets, surrounded by towers of shit, and sort out 50 years of hoarded shit?"

Photos of objects can replace objects like souvenirs. So if you have pictures of a few things you saved from a place, and put the photos of these with the photos of the trip, it's easier to get rid of them.

I have problems with keeping too many "nice" books, too, I feel like the world is going all digital and beauty on paper is so much less ephemeral. It won't disappear. You can hold it and keep it (bar a house fire,and age-yellowing, and...and...LOL).

It feels really good to clean the house up. I like the feeling of a zen house. So what I do hang onto, I tend to box up and stick in a garage or storage unit. Periodically I drag it out and start sorting it but hate the look of stuff everywhere, it is depressing, so at some point I just give up and stuff it back in the box and away it goes again after only partially sorting the contents. I really spin out on deciding what to keep and what not to. Wheels grinding futilely. Don't know why.

I do not think it is an INTJ thing. All the hoarders I know are of different types but they keep stuff for different reasons that DO relate to their type. ISTJ who keeps books - guardian of the shreds of the physical T-realm, Luddite, won't go on the computer. Other SJs and NTPs keep things because they might be valuable some day or NFPs because they are sad that time has passed and they want to keep old memories fresh.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,406 Posts
@bethdeth

My mom and one brother are hoarders. Father and other brother not. I have been periodically a hoarder - craft stuff, art supplies, books, sentimental objects and photos.
Easily 75% of it is related to backlog of things not related to survival that I have to make time for, such as sorting photos and putting them in albums. I don't want to get rid of any until they are properly sorted and placed. I save pictures of projects I want to do and have more projects "planned" now than I would ever have time to complete if I were to live 50 more lives.

I don't have enough time to do the art that I want, so it is easier to buy and save supplies "for that future time when I WILL have the time". Bad way to handle it but...

Ha ha, my sibs and I also do this. "Who's going to take 3 years off of work to go up to mum's house when she is eventually found, dead, being nibbled on by her hungry neglected pets, surrounded by towers of shit, and sort out 50 years of hoarded shit?"

Photos of objects can replace objects like souvenirs. So if you have pictures of a few things you saved from a place, and put the photos of these with the photos of the trip, it's easier to get rid of them.

I have problems with keeping too many "nice" books, too, I feel like the world is going all digital and beauty on paper is so much less ephemeral. It won't disappear. You can hold it and keep it (bar a house fire,and age-yellowing, and...and...LOL).

It feels really good to clean the house up. I like the feeling of a zen house. So what I do hang onto, I tend to box up and stick in a garage or storage unit. Periodically I drag it out and start sorting it but hate the look of stuff everywhere, it is depressing, so at some point I just give up and stuff it back in the box and away it goes again after only partially sorting the contents. I really spin out on deciding what to keep and what not to. Wheels grinding futilely. Don't know why.

I do not think it is an INTJ thing. All the hoarders I know are of different types but they keep stuff for different reasons that DO relate to their type. ISTJ who keeps books - guardian of the shreds of the physical T-realm, Luddite, won't go on the computer. Other SJs and NTPs keep things because they might be valuable some day or NFPs because they are sad that time has passed and they want to keep old memories fresh.
When I split from limpet he wouldn't actually come and get his things. He kept on saying he would come over during his lunch hour to go over it. It was more that he could continue contact with me though as it turned out. After 4 months of this along with sappy "I have a love horn" texts from him I simply turfed and gave away everything after repeated warnings. Then I was faced with downstairs and what he and my father had stored there. Two truck loads (small removalist truck to the roof) stuff came out. :shocked:

Yeah it felt good to get all that out.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I'm the opposite of a hoarder, I love getting rid of stuff. My ESTJ mother is the same way. My ENFJ husband, however, definitely is a hoarder, as are his mother and brother. They are all different personality types. I think what they have in common is that their stuff somehow feels to them like an extension of themselves. When they throw away stuff, all three act like they are throwing away part of their lives, part of themselves. It can be quite disconcerting, how deeply threatened they feel when trying to get rid of things. If I tried to get rid of my husband's piles and piles of saved papers, I think it would probably destroy my marriage. He wouldn't be able to handle the rejection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts