Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any writers out there? If so, what genre, formats and have you been published. :happy:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I write, write, and write as an unpublished amature. Above any other technique, it is something that really helps me outline my thoughts, understand things better, and is relaxing. It might be about something personal one day, something on science/biology the next, and at other times a random topic or current event that stirs my noodle and I'll start writing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I write, write, and write as an unpublished amature. Above any other technique, it is something that really helps me outline my thoughts, understand things better, and is relaxing. It might be about something personal one day, something on science/biology the next, and at other times a random topic or current event that stirs my noodle and I'll start writing.
I usually sketch an idea out on paper and that helps me organize my thoughts so I can write them down. Usually I don't write on science related matters, although I do a fair bit of research in that field. Most of my written work is short and an extension of my views on something in a fictional metaphoric way. I've never been published, but I have three stories that I have been working on for sometime and I plan to self publish them when they are finished.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I write, it's how I feel (which is such a cheesy way to put it, but honestly, it's true), and process what's going on, and helps me understand it. And I want to be published someday, I just need to write something that I like so much that I can stick with it for a longer period of time.

I write fiction based on the modern world. It's hard for me to write about anything else because I tend to get too stuck on the facts, and if I find out I got a fact wrong, the whole story kind of crumbles. Once I had written a whole story, and I sent it off to a beta, and she told me that one tiny fact was wrong. I deleted that story, and refused to talk about it for ages. So, that makes it difficult.

And I have to write about characters that are at least 1 year younger than me, because I need to distance myself from that age and how it feels, in order to write something that I feel genuine. I'm pretty young, so it doesn't leave me with a whole lot of ages to work with...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been writing fiction since I was eight. I've always wanted to be a writer and one day I know I will be :crazy: I've completed a novel, but it needs some correcting before being published. Currently I'm working on my second novel. I intend to publish them both when they're perfectly finished. I just love going to my personal world and planning, planning, planning... The events, the characters, the surroundings... Plans combined with imagination :tongue: I love it!

Apart from the novels I write fanficion and short stories. As a child I used to write simple poetry but I kinda grew out of it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any writers out there? If so, what genre, formats and have you been published. :happy:
(Raises hand and jumps up and down) Me Me Me! :dry:

Yeah, I'm an aspiring novelist. On my second book attempt. Wrote a shitty book many years ago, and after 165,000 words realized it sucked. Now I'm on a not-so-shitty book and am 146,000 words into it and will be finished in a few more months.

I hope to get it published in some form--- may opt to self-publish since getting published as a first-time writer is near impossible now'days, even if it is good.

Sci-fi/Fantasy is my genre of choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I write, it's how I feel (which is such a cheesy way to put it, but honestly, it's true), and process what's going on, and helps me understand it. And I want to be published someday, I just need to write something that I like so much that I can stick with it for a longer period of time.

I write fiction based on the modern world. It's hard for me to write about anything else because I tend to get too stuck on the facts, and if I find out I got a fact wrong, the whole story kind of crumbles. Once I had written a whole story, and I sent it off to a beta, and she told me that one tiny fact was wrong. I deleted that story, and refused to talk about it for ages. So, that makes it difficult.

And I have to write about characters that are at least 1 year younger than me, because I need to distance myself from that age and how it feels, in order to write something that I feel genuine. I'm pretty young, so it doesn't leave me with a whole lot of ages to work with...
I have never really liked writing about people my age or younger than me. Thirty five seems my ideal character's age. I guess it's because I really don't care to write about young people at this time. I have never felt comfortable around them, maybe that's because most of my friends were in their thirties when I was a teenager. When I went to collage I freaked out and went up to first person that wasn't a teenager or in their twenties and promptly said "Hi, my name is D_____. Let's be friends." LOL:laughing: I'm with you on the fact thing too. I have to have all my facts straight when I write. Most of my stuff doesn't mention any particular time period, but if someone had to guess they'd probably go with some time between the twenties and the sixties.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm with you on the fact thing too. I have to have all my facts straight when I write. Most of my stuff doesn't mention any particular time period, but if someone had to guess they'd probably go with some time between the twenties and the sixties.
That's why I go with Sci-Fi/Fantasy--- allows me to build a world with my own rules and facts. Of course, I'm sure I'd get bashed by all the sci-fi-geeks if I omit or incorrectly state a scientific fact or theory--- but whatever, I can take that chance.

If I write about the modern world, it has to adhere to reality and its facts (which I hate being constricted by). My next book is going to be more of a modern-world backdrop, and I'm dreading this aspect of it-- but it's too good a story not to write.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why I go with Sci-Fi/Fantasy--- allows me to build a world with my own rules and facts. Of course, I'm sure I'd get bashed by all the sci-fi-geeks if I omit or incorrectly state a scientific fact or theory--- but whatever, I can take that chance.

If I write about the modern world, it has to adhere to reality and its facts (which I hate being constricted by). My next book is going to be more of a modern-world backdrop, and I'm dreading this aspect of it-- but it's too good a story not to write.
I write from conviction. While I do have some Science Fiction stories in my mind, the thing that keeps me from writing them is a firm grounding in science. I have to have all my facts straight and when I do I will write them, but for now they stay just ideas and drawings locked away in my mind and sketchbook.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(Raises hand and jumps up and down) Me Me Me! :dry:

Yeah, I'm an aspiring novelist. On my second book attempt. Wrote a shitty book many years ago, and after 165,000 words realized it sucked. Now I'm on a not-so-shitty book and am 146,000 words into it and will be finished in a few more months.

I hope to get it published in some form--- may opt to self-publish since getting published as a first-time writer is near impossible now'days, even if it is good.

Sci-fi/Fantasy is my genre of choice.
That is very exciting!:happy: I haven't written a full fledged novel. Most of my work is short in nature and pretty self contained. I do however have a few ideas for novels, but the bulk of research and planing that I must do for them is considerable. I have yet to get to the actual novel writing and instead spend most of my time working on the story lines and characters.

·
Registered
444 Posts

I'm so scared to write about Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but I'm going to do NaNoWriMo this year (again), and this year it's going to be a fantasy (but the fantasy geeks tell me it's sci-fi, but I don't agree).

The real world can change, depending on the person. I tend to avoid facts when I write, avoid mentioning places, and be really vague about everything except what is essential. I hate writing about things that serves no purpose to the story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I write from conviction. While I do have some Science Fiction stories in my mind, the thing that keeps me from writing them is a firm grounding in science. I have to have all my facts straight and when I do I will write them, but for now they stay just ideas and drawings locked away in my mind and sketchbook.
I've always had an interest in science, so writing sci-fi forces me to research the "fringe sciences"--- where it's mostly theory and little fact. I end up using this to explain elements of my story.

I can understand it being kind of daunting though--- but I think it also depends on your style. I tend to not make the "science" part of the story too much a part of the story--- instead, I focus on characters and conflict; science fiction is just the "backdrop", not necessarily a central part of the story; so I guess I can get away with it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm so scared to write about Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but I'm going to do NaNoWriMo this year (again), and this year it's going to be a fantasy (but the fantasy geeks tell me it's sci-fi, but I don't agree).

The real world can change, depending on the person. I tend to avoid facts when I write, avoid mentioning places, and be really vague about everything except what is essential. I hate writing about things that serves no purpose to the story.
I think part of being a writer is to discover your personal "style". I also don't like boring the reader with too many facts--- I prefer to write a colorful, visual introduction to what is going on and focus on the dialogue and action. This style suits me, and it helps keep things moving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think part of being a writer is to discover your personal "style". I also don't like boring the reader with too many facts--- I prefer to write a colorful, visual introduction to what is going on and focus on the dialogue and action. This style suits me, and it helps keep things moving.
I have to believe something could work before I write about it. Let's say I had a kind of star gate in my story, I need to know exactly how one might work, what it would look like, how it would effect time and space travel. I also use science to help carry ideological themes. If I am writing about a artificial creature that created an entire ecosystem to help sustain it, I need to know how it could do it and how that relates to us as humans. Whether or not I included these facts is not necessary. I need to have a foundation that I find believable in order to create rich worlds and deep characters. :happy:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to believe something could work before I write about it. Let's say I had a kind of star gate in my story, I need to know exactly how one might work, what it would look like, how it would effect time and space travel. I also use science to help carry ideological themes. If I am writing about a artificial creature that created an entire ecosystem to help sustain it, I need to know how it could do it and how that relates to us as humans. Whether or not I included these facts is not necessary. I need to have a foundation that I find believable in order to create rich worlds and deep characters. :happy:
That's pretty much what I do, you just explained it differently than me. :happy:

I just don't go about explaining how the "pieces all work" in the story, unless it's somehow relevant to the plot. I think some sci-fi writers in the past have done this (spilling out too many scientifice details) and it is has caused many readers to get turned off by the whole "sci fi" genre as a result.

It would be so much easier to get published if I could degrade myself enough to write romance novels--- a bonus if it has vampires and werewolves in it. Of course, for an INTJ to write romance... well... I can only imagine what that would sound like... :dry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be so much easier to get published if I could degrade myself enough to write romance novels--- a bonus if it has vampires and werewolves in it. Of course, for an INTJ to write romance... well... I can only imagine what that would sound like... :dry:
LOL I'm am pretty sure if an INTJ wrote romance it would be called "Romance Nior". :crazy: I wrote a few stories that I classified as just that. Poe, Kafka, Orwell and Shelly are some of my favorite authors, so I'm never surprised if my romance story that was suppose to be just a romance story turns out to be macabre and gloomy. Or as I like to say pessimistically optimistic. Haha

·
Registered
65 Posts
I write everyday. I've written 6 novels since I was 13 - happily unpublished. I don't think I'm anywhere near that stage yet.
I handwrite them as I have typed up my work and it disappeared about 3 times. My luck, huh.
So everything is handwritten, then typed, then edit, edit, edit.
All my pieces are aout 80,000 words long, which is rather heafty.
I like to write coming-of-age novels that are real; not from an adult perspective and this is the best time to get out all my
teenage thought processes down before my cognition changes.

I'd love to write fantasy, as that is my favourite genre to read, but I don't think I'll be able to do it justice like other authors.:unsure:
One day I'l try though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I write everyday. I've written 6 novels since I was 13 - happily unpublished. I don't think I'm anywhere near that stage yet.
I handwrite them as I have typed up my work and it disappeared about 3 times. My luck, huh.
So everything is handwritten, then typed, then edit, edit, edit.
All my pieces are aout 80,000 words long, which is rather heafty.
I like to write coming-of-age novels that a real not from an adult perspective and this is the best time to get out all my
teenage thought processes down before my cognition changes.

I'd love to write fantasy, as that is my favourite genre to read, but I don't think I'll be able to do it justice like other authors.:unsure:
One day I'l try though.
Six novels, and I have not written a single one. :sad: <- There is shame hidden in that sad face. I hate hand writing a story. I draw somewhat and I'm proficient at it, but my handwriting is horrid. I can not even read it most of the time. My Macbook makes my stories ever so much more legible and easier to keep track of. I keep multiple copies so nothing "disappears". Fantasy is not really my forte in any regards(there are a select few authors I will read in that genre though).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Six novels, and I have not written a single one. :sad: <- There is shame hidden in that sad face. I hate hand writing a story. I draw somewhat and I'm proficient at it, but my handwriting is horrid. I can not even read it most of the time. My Macbook makes my stories ever so much more legible and easier to keep track of. I keep multiple copies so nothing "disappears". Fantasy is not really my forte in any regards(there are a select few authors I will read in that genre though).
Oh trust me when I say that there is little fun in watching my hand cry at the agony of trying to write. :crying: There are days when I can't write because I took things to the extreme the day before; literally writing all day.

What are your stories generally about?

Fantasy is only something I have just started liking. I was really interested in Vampires (pre-Twilight Mania grrr:angry:) and having read many fantasy novels I took to it easily. However, I often alternate between modern realism novels talking about daily life and the relationships we form with those around us and fantasy. Sometimes all the slaying can detach me from real life ultimately affecting the realism of my own work. Apparently reading inspires writing.

One day I would like to be able to write a short story. It's not as easy as it seems and waffling is side effect I often fight.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I've been writing short stories, trying to get them published now. Mostly fantasy, some scifi. I've never been that interested in realistic fiction. I'm majoring in English now, hoping to refine my skills.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts