Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to see a collection of explanations considering what an INTJ's thought process looks like.

For example, I often develop ideas from the bottom up. I get an overall view of a concept that acts as a base. From there I begin, in my head, to develop some sort of expository monologue on the connections. . "This happens and that happens; therefore, when this AND that happens the effect is such..." As connections are "explained" I begin to ask myself questions, filling in missing links. At which point it is almost a dialogue; I state the idea in my head then almost rebut against myself.

I believe my Te comes up by developing the dialogue. My thinking works faster as an expression. When I am around people, the dialogue sometimes end up being with them, not myself. Even in those conversations I often say something and before the other person responds, ask a question about what I just stated. Either person may answer the question.

Is this just me? How do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I'd like to see a collection of explanations considering what an INTJ's thought process looks like.

For example, I often develop ideas from bottom up. I start with a few basic principles that I have made some connection with. From there I begin, in my head, to develop some sort of expository monologue on the connections. Through explaining more connections begin to develop. "This happens and that happens; therefore, when this AND that happens the effect is such..." As more connections develop I begin to ask myself questions, filling in missing links. At which point it is almost a dialogue; I state the idea in my head then almost rebut against myself.

The connections are always just something, I think, Ni does. I believe my Te comes up by developing the dialogue. My thinking works faster as a conversation, as opposed to just pure thought. If I was around people, the dialogue would be with them, not myself. Even in those conversations I often say something and before the other person responds, ask a question about what I just stated. Either person may answer the question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean you're using Ne? I've seen that Ne users often say they make several connections while they talk.

About my thought process though...it really depends. I prefer to think undisturbed. When I have to analyze something I look at every bit of data and then get to piecing all of it together to understand the whole thing. I also prefer to talk after thinking.

I think best when I'm calm and am not running on just a few hours of sleep. (which means I'm almost never at my best)

Sometimes, while analyzing things which are boring, tiring or stressful, my thought process is painfully slow and I have to talk to myself to hear my ideas and clear my head.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts

For example, I often develop ideas from bottom up. I start with a few basic principles that I have made some connection with. From there I begin, in my head, to develop some sort of expository monologue on the connections. Through explaining more connections begin to develop. "This happens and that happens; therefore, when this AND that happens the effect is such..." As more connections develop I begin to ask myself questions, filling in missing links. At which point it is almost a dialogue; I state the idea in my head then almost rebut against myself.

The connections are always just something, I think, Ni does. I believe my Te comes up by developing the dialogue. My thinking works faster as a conversation, as opposed to just pure thought. If I was around people, the dialogue would be with them, not myself. Even in those conversations I often say something and before the other person responds, ask a question about what I just stated. Either person may answer the question.

That's Extroversion. Pretty much the most basic description of Extroversion.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean you're using Ne? I've seen that Ne users often say they make several connections while they talk.

About my thought process though...it really depends. I prefer to think undisturbed. When I have to analyze something I look at every bit of data and then get to piecing all of it together to understand the whole thing. I also prefer to talk after thinking.
It's not Ne because I am looking at every bit of data. I'm piecing everything together, it doesn't come from nowhere.I think Ne would just get an idea and then begin to understand it (or just move on without explaining it). I don't leap from idea to idea, I develop one idea. You may be confused because I didn't talk about the beginning of my process. The thinking out loud is a Te thing because the more I think, the more I talk. An introverted thinker gets quieter as they talk. I've been told you can "get me going." The majority of my ideas come from me just thinking on my own and then explaining it. As for answering the questions as I talk, that just means I'm thinking faster than the other person. That generally happens with me and some ENTJs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's Extroversion. Pretty much the most basic description of Extroversion.
Ok you're right on this haha but I should explain myself more. My thought process works better as a conversation in my head. The conversations generally happen after I think it out, but I may have missed something (not often). I'm realizing I shouldn't have written this thread right before I went to bed haha.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's not Ne because I am looking at every bit of data. I'm piecing everything together, it doesn't come from nowhere.I think Ne would just get an idea and then begin to understand it (or just move on without explaining it). I don't leap from idea to idea, I develop one idea. You may be confused because I didn't talk about the beginning of my process. The thinking out loud is a Te thing because the more I think, the more I talk. An introverted thinker gets quieter as they talk. I've been told you can "get me going." The majority of my ideas come from me just thinking on my own and then explaining it. As for answering the questions as I talk, that just means I'm thinking faster than the other person. That generally happens with me and some ENTJs
Perhaps. The OP didn't explain that first part.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I would describe my thought process as almost the polar opposite - I don't get a few random things and put something together out of it - that's what all my sensor based coworkers do. Typically, I have an overarching idea, a general thought, or need the overall picture before I can start to plug in all the various details. I have to start with the overall idea, then begin working on specifics. Tossing a couple of specifics with no reference as to why they are there is only going to leave me confused, or I'll just store those specifics away until I have an overall picture to work with.

I almost never solve a problem by having a conversation - and often find that conversing with other people only makes things worse. I can take feedback from other people, but my responses are going to be limited to some sort of acknowledgement that they spoke, because my mind is busy taking their feedback and plugging it into the bigger process going on in my head. About the only time I have a conversation with myself is when I'm bored and need some means of entertaining my mind before it explodes.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
When given information, Ni will look to generalize/reduce/categorize as to reveal its essence. e.g. if you tell me that 10 fossils are found in cave some 50,000 years ago, my first question I may ask myself is... what does this say about prehistoric human migratory patterns? With that in mind, I'll start inquiring about genetic distance of the fossils -> intrabreeding within the tribe -> size of tribe -> frequency of contact with other tribes -> sparsity/density amongst tribes -> cause of sparsity -> weather/geography/game ...

However, the above assumes that I have some concept/model of human migratory patterns a priori. The initial question/framework may be completely different... e.g. The same initial question could of been... what does it say about genetic diversity? What does it say about early social dynamics as a precursor to agriculture? What does this say about historical materialism?

And since the initial questions are loose, all subsequent knowledge I glean from the dialogue are valid interpretations of these model shifts.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I start with a vision, break it down into large chunks and then break those down into smaller chunks until all the specifics are filled in to an extent.

If I do not have a notepad to write/draw on or a spreadsheet to plan things out then I will have a conversation with myself where I work out what could go wrong in my plan and how to account for such occurrences.

Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Ok you're right on this haha but I should explain myself more. My thought process works better as a conversation in my head. The conversations generally happen after I think it out, but I may have missed something (not often). I'm realizing I shouldn't have written this thread right before I went to bed haha.
You´re describing a thought process, but still it's very different from my own thought processes. I don't think much in dialog, at least not when trying to understand something. When trying to understand something I just let it happen. When trying to figure out something, I just search for and let information enter my brain, more and more until I figured it out. No words involved in this process. When it's something that can't be figured out in a short time, meaning I have to interrupt the process and do other things, then when ever I have a moment of rest, the issue pops back up in my mind and eventually the logic starts to appear.

There's very little thinking in words going on in my mind, except for when I'm thinking about some future events, but then those are very specific situations.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You´re describing a thought process, but still it's very different from my own thought processes. I don't think much in dialog, at least not when trying to understand something. When trying to understand something I just let it happen. When trying to figure out something, I just search for and let information enter my brain, more and more until I figured it out. No words involved in this process. When it's something that can't be figured out in a short time, meaning I have to interrupt the process and do other things, then when ever I have a moment of rest, the issue pops back up in my mind and eventually the logic starts to appear.

There's very little thinking in words going on in my mind, except for when I'm thinking about some future events, but then those are very specific situations.
I'm not talking about trying to understand a subject. I'm past that in this process. I'm talking about developing an idea. This is about building upon an understood subject to create a complex system. This is also how I approach a problem in my personal life, such as deciding the best course of action when dealing with a lady friend.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I probably should read the OP again before posting, but I don't think people should be so quick to say that's Ne. Te often leads you to update your thoughts as you're saying them, especially if you're explaining something to someone and want to try answer possible questions before they are asked. I suppose the part that sounds less INTJ is the idea that you would come to some sort of new understanding while talking your ideas through. Normally that would be established before you feel the need to talk. But then if I'm writing an essay, my idea only become linear after looking at them all and rearranging them, so maybe @britishcoal is describing something similar.

As for the dialogue? It's not as though all INTJs experience thoughts in the same way, some are visual, others impressionistic, others verbal. See : http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/74031-do-you-think-pictures-words.html

·
Banned
3,025 Posts

For example, I often develop ideas from the bottom up. I get an overall view of a concept that acts as a base. From there I begin, in my head, to develop some sort of expository monologue on the connections. . "This happens and that happens; therefore, when this AND that happens the effect is such..." As connections are "explained" I begin to ask myself questions, filling in missing links. At which point it is almost a dialogue; I state the idea in my head then almost rebut against myself.

I believe my Te comes up by developing the dialogue. My thinking works faster as an expression. When I am around people, the dialogue sometimes end up being with them, not myself. Even in those conversations I often say something and before the other person responds, ask a question about what I just stated. Either person may answer the question.

Sounds like Ne+Ti to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But then if I'm writing an essay, my idea only become linear after looking at them all and rearranging them, so maybe @britishcoal is describing something similar.

As for the dialogue? It's not as though all INTJs experience thoughts in the same way, some are visual, others impressionistic, others verbal. See : http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/74031-do-you-think-pictures-words.html
This is exactly what I'm saying. I have a complete understanding of the idea. The idea just becomes more linear as I'm explaining it to myself. This process is how I rearrange the idea. I have a few posts in here that explain more that may be getting lost.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I very much think in words. I always have dialogue going on in my head, if it's *not* about something I'm dealing with right at this second, it's something I've dealt with in the past or think I will deal with in the future.
I very rarely see pictures in my head unless I'm focusing (or thinking about nature :] )
Any time I'm confronted with an issue or problem I think of options. More and more options. There is always another option in my head.

I don't have any clue how to explain how I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts