Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shocked at how much other people remember about the contents of my brain, statements I made years ago, preferences about things. Even when I haven't spoken to someone for years, they recount specific things I've said.

It has a few effects. I know that someone values my thoughts, and that they were of some use and original enough to remember. Though I also feel a bit uncomfortable that someone remembers years of my brain, when I hardly remember any of theirs.

Do you people remember and sometimes think about things you've said for years to come?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm shocked at how much other people remember about the contents of my brain, statements I made years ago, preferences about things. Even when I haven't spoken to someone for years, they recount specific things I've said.

It has a few effects. I know that someone values my thoughts, and that they were of some use and original enough to remember. Though I also feel a bit uncomfortable that someone remembers years of my brain, when I hardly remember any of theirs.

Do you people remember and sometimes think about things you've said for years to come?
I don't even remember where I was earlier today without pausing for 10 seconds. But I remember some key things, mostly one moment involving a long debate, the first time the logic of my worldview was able to be expressed clearly to my family, and none of them could refute it. Oh happy day.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Some times I remember stuff people have said. In 2004 I remember being in school & a girl was talking about how cool Micheal Phelps was(she's a swimmer). I really only remember random bits of information, but it seems like other people have recorders for brains or something & tell me exactly what I said word for word. Some times I can remember other stuff if I think really hard(like when a friends was saying she wasn't exaggeration when she was)...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
This happens to me all the time. Somebody mentions, for example, the time I threw an apple at a person on stilts, or, the time when I chuckled like a baboon. Most of my memories are a blur to me. I barely remember what I ate this morning. Maybe I have a bad memory or maybe people are telling me I did something that I didn't do to load my brain with false memories. And then there was that one stalker who knew a little too much about my memories. "Remember the time I tied you up?" He was a scary guy. But there are memories, especially long term ones, which are crystal clear. I can pick up on the scent of the day (smelled like hot dogs), the breeze (it felt like hot dogs slapping my skin), and the colors of the fibers of hair in the nostrils of the passersby. What I have been doing to combat my poor memory is recording more footage of what I do. Then when I go back and look at those videos, I'm like, "oh, I totally forgot that I fell into that alligator pit." My memory is selective, it seems; not necessarily by my own will either. As a kid, I remembered more, but then, I seemed to torture myself over details (especially of errors) too much.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I would only remember something I said if it was some type of revelation I had during one of my random monologues. Other than that, the memories fade, or are never really formed.

I can remember small details from people though, such as random bits of information that they give out during a conversation. Sometimes I can remember the actual conversations, but not word for word. I don't know why my mind chooses to remember such things.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've found that we INTPs tend to have good memory but only for the things we notice. I remember a lot of very specific moments from grade school, for example, that many of my friends don't recall at all, but I have only vague impressions of what it was actually like. In addition, I am oblivious to a lot of things and have a very hard time absorbing the physical world around me. Makes driving and navigation very tiresome.

It essentially comes down to having tertiary Si. It's weaker, but it still tends towards good memory for those things we did notice. Se types will likely be different.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
A lot, recently.

Even things l say online. Some of it's not that personal and some of it is. Not always from people who show me that they like me in anyway. Maybe they just have great memories.

But l don't have that kind of memory unless it's with someone who really stands out to me. My long term memory in general is pretty much shit. l didn't really think it was until l started having conversations with different people l'd known years ago and all of them remembered way more than l did.

There's something called bioautographical memory, and that is what l do not have lol. l've always had a better memory for technical things.

IDK. l don't really feel special when the people l don't even like that much remember specific things about me for two years. lf anything it's sort of creepy but l have been sad when l don't remember things from the past that happened with people l do like.

Reactions: Ista

·
Banned
733 Posts
I find ISTJs are particularly good at this. It's quite unnerving (it's probably the dominant Si). My ISTJ friend remembers practically everything I've done and said to him in the last 5 years whereas I can't even remember my own analyses after I conclude a result with most probability within a train of thought. I have to write them down or they're gone unless someone else remembers.

That said, someone above mentioned tertiary Si remembering only things we notice. That's true; I have very specific memories of my childhood that are entirely insignificant to others (but somehow stand out to me). Most of the time though, my memory is just a very general, blurry impression. I'm much better at remembering things if they're important to a theory/system I'm forming in my head, so bits of odd trivia, musings and such.

·
Banned
76 Posts
I don't really remember un-important things. If somebody says something that I take to heart, then I'll remember it. But that doesn't happen too often.

Most of the time I live in my mind, usually I'm only semi-listening to a given conversation, even when it's only me and one other person. I make more sense of living in my mind than having other peoples opinions thrust upon me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I never forget things but i try my best to act like i forgot them because people act weird and think your obsessed with them or the subject when you remember small shit, even small as remembering their name years later etc..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
we have blurred memory and no recollection of specific details cuz we move on instantly! it's that simple^^

i also think iNtuitive people have a kind of "translator" of everything going on in life. it gets stored on the hard-drive in that translated way so sometimes we try to access information but are unable to because the key words more abstract than we consciously realize.

i remember certain details when seeing a picture that has seemingly NOTHING to do with it, but apparently the memory storage operates in highly mysterious ways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a friend at school who used to drive me crazy by bringing up something I'd apparently said months beforehand that I had NO memory of whatsoever (unsurprisingly she went on to study law - nitpicky arguing type that she is). If something doesn't register as relevant I just don't retain it. These days I remember things freakishly well though, but still on the same principle (ie relevance to a bigger picture) - if I ask one of my team at work to do something and they say they'll do it, I remember exactly what I asked them to do because I need them to do it as part of a bigger plan.

·
Registered
393 Posts
As many other people have already said, I have a highly selective, extremely quirky memory that focuses well on retaining, well, facts concerning things I'm interested in. Most of my long-term memories are a blur, and if you asked me to recall what I ate or did yesterday I would have to think about it. I'm not good at remembering names, faces, or telephone numbers, and I am always rather shocked when other people, for example someone I shared a class with in college but had never spoken to, recognize me, since I am almost certain to not recognize them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts