Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So! I'm wondering... how does your home--be it house, apartment, bedroom, hotel room, forest, cupboard, couch, computer, or cardboard box--show your personality? What are the giveaways to your fundamental INTP-ness? If someone entered when you were away, would they be able to accurately guess your personality?

·
Registered
429 Posts
My room is always messy (until the junk gets in my way, and then I clean it in an anxious fit of OCD).

There's drawers full of STUFF EVERYWHERE. I don't even know half of what's in there. (maybe even 3/4 of what's in there). But it doesn't bother me. I know where I throw stuff. My grandmother comes over and she just cleans my room because it's so messy (I am sure she's a J) and it's so irritating because now I don't know where my stuff is ><;

I have books everywhere, most not even on the shelves (lol), all over my dressers, my bed, the floor XD most I haven't even read, but do I feel bad about that?

...kinda

Reactions: feefafo

·
Registered
81 Posts
My room is always messy (until the junk gets in my way, and then I clean it in an anxious fit of OCD).

I have books everywhere, most not even on the shelves (lol), all over my dressers, my bed, the floor XD most I haven't even read, but do I feel bad about that?

...kinda

Yes. My room always gets messy, and then one day, I'll go crazy and clean it till it's spotless, but then it's always messy again a few weeks later.

I also have a lot of books that I haven't read. I'll buy them thinking "Oh, this looks interesting." And I'm still glad that I bought them, just in case I ever want to read them...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My room is clean, and my bed's always half-made. My desk is semi-organized (geometrically). My drawers are a mess because I shove everything I find or anything remotely important inside. My closet is relatively organized. My corkboard is cluttered.
I also have a wall of accumulated index-card art right by my desk.

In short, my mind is chaos but this is not always externalized in my surroundings. Disarray in my thought-space, orderliness in my workspace.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
If it were up to me, the floors would always be covered in stuff that happened to be left there until either A) I needed to use them or B) things start getting in the way.

In the case of the former, I can always pick out things if they're "hidden" in a mess. I can't find anything when things are clean. Not a damned thing. :confused:

As for the latter, if things start getting in the way, I won't 'clean' so much as 'throw shit in the closets/under the beds/in the corners'...

A lot of people like cleanliness... I prefer things messy. In my mind, there's no such thing as a mess. There's just organized chaos. :happy:

·
Registered
815 Posts
My room is very simple. No posters on the wall, very subdued colors, piles of books everywhere, computer hardware lying around, clothing piles on my sofa, etc.

Since I tend to hoard certain items I need to do monthly "purges" in which I ruthlessly toss all sorts of items. I think that that is the only reason why my floors are rather clear of junk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, if someone were to walk into my room, they'd probably be able to guess my personality, to some extent.

My room is not simple at all. It has a lot of off beat colors and tons of pictures... of trees.... on my wall along with pictures I took myself and other things, like an old day-glow orange ny license plate. There are also some random posters of artwork. As far as furniture, I have the usual: desk, bed, lamp, dresser and bookcase.

Usually, it's messy. There are stacks of unread books (I swear i'll read) and papers on my dresser and floor, cds stacked on top of my favorite radio, and clothing on my desk and chair. It bothers my mother that I can be perfectly contempt sitting in the middle of it all, on my (always) unmade bed, typing away on the computer while listening to music. After a while i'll clean it up, but that only happens for months at a time. It usually reverts back to its previous condition after a week or two.

Every drawer is filled with various nicknacks and notebooks and such. I know where everything is of course. I tend to find random or strange things I like, so I sometimes put them in my drawers, or on my corkboard, which has way too many things on it. It has all types of pictures, tickets, keychains, small souvenirs, pretty bracelets/necklaces, old comic strips, whatever I think is cool or interesting. It's become quite cluttered over time.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Okay...CDs and DVDs in alphabetical order, games sorted by frequency of use, wardrobe organized...pile of clothes on the chair, empty yoghurt pots, dead wasp...

My workspace works for me. As long as I know where things (well, the things that I need) are then it's okay if it's a 'mess'. My mum keeps bugging me to tidy it, but it's not like she lives in it. I don't get why she cares!

Of course, I do have those fits where it MUST BE NEAT AND TIDY. I have to tidy up today, and it is about time - the plastic packaging on the floor is cutting into my feet when I try to get in/out of my chair.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, I'm seeing a trend: collections of interesting goodies.
I'm definitely guilty of this. Well. I'd rather not call it guilt, since I don't necessarily see anything wrong with collecting.
I like to be neat and tidy--it brings me peace of mind. But I don't want to put the goodies away, in case I forget about them. Books I'm reading or planning to read, new shoes I'm proud of, fancy pencils, drawings, photos, letters to reread someday. It's these things that give me the appearance of untidiness. My drawers are actually quite organized (until I get lazy and start shoving random junk into them, but I stop myself and re-organize soon enough).
So yes, I'd say someone would be able to tell I'm an INTP by looking around my room. The nostalgic items probably give it away, as do all the half-read books everywhere. My bedroom is clearly a very lived-in place, and that, too, might give hints as to my nature.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Aside from my magpie/packrat tendencies concerning bookshelves, my room would be quite bare. I prefer to sequester the proof of my existence in a residence in one small area, be it in cyberspace, or in physical reality.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Like a few here I've read, my room is messy most of the time despite my cleaning it it seems to get magically messy in the next few days following my cleaning frenzy. My drawers are packed with papers of things I need and things I don't, clothes are usually stuffed into drawers unless I'm tidying up. I don't have too many books. I tend to read a full book before I take on another. The book I'm on has taken me years to read. Literally! :crazy:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Haha, I'm seeing a trend: collections of interesting goodies.
Hm, I didn't even think about this, but now that I do...

I have a collection of the ticket stubs from every movie I've seen or event I've been to for the past few years. I have pens and pencils (that DON'T WORK, mind you XD) all in my drawers, which makes it kinda hard to find a writing implement when you need one... I have random folded up pieces of paper hidden in weird places that contain information that was important to me at one point. I have lots of pretty things: jewellery, necklaces, bracelets, brooches, hairpins, beads, anything shiny (I like shiny). There's also a bunch of used-up Border's gift certificates hiding in my room somewhere :laughing:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes. My room always gets messy, and then one day, I'll go crazy and clean it till it's spotless, but then it's always messy again a few weeks later.

I also have a lot of books that I haven't read. I'll buy them thinking "Oh, this looks interesting." And I'm still glad that I bought them, just in case I ever want to read them...
Exactly the same, except when a book gets brought home I can hardly wait to read it.

Methinks though that when I get my Kindle, I will end up with about 100 books on it that I'll never read.:unsure:

·
Registered
911 Posts
When my freedom of movement becomes severely obstructed, it's usually time to move the offending stuff into another corner.
I guess they could be able to guess it - I have no teddy bears, hearts or "OMG SOOO CUTE" stuff in my room. That's a T sign.
It's a mess, so there's the P.
They could guess N by some cool novelty gadgets I have, and they could tell I'm an I by my selection of mostly cold and soft colours. Nothing bright.

Reactions: AkiKaza and feefafo

·
Banned
369 Posts
Absolute and total slob. Car, house, garage and any other space I may occupy.

·
Banned
644 Posts
There are multiple unfinished projects laying around my residence. I was replacing a revolving cupboard. It was 99% complete: all I had to do was screw the shelf to the revolving post. For some reason, I stopped at the simplest step over a month ago. I don't if it's just me or a personality facet but I stop at simple steps sometimes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My apartment is always an absolute mess, and it doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, there are some parts of the mess I wouldn't want anyone to touch, because I know where a lot of things are by which disorganized pile they're in.

And this probably is quite characteristic of INTP's. We don't have E or F to make us do things other people's way, we don't have S to have a more conventional view ourselves of our messiness, nor do we have J to organize us (nor to cause an extroverted judging process to be high on our list, which would demand more order). We're probably the messiest type.

I do care about cleanliness, just not about neatness.

Reactions: pro at filing

·
Registered
92 Posts
My room is extremely small and covered with books, CD's, and trash. My closet is full of clothes that I rarely put on and it is over packed so I often just pile my clothes up on my computer chair (the only chair in my room). There are two computers and I keep things that I use daily under the desk (which is next to my bed). People don't understand how I live in this "mess", but I believe that it's a question of comfort and convenience vs. presentation and self-consciousness. I pile clothes on my chair because then I won't have to dig around my tiny closet. I pile useful things under my desk so that I won't ever have to look for them (until I clean my room, that is).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts