Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from: Parenting Skill-the ISFP Child and Parenting Skill with Myers Briggs!

If your child is ISFP, Introverted with Sensing, Feeling and Perceiving, parenting skill can be improved by understanding that these ISFP young ones are typically loving, cuddly, sweet and easygoing. And we will get into that in just a moment.
Firstly understand that this page is devoted to helping you as a loving parent or guardian better understand how to use your instinctive nature to improve your parenting skill by nurturing your child.
Your nature and your child’s nature is your personality type and your child’s type as discovered through the Myers Briggs Test. You may or may not be ISFP; but, if your child is ISFP than this page can guide you in developing outstanding parenting skill as you raise and interact with your ISFP child.
You’ll be introduced to several key personality characteristics of the ISFP child and you’ll be given some suggestions as to things to do that will improve parenting skill and help nurture you ISFP child all through life.
We’ll assume that you know your personality type and that your child is ISFP…here we go!!
Some Characteristics of the ISFP Child-Some Behaviors to Look For

• ISFP young ones will love to be held, snuggled, cuddled, all the things you want to do Mom and Dad!
  • The ISFP baby really is a “cherub” smiling a lot early on
  • The ISFP will like some alone time but will happily play with anyone who wants to most of the time
  • These young ones will touch a lot; these are especially the ones that may bond with a “blanky”, a “binky” (whatever that may be)…very “sensory” children
  • This “type” child will cry more than some others…especially if yelled at, responding to loud noises, if they think they are being criticized
  • The ISFP child wants things to be soft, quiet, harmonious, friendly
  • ISFPs are likely to play with kids smaller than themselves for security motivators
  • ISFPs usually like music, painting, drawing, clay, etc….creative ones loving “sensory” pleasures…including bodily sensory pleasures…they will explore quicker than others
  • The ISFP child is easy-going, flexible, compliant most of the time but will shy away from anger, bullying, yelling, etc.
  • This child also need alone time
  • The ISFP is the epitome of putting everything in the mouth…oh brother they love it….again sensory
  • The ISFP may suck their thumbs…need a bottle for longer periods of time….just for sensory satisfaction and security than other types
  • ISFPs will usually share their feeling, getting hurt easily, wanting friend, etc.
  • ISFPs can excel athletically due to their sensing…but they really like the “group” team thing…want and need others….selectively
  • ISFPs love animals and have a kinship with them of sorts
  • For the adolescent ISFP school is fun…that may be about it….they may underachieve academically due to this
  • The ISFP adolescent will learn better with a teacher they’ve bonded with in a more one-on-one environment
  • They can be wonderful story tellers…natural grasp of the detailed and are dominantly “feeling” and emotional
  • In High School the ISFP may have difficulty declaring independence…they bond with parents, siblings strongly
  • The adolescent ISFP may struggle with long range planning, college, career, etc more than some others
  • ISFPs have natural difficulty following/remembering rules, regulations, etc.
Regardless of Your Type Mom and Dad-Here Are Some Things You Can Do to Nurture the ISFP Child and Improve Parenting Skill

• Allow them to be creative early on…art, crayons, etc.
  • Everything is “hands-on” with the ISFP, create situations where they can safely do that
  • Hold them a lot, snuggle them a lot, carry them more than putting them in a stroller!!
  • Speak in “low tones”, softly, gently to your ISFP little one
  • Be very specific in the instructions you give to them…they are sensors after all
  • Be supportive of their feelings let them express themselves as they will
  • The ISFP will have their favorite “things”…allow them to do this
  • Talk about feelings, allow them to express themselves safely with what they are feeling
  • The ISFP will tend to take thing personally…try to talk about the fact you did not mean it personally
  • As they become more self-confident create a safe atmosphere so they build in self-confidence
  • Talk to them in terms of people, feelings more than things and events
In conclusion Mom or Dad, if you are ISF than most of the above seemed pretty natural; but, if you are not a Sensing Feeler (SF) maybe the above can better aid you as you develop you parenting skill. There are a lot of ISFP kids and people out there as the ISFP type makes up somewhere between 5-7% of everybody!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Some of it was just like me as a child, but not all. I hardly ever cry as a baby in my crib. I as never aloud to suck my thumb. I don't think I had a blanky.

Otherwise the rest seems accuarate, from what I experienced or been told.

I remember in kindergarten, I loved playing with playdoe, and building things with it.

I am not a parent, yet, but I have been involved with children before. I find this parental skill very easy for me to follow.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I used to and still kind of bond to things...

Currently having trouble planning my future :unsure:

·
Registered
50 Posts
This “type” child will cry more than some others…especially if yelled at, responding to loud noises, if they think they are being criticized
I almost broke my finger when I was a kid, but I never cry from the pain. But this....... damn, I never get over it, even though I'm now 20 years old.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If your child is ISFP, Introverted with Sensing, Feeling and Perceiving, parenting skill can be improved by understanding that these ISFP young ones are typically loving, cuddly, sweet and easygoing. And we will get into that in just a moment. Firstly understand that this page is devoted to helping you as a loving parent or guardian better understand how to use your instinctive nature to improve your parenting skill by nurturing your child.
Your nature and your child’s nature is your personality type and your child’s type as discovered through the Myers Briggs Test. You may or may not be ISFP; but, if your child is ISFP than this page can guide you in developing outstanding parenting skill as you raise and interact with your ISFP child.
You’ll be introduced to several key personality characteristics of the ISFP child and you’ll be given some suggestions as to things to do that will improve parenting skill and help nurture you ISFP child all through life.
We’ll assume that you know your personality type and that your child is ISFP…here we go!!
Some Characteristics of the ISFP Child-Some Behaviors to Look For

ISFP young ones will love to be held, snuggled, cuddled, all the things you want to do Mom and Dad!
The ISFP baby really is a “cherub” smiling a lot early on
The ISFP will like some alone time but will happily play with anyone who wants to most of the time
These young ones will touch a lot; these are especially the ones that may bond with a “blanky”, a “binky” (whatever that may be)…very “sensory” children
This “type” child will cry more than some others…especially if yelled at, responding to loud noises, if they think they are being criticized
The ISFP child wants things to be soft, quiet, harmonious, friendly
ISFPs are likely to play with kids smaller than themselves for security motivators
ISFPs usually like music, painting, drawing, clay, etc….creative ones loving “sensory” pleasures…including bodily sensory pleasures…they will explore quicker than others
The ISFP child is easy-going, flexible, compliant most of the time but will shy away from anger, bullying, yelling, etc.
This child also need alone time
The ISFP is the epitome of putting everything in the mouth…oh brother they love it….again sensory
The ISFP may suck their thumbs…need a bottle for longer periods of time….just for sensory satisfaction and security than other types
ISFPs will usually share their feeling, getting hurt easily, wanting friend, etc.
ISFPs can excel athletically due to their sensing…but they really like the “group” team thing…want and need others….selectively
ISFPs love animals and have a kinship with them of sorts
For the adolescent ISFP school is fun…that may be about it….they may underachieve academically due to this
The ISFP adolescent will learn better with a teacher they’ve bonded with in a more one-on-one environment
They can be wonderful story tellers…natural grasp of the detailed and are dominantly “feeling” and emotional
In High School the ISFP may have difficulty declaring independence…they bond with parents, siblings strongly
The adolescent ISFP may struggle with long range planning, college, career, etc more than some others
ISFPs have natural difficulty following/remembering rules, regulations, etc.
Regardless of Your Type Mom and Dad-Here Are Some Things You Can Do to Nurture the ISFP Child and Improve Parenting Skill

Allow them to be creative early on…art, crayons, etc.
Everything is “hands-on” with the ISFP, create situations where they can safely do that
Hold them a lot, snuggle them a lot, carry them more than putting them in a stroller!!
Speak in “low tones”, softly, gently to your ISFP little one
Be very specific in the instructions you give to them…they are sensors after all
Be supportive of their feelings let them express themselves as they will
The ISFP will have their favorite “things”…allow them to do this
Talk about feelings, allow them to express themselves safely with what they are feeling
The ISFP will tend to take thing personally…try to talk about the fact you did not mean it personally
As they become more self-confident create a safe atmosphere so they build in self-confidence

Talk to them in terms of people, feelings more than things and events
In conclusion Mom or Dad, if you are ISF than most of the above seemed pretty natural; but, if you are not a Sensing Feeler (SF) maybe the above can better aid you as you develop you parenting skill. There are a lot of ISFP kids and people out there as the ISFP type makes up somewhere between 5-7% of everybody!

Wow,this is amazing...:happy:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Almost everything you said applied to me! For almost each and everyone, I kept flashing back to a memory I had during my childhood. The only one that I doesn't quite fit me is the one with bonding with parents. Maybe because my family is so crazy... haha. A lot of times, I find myself really wanting to move out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Almost everything you said applied to me! For almost each and everyone, I kept flashing back to a memory I had during my childhood. The only one that I doesn't quite fit me is the one with bonding with parents. Maybe because my family is so crazy... haha. A lot of times, I find myself really wanting to move out.
Crazy family? Tell me more about it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Lol!!!
These young ones will touch a lot; these are especially the ones that may bond with a “blanky”, a “binky” (whatever that may be)…very “sensory” children
I still have my old Teddy Bear. It's 18 years old now, and I still love it! I collect lots other plush toys, but I prefer my old Teddy over every other ones.

In High School the ISFP may have difficulty declaring independence…they bond with parents, siblings strongly
I don't think I can be separated from my mother. I hate her from time to time, but she's the first person that I want to be with.

ISFPs love animals and have a kinship with them of sorts
I used to chase kittens and puppies in my old house haha! I just wanna cuddle them.

The adolescent ISFP may struggle with long range planning, college, career, etc more than some others
My mother picked my major for me...

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
  • ISFP young ones will love to be held, snuggled, cuddled, all the things you want to do Mom and Dad!
  • The ISFP will like some alone time but will happily play with anyone who wants to most of the time
  • These young ones will touch a lot; these are especially the ones that may bond with a “blanky”, a “binky” (whatever that may be)…very “sensory” children
  • This “type” child will cry more than some others…especially if yelled at, responding to loud noises, if they think they are being criticized
  • ISFPs are likely to play with kids smaller than themselves for security motivators
  • ISFPs usually like music, painting, drawing, clay, etc….creative ones loving “sensory” pleasures…including bodily sensory pleasures…they will explore quicker than others
  • The ISFP child is easy-going, flexible, compliant most of the time but will shy away from anger, bullying, yelling, etc.
  • The ISFP is the epitome of putting everything in the mouth…oh brother they love it….again sensory
  • The ISFP may suck their thumbs…need a bottle for longer periods of time….just for sensory satisfaction and security than other types
  • ISFPs will usually share their feeling, getting hurt easily, wanting friend, etc.
  • ISFPs can excel athletically due to their sensing…but they really like the “group” team thing…want and need others….selectively
  • For the adolescent ISFP school is fun…that may be about it….they may underachieve academically due to this
  • The ISFP adolescent will learn better with a teacher they’ve bonded with in a more one-on-one environment
  • They can be wonderful story tellers…natural grasp of the detailed and are dominantly “feeling” and emotional
  • In High School the ISFP may have difficulty declaring independence…they bond with parents, siblings strongly
  • The adolescent ISFP may struggle with long range planning, college, career, etc more than some others
bolded text is very true for me

I also looked at the INFP page and I identified with a LOT of it as well. Bolded is what I really identify with:
  • These little ones are sensitive, quiet, gentle and cuddly
  • The INFP will likely cling to parents and watch others from that safety zone
  • They may be slow to warm up to others…appearing aloof, distant
  • They can be so sensitive that anything can hurt their feelings
  • The INFP child may be seen to suffer in silence so to speak
  • The school aged INFP will most likely love reading…they get lost in a story
  • They may also be drawn to art, music, theatre at early ages
  • At elementary years they can become moody, negative when hurt or feeling unloved
  • They will become quickly bored with routine…a lifelong trait
  • Very private and internally looking children
  • In adolescence the INFP wrestles with emotion…they are feeling their deep reactions to relationships, friends, family…everything
  • They may become torn between family and friends as teenagers
  • The INFP takes just about everything personally, this can hurt so they may not tell anyone about it
  • INFPs may expend great effort in finding where they belong in the world
omfg i seem to identify more with INFP than ISFP...! what's happening!?? but then again the list isn't nearly as long :p

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, I wasn't like this at all. Now I'm pretty sure my personality type changed during puberty since I didn't embody most of these traits until adolescence. (I think I might have been a ExFP o_O )

Did anyone else used to be another personality type?? :0

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to be an ISTP until the end of High School, once I got away from my parents (have a not good relationship with my dad) my F side flourished. Sometimes you need a clean start to let your true self show.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The ISFP baby really is a “cherub” smiling a lot early on -I'm not really sure about this. I should ask my mom... but my memories tell me I was often more frightened by the world to be able to smile about it.

These young ones will touch a lot; these are especially the ones that may bond with a “blanky”, a “binky” (whatever that may be)…very “sensory” children -Yeeeep! I'm still highly attached to my blankets. I keep lots of throw blankets around the house, and throw them on me often, as if it's going to make me disappear.

ISFPs are likely to play with kids smaller than themselves for security motivators -bigger kids always seemed like such bullies.

ISFPs usually like music, painting, drawing, clay, etc….creative ones loving “sensory” pleasures…including bodily sensory pleasures…they will explore quicker than others -Yes! Very early on, I fell in love with my art classes. It was the first time my interest was peaked in school.

The ISFP child is easy-going, flexible, compliant most of the time but will shy away from anger, bullying, yelling, etc. -very much so. I hid a lot, as my dad was a loud and boisterous kind of person.

This child also need alone time -I'd say I was a very quiet and observant type of kid.

The ISFP is the epitome of putting everything in the mouth…oh brother they love it….again sensory -I seem to recall sticking a battery in my mouth once and getting a slight shock. That ended that.

The ISFP may suck their thumbs…need a bottle for longer periods of time….just for sensory satisfaction and security than other types -yeah... I seem to recall having the thumb sucking problem.

ISFPs will usually share their feeling, getting hurt easily, wanting friend, etc. -IDK about this. I never shared any of my thoughts or feelings.

For the adolescent ISFP school is fun…that may be about it….they may underachieve academically due to this
The ISFP adolescent will learn better with a teacher they’ve bonded with in a more one-on-one environment
-I highly agree with this statement. The only classes I really took efforts in, are the ones where the teachers tried to get to know me and also offered encouragement and praise.

They can be wonderful story tellers…natural grasp of the detailed and are dominantly “feeling” and emotional -it actually took me a long time to learn how to tell a good story. I wasn't so natural at it when I was younger.

In High School the ISFP may have difficulty declaring independence…they bond with parents, siblings strongly -Yes! My sister was my only really close friend in high school. And I was a big cuddler with my mom, even in high school. She's also an ISFP. haha.

ISFPs have natural difficulty following/remembering rules, regulations, etc.
-ugh, ugh, ugh. true, true, true.

Speak in “low tones”, softly, gently to your ISFP little one
-I agree with this. My father was always a really scaring man to me, growing up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All I remember is that I used to suck my thumb a lot and had a favorite Minnie mouse doll and blanket. I apparently used to sing all the time. BUT HELL NO TO SPORTS... I guess I was too shy. Now, I prefer exercising on my own. AND HELL NO TO being a great story teller... I could write you a great story but not tell you it. It's so mind boggling to me as to how some people can be such great story tellers. When I tell a story, it all seems boring and not as expressive. (when it really isn't those things!!) T__T But I love listening to people's stories :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
So, I was talking to my mother about me as a child the other day.
She said I refused to play with anyone except my ESTP cousin.
I was also extremely selfish when it came to my things and would hit people and scream if they tried to take my things (i.e. my mother, my pony dolls, my teddy bear)
^Was anyone else like this?

I wanted to post again because I wanted to bold the ones that apply to me. :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just recently realized I'm probably ISFP and came to read ISFP things and started with this... And I'm quite convinced about my ISFPness now since that is exactly like I would have wanted my parents to treat me. And many things still apply. I just love this feeling to actually see what kind of person you really are!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, I wasn't like this at all. Now I'm pretty sure my personality type changed during puberty since I didn't embody most of these traits until adolescence. (I think I might have been a ExFP o_O )

Did anyone else used to be another personality type?? :0
Once again I dig up another thread carcass ;)

I don't think I was another type, I just suppressed it a long time because I had experienced my ISFP skills as ineffective even unwanted in the outer world and also been told I suffered from what was then called MCD (minimal cerebral dysfunction, today much more commonly known as ADD/ADHD).
I have a totally different view on this today, but as a kid that perceived oneself as somehow "wrong" anyway, and also was extremely sensitive, basically being told your brain was defective, but hey! just a bit! was kind of a really hard blow right into the stomach, where you also feel the butterflies. I have this opposite butterflies feeling, which I get when I sense something overwhelmingly emotionally negative is in the process of happening to me and nothing can stop it anymore, it's really hard to describe how it feels, but blow to the stomach is not a bad start.

My father in not to blame, he meant totally well and tried to please my curiousness as gentle as possible but still didn't want to lie about it. He didn't know any better at that time, little people did. Allthough I don't really remember the exact words, this sentence is sometimes still very present at the edges of my mind, and I can even today still feel it working sometimes, despite I know so much more.
Yeah well, this and repeatedly getting in trouble with it led me to totally deny my (outward)sensory seeking impulses and to retreat into myself, where I would pretty much stay the next years. In this time I acted most of the time like an INFP, a shorter period of time more like an ENFP, mainly online. Though my perception of course was still mainly the one of an ISFP.
I do think now however that this period actually made me better, because while in it and restricting the "Se" extremely or turning it inwardly instead, living like an INFP forced me to actually deal with my tertiary intuiton and thereby I believe I trained and enhanced the use of this weakness of mine.
After that failed too, I had another period which led me to act what I now think was an ISTJ, but because of my general mindset at that time and the circumstances not a good one, but a rather amoral, by my REAL standards at least. (It was in this period, in which also fall some other significant events of my life, when I started to think in a more extensive, and what I believe was a more objectively and less feeling based judging and more Te-approach, about me and why I was how I was, starting to really analyze and more important question my thoughts and feelings consciously, not just thinking and feeling them.
Again, I can say now, in a way even this made me better, because I believe it helped me train and learn to use my inferior "Te". As said before he turned a rather amoral and judging fella, but still a much bigger one than he used to be imo, and as I now finally allow me to accept my true nature I'm confident this is also subject to potential change.

One thing I still struggle with though, which I didn't have before my "INFP"-phase, is motivation problems for physical activities that exceed a certain amount of effort. I was totally energetic when I was a child, I remember that, too energetic even. Now it's pretty much the opposite, only sometimes I will have unexplainable days when I feel as energetic as I used to most of the time.

So, after totally getting OT, short story short:
No, I don't really underwent a real personality type change, I just acted some others at times.. From what feelings I have I don't really believe it is possible to fundamentally change a personality type, rather maybe suppressing parts of it so much it comes never out again for the rest of ones life or as a totally different type.. (Which I think is a very very unhealthy and bad idea, if any).

What I want to point out again is, that from every experience, how bad or hard it may be and how pointless and injust it may seem, you can got out better than before, actually I believe the harder the better in some way.

Any thoughts? Any obvious logical flaws? Sometimes I tend to oversee some of those :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts