Personality Cafe banner
3,981 - 4,000 of 10,494 Posts
Rants:

1. So there is this new Ph.D. in our lab this semester. One day he came into the room where my lab partner and I were working. He starts talking to my partner about how his cells are dying and stuff. I interject a few things, and he looks at me briefly, but in the end he just talks to my partner the entire time. I'm like, "Hello? I'm part of this lab, too, you know..." That's the first time I've felt literally ignored in a conversation with someone in a long time. It's probably because my partner came back early from break, so they got to know each other earlier, but still.

My partner and I also had to give a presentation on our findings this far, and a similar thing happened. Everyone looked at my partner when asking questions. Finally, one of the females in the group more clearly asked both of us a question and looked us both in the eye. I mean, I know he's put in more work than me, but I'd still like some recognition here. I feel like part of it is that he's a guy and everyone always just looks to males as the "real" engineers. *sigh*

2. In my leadership class we're learning interesting things, but I feel like the class is too large and filled with too many "leaders" i.e. people who want their voice heard. It's honestly probably the worst place for an ISTJ. I was thinking about answering a couple of questions today, but there are just too many people raising their hands!

Today we learned about the difference between a "manager" and a "leader". (From their descriptions, it sounded like the difference was ST vs. NF.) I would love to know the dominant makeup of the class. So far I know there is an ENFP, 2x ESTJ, and ESFJ. And then lil ol' me. :p

This class is going to be interesting because I feel like this is one class where you have to suck up to the professor and just repeat his ideologies in case studies and homeworks in order to get a good grade.

The funny part is, I'm not even passionate about "leadership", I'm only taking it for the MBTI test. :frustrating:

Rant: I know my professor has Ni and it's rubbing me the wrong way. He's trying to shake our paradigms, but I don't like it. I'm sure from the Ni point of view, it's just trying to see different views. But I see it as "everything that's a part of society sucks." He even showed his point with the Matrix. Today he showed us something that practically made psychology a fake science that scams people for money while screwing with their minds through the use of pills. I realize quite well that there are idiot psychologists that treat with only pills, but calling serious disorders fake and on par with normal emotions is awful and shows how stupid the people who made the documentary are.

Oh, did I mention my professor was a psychology professor?

Rant of the Day: To Hell with it All!

Goodness. Since when does it matter whether so-and-so is still a virgin? Why do people I try to think of as being friends have to gossip behind other people's backs during restaurant convo? Can't we all just get along with each other and not talk behind other people's backs?

Context: I briefly mention this one girl whom I felt judging from what she told me was probably not returning to school. My friend and I joked about how she'd always arrive late to events. But out of the blue, another friend of ours brings up how she dresses in "unflattering" (read: unrevealing) dresses at events and according to other gossipy sources, is still a virgin. What the hell?! Since when is that your business?!

And more importantly, a quote someone posted here a while back rings ever so true. It's true that you should always listen to how people around you talk about others who aren't around, because chances are that that's how they talk about you. That makes me really wary of getting close to these people. Not that I ever considered them my crowd. But I sure as hell am not placing them at the top of my list of people I should try to get to know better.

Count me out. I can do without the gossip every day of the week, especially if I've been a target of it at least once (and I've recently learned that I have been judging from my extrovert's poor choice of words and inability to avoid mentioning past incidents). Leave me out of your crap and don't put me in your looney bin!

:angry:

Rant: My new computer charger's already broken. I'm going to get a new one tomorrow. It hasn't even been a week, I'm definitely getting a free one. Weird thing though, while it was plugged in it stopped working. It also turned off my computer though. I assumed that my computer just ran out of power and turned off. However when I borrowed my housemate's charger, it had a 23% battery capacity. I was so confused. I better make sure it works without a charger.

Rant/Rave (?!): I just bought my first Hermès scarf.

.... AGHHH! What did I just do?!
Oh well. It's an investment. I have been saving for about 6 months to buy one... so at least it wasn't an impulse buy. Well, I knew that I wanted one, but I just hadn't decided on a color or design.

I got a gorgeous red La Promenade de Longchamps. And it's in great condition. Yay! I am sooo freaking excited!

This is what it'll look like:

These things are HUGE, by the way. I am a bit nervous about how I'll be wearing it... it's 90cmX90cm, or 35.5"x35.5". Now all I need is a scarf ring... hrrmmmmm...

EDIT:
Rave: New African Violet photos!

But Enneagram deals with one's motivations for doing stuff (mostly) and MBTI deals more with the thought processes, if that makes any sense.

I think you need to have them both to gain a good understanding of a person's behaviors. I think Enneagram might be a better predictor of people's compatibility.
Wise one, you are! *yoda voice*

I don't prefer one system over the other, though I have learned much more about myself through enneagram. However without learning the cognitive functions, I never would have delved that far into enneagram. For me, they are complimentary, and help form a more complete, larger and nuanced view when combined. The enneagram has brought me much more personal revelation, but viewing the E motivations through my CF functions helps me realize why it was so difficult to figure out my E-type, because my functions skewer the stereotypical preconceptions of the type 3.

The only fault I find with both systems is the inability of a lot of people (myself included) to get past the very blatant and exaggerated descriptions of each type (both MBTI and enneagram) and look at the whole picture, ie. :their preferred functions, their core motivations, the scope of their entire life up until now, etc. etc.

Ok, I'm done :p

Rave: I heard a song in the dentist's office quite a while back. I had no idea what it was, but I was in love with it. Unfortunately, all I remembered was a single lyric that I undoubtedly misheard. I couldn't find it. I didn't even know where to begin looking for it. Then today a friend of mine is playing music, like she usually does, and all of the sudden, out of left field comes that same song. It was a magical moment. The song was "Circle in the Sand" by Belinda Carlisle. (Not that that part matters.)

The song was "Circle in the Sand" by Belinda Carlisle. (Not that that part matters.)
Actually, I heard that song about 542,137,452 times when it was released back in 1988 and while I'm glad that you like it, they played it on the radio TOO DAMN MUCH.
... and now it's stuck in my head.

Rant: Being honest with yourself sucks.

I think I may be an ENFP... I notice much more Ne than Fi in my past behavior (and current behavior TBH) as in, most of my life... I purposely skewered the test results when choosing the I vs. E questions because I was especially bitter and misanthropic over the past year, plus a strong 4 wing was causing me to withdraw and work on my image. I appear to be an erratic mess on this site (if going by my posts is any indication), but in my real life, I have kept up appearances for the most part.

The problem with being the chameleon of the enneagram, is that I was lying to myself and in turn, lying to everyone else whenever I was supposedly being "my most honest."

If it were possible, I would go back and delete every post I have made over the course of my time in PerC, but as that is NOT possible, here I am telling you that I actually do get energized by people, so long as they can reaffirm my talents. I have often thought to myself that I would rather have fans than friends, because I like attention but not putting the work into friendships that they require.

>_< *sigh*

P.S. I don't see this, any of this, as me changing my mind... for me it is a progression, a direction of growth, an expansion of self-knowledge that keeps leading me to possible other conclusions. I know it looks like I cannot make up my mind, but I always reserve the right to change my mind, because nothing is every concrete or unchanging IMO.

I may do a blog post about how I have been disintegrated at each of my fixes, illustrating how that disintegration has affected my actions over the past year. I find it all fascinating :) Sorry to rant here, it felt relevant since I started out as an "ISTJ" and so it is relevant to my journey in a way :)

Rant: Being honest with yourself sucks.

I think I may be an ENFP... I notice much more Ne than Fi in my past behavior (and current behavior TBH) as in, most of my life... I purposely skewered the test results when choosing the I vs. E questions because I was especially bitter and misanthropic over the past year, plus a strong 4 wing was causing me to withdraw and work on my image. I appear to be an erratic mess on this site (if going by my posts is any indication), but in my real life, I have kept up appearances for the most part.

The problem with being the chameleon of the enneagram, is that I was lying to myself and in turn, lying to everyone else whenever I was supposedly being "my most honest."

If it were possible, I would go back and delete every post I have made over the course of my time in PerC, but as that is NOT possible, here I am telling you that I actually do get energized by people, so long as they can reaffirm my talents. I have often thought to myself that I would rather have fans than friends, because I like attention but not putting the work into friendships that they require.

>_< *sigh*
But I think an introverted type 3 could also behave like that.

Rant of the Day: Sometimes I wish I could switch off

There are times when I wish I could be blind to some things. Unable to see events that could be construed one way. Happenings that through simple deductive reasoning could lead me to jumping to a conclusion that's wrong...even though a voice in the back of my head is raising doubts. Example? Seeing a woman who requires at least an hour and a half to come to campus with a man who isn't her fiance. On a Sunday afternoon. Of course they are probably just friends. Maybe even partners on an on-campus club. But I'll be damned. She's emotionally fragile and I've known her to walk the fine line between being loyal and unfaithful. But it's none of my damn business.

:frustrating:

I wish I could just learn to switch off my tendency to combine facts in a way that could lead me to thinking negative thoughts.

I am not especially outgoing.... I was going more by cognitive functions and trying to think outside the stereotypical introverted /extroverted box:)
Well, I guess in that case, look at how much Te vs. how much Si you use to figure out your inferior function. That would probably be easier to figure out than how much Fi vs Ne you use.

3,981 - 4,000 of 10,494 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.