Personality Cafe banner
4021 - 4040 of 10494 Posts

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
@Rhee, @Starling:

I concur. I'm a 1w2 and I believe that in certain situations, that I also like being around people. It's not "the crowd" that I like, because I most certainly do not. However, when I'm in charge of a project, or otherwise in control of a situation, being around people does not bother me as much as it would otherwise. Two examples of that are:
1. When I was in college, I was elected by my peers to be the "union president" of half the class (the other half was the management faction). The Union and Management had to conduct negotiations at the bargaining table and come up with a collective bargaining agreement. I represented my constituents relentlessly and we ended up coming out ahead of where we'd started.
2. When I'm skating. Worst-case is that someone starts to grate on my nerves or makes me uncomfortable ... well then, I can just skate away. Also, I'm fairly comfortable on skates at this point and people NOTICE this, and WANT to come up to you/talk to you. It's part of the package. I respond to this by helping other people get over their fears of being on the floor.

Finally, the cat could be on skates because he's jamming to "Atomic Dog" ... lol ;-)

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
@Sela so do you concur that I may be more extroverted, or that I have a 2 wing? :)

I used to tell my mother she was bitter and alone and had no friends. Didn't know I would be talking about myself.

Anyways, it appears to be a better option to be "introverted" and like being alone than to just be bitter and friendless, right? I dunno. Maybe I got so focused on "things" that I let people fall by the wayside.

On a side not, it would be fun to watch you skate I think!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
@Starling, I'm not the expert in MBTI nor the Enneagram. There are others here better qualified to answer that. Having said that though, my money's on the 2 wing. Thoughts?
I would doubt seriously there are very many experts on this site ;) we're all here to learn, or to pretend we know what we're talking about, right? Maybe I am being presumptuous.

I seriously do not see me having a 2 wing. I can be very personable, but I will not compromise my personal style/substance combo for like-ability. I think with a 2 wing, I would have more friends, not fewer. Here is the contrast quoted from another website:

3w4 can go against the flow when trying to assert themselves. They may do something eccentric to this purpose when leaning on their 4-wing. Kind of alike a 4 trying to dazzle others with their uniqueness and individuality. Not afraid to stand out from the crowd.

3w2 has a distinct 2-ish component that makes them more emotionally attuned to others. They appear warmer, more flexible, less egoistical. They are less likely to act out if it means that they will not be liked. They are more seeking of love, 3w4 - of admiration. From my experience this type unfortunately is also more likely to flip-flop on you and not keep to prior agreement. 3w4 - more dramatic, 3w2 - more sly.
I would not call myself sly - dramatic yes, sly no. As I said in an early post, I like being admired, but I do not seek out love. I would prefer to be on a pedestal and admired from afar than having to actually interact and connect. And when healthy, I do keep my commitments, even if I do not feel like it, because it matters to me that I stay true to my word.

This is the crux of my problem... 3s are outward oriented, 4s are withdrawn. 3s are people pleasers, 4s want to be true to themselves. As a 3, it is easy to "lose yourself" in what you do and essentially become the image you project, and it can cause a lot of inner turmoil when there is that desire (to a lesser extent) to be unique in your presentation. If any of that makes sense.

I promise you, I do not have a 2 wing :) I would love to be warmer, more caring & concerned, etc. It is a struggle for me to engage others in a way that I truly care about what they are going through aside from passing empathy.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Rant: This is not a "type me" thread! Rawr, stoppit >_< I just like working things out in a place where I can bounce around ideas. I don't need a therapist, just a sounding board. Perhaps this is why I never journal, because talking to myself never fully gets me there ;)

Maybe I should move this to the ENFP forum :) Sorry again guys!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Then I have no idea. My previous post was just me thinking out loud.
That's ok :) using that Ne is a good thing ^_^ thanks, I like being challenged to re-examine things. And if you couldn't tell, I am the master of thinking out loud and formulating ideas that don't always quite get there :)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Rant: This is not a "type me" thread! Rawr, stoppit >_< I just like working things out in a place where I can bounce around ideas. I don't need a therapist, just a sounding board. Perhaps this is why I never journal, because talking to myself never fully gets me there ;)

Maybe I should move this to the ENFP forum :) Sorry again guys!
In my experience, ENFPs can be quiet and withdrawn to the point of appearing somewhat introverted because of unhealthy situations, particularly if they are experiencing criticism from someone in their life that they can't avoid. However, their preferences will not change and it would be highly improbable that they would type themselves as an ISTJ.

Due to the INFPs tendency to delve deep within themselves, they can sometimes over think emotional issues and have conflicts such as you are describing.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
In my experience, ENFPs can be quiet and withdrawn to the point of appearing somewhat introverted because of unhealthy situations, particularly if they are experiencing criticism from someone in their life that they can't avoid. However, their preferences will not change and it would be highly improbable that they would type themselves as an ISTJ.

Due to the INFPs tendency to delve deep within themselves, they can sometimes over think emotional issues and have conflicts such as you are describing.
Maybe I am just in a much more creative space lately :) It just seems I am a bit more outgoing than a lot of INFPs. Not that being unusual is anything new for me.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
MBTI is self-reporting, and only you can determine what your own type is. While we may suggest, if some jackwipe comes down the pipe and says "You MUST be this type because of (fill in the blank) and if you think otherwise you're wrong," well, ignore those types.
I understand what you are saying and I know it is the politically correct position, but I just don't know that this is really the case. I do agree that typing others is very difficult over this medium, but it is easier IRL. I know that some are difficult to pinpoint, even IRL, but if you understand MBTI as well as most on this board, you will be able to easily pick out two of the four, and probably three of the four preferences with a fairly limited amount of interaction with an individual. To nail down all four is more difficult and requires interaction in various settings, but it is quite doable given a little time.

So yes, I understand that MBTI is a personal assessment and an inexact science, but there is little doubt in my mind that it is quite possible to type others through simple observation.

BTW, I know it make look like that I've singled out Sela in this reply, but actually this reply is to the board at large. Sela knows that I am her friend and would not intentionally hurt her or embarrass her, so I felt comfortable using her post to address something that I've seen oft repeated and has become generally accepted, but that is not 100% true.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Maybe I am just in a much more creative space lately :) It just seems I am a bit more outgoing than a lot of INFPs. Not that being unusual is anything new for me.
Outgoing is a fair assessment of I vs. E, but you really have to consider personal values, the individual's personal priorities in the situation, and how comfortable the person is in the location and in dealing with the other individuals involved. In my experience, both introverts and extroverts enjoy people and need time in activities allowing interaction with others, but introverts need less of these types of activities (and with fewer people) before they are comfortable withdrawing, while extroverts need to tip the scales toward social activities and tend to be more at ease in larger groups of unknown people.

Also, when evaluating your MBTI preferences, you need to examine a large cross section of your life. We all have areas of interaction where we are more comfortable and therefore are given to more extroverted behavior, just as we all have areas where we feel less certain of our environment and tend to be more withdrawn. By looking at a larger cross section of our life, we can more readily see tendencies or trends in our behaviors and feelings.

HTH

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
BTW, I know it make look like that I've singled out Sela in this reply, but actually this reply is to the board at large. Sela knows that I am her friend and would not intentionally hurt her or embarrass her, so I felt comfortable using her post to address something that I've seen oft repeated and has become generally accepted, but that is not 100% true.
^ This. ... and BTW, it's a great example of how the ISTJ thought process works, IMHO. It's an example to be utilized, nothing more.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking... me an ENFP?! :blushed: I guess I was open to the idea only because I have been facing some other aspects of my personality that I had been denying, and didn't want to leave any out by accident :wink:

@Rhee Thanks for the kind things you said about me, and for recognizing that even though I may be an introvert, I am not necessarily an un-engaging clod haha :)

@Sela Thanks for making me wonder if I have a 2wing... it will forever be in the back of my mind with all the other possibilities :) :tongue:

@niss Thanks for being the voice of reason as usual! And making me realize I am not a misanthropic extrovert... just a misanthropic introvert :laughing:

@ ISTJLand, thanks for letting me totally hijack your rant thread, and keeping any annoyance or judgments to yourselves. You all are wonderful ^_^

Sincerely, still and INFP :crazy:

*goes to look for a cat avatar* :kitteh:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
@Starling - you are most welcome, our latest introvert-recruit. :) You are definitely NOT a clod!
I dunno, we've never talked in person, I might be an excellent clod for all you know!

Hmmm, interesting mix of unicorn-cat-avatar...though I still like my Cheshire Cat one. XD
I thought so... a unique breed like me :D The Cheshire cat is um, lovely, as well :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Rave-

I have been working so hard to try and get my life put together as best I can before I get married. I know my dad is always trying to get me to think about possibilities and desires to get the best out of life. We had a talk last night and I think he finally became aware about how all over the place I am because I want to make him happy... cause I got home tonight and my dad left me flowers and a REALLY nice note encouraging me to do what's best for me and that I should be happy.

I shouldn't still be crying five minutes later over this note... but it's nice to know that I have his support :crying:. Even if I don't necessarily do it in his order. +1000000 for ISTJ awesomeness!!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Fun fact: Drinking protein shakes can strengthen your nails.

I've always gotten broken fingernails every so often. Started drinking a protein shake a few weeks ago and found myself having a hard time clipping my thumb nail because of its rigidity. Come to think of it, I haven't had a split fingernail in a while!

Oh well, enough with that. It's past midnight and I still haven't finished my negotiation assignment. Gotta come up with a kickass gameplan so I can show up my opponent *cough* I mean work with the other side's counsel to come up with a positive outcome to a fictitious negotiation scenario.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Rant: I wrote two thank you e-mails for an interview I had on Monday (with two interviewers. I just realized that I accidentally put the wrong e-mail address on one of the letters (so that I wrote a letter to Mr. Simpson and e-mailed it to Mr. Rice) . I guess I just can kiss that job opportunity goodbye. I thought my interview went well too.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Rant: boiler packed up.

Playing a video game, I was thinking "oooh, it's cold now". saw my mum said it was cold, she said yeah its cold. Saw my dad, he asked me if I was cold, said yeah, he said the boiled has packed up.

4021 - 4040 of 10494 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.