Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a number of ISTP's here who love getting down to the gym.

I'm curious to know (if you go) and how often you attend each week/month, and if you're as strongly protective of your gym time as I am? Plus, what is that keeps bringing you back there?

If you not part of a gym, do you have any other kind of excercise regime?

For me, my aim is to go x3 weekly for an hour each time.

I guess it's all about building up my general fitness and strength (it really improves your general living) and to de-stress myself by getting tired out. I've also got some pretty big goals for my future, including marathon running and mountain climbing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that my main motivation was because of this...

The pollution in this city is so bad that a 'friend of a friend' claims to have developed asthma from regular running outside in the smog.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
The gym is kinda lame. I'd rather do things outdoors. Got a lake near where I used to live that I still like to visit, and I like getting my exercise from the sports I love.

My god ontic, where do you live? Its eastern that's all I know judging the architecture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
During high school I would hit the gym constantly (ridged 5days/wk), but only because I was playing football at the time and the coaches pretty much required us to lift during the off season, and they'd throw in cardio and speed/agility exercises as well. It came in handy also being a sprinter in track.

I stopped that after high school. In college I switched from needing to be physically strong to mentally strong. I would try to go to the gym but would stop after a few days. I just never felt the same need to be in shape as I had to back then. I would be up late studying all the time, and would feed myself whenever I felt hungry to keep myself focused on my studies.

I recently just graduated so I don't have to worry about studying into the early morning. I'm up 30 pounds from when I ended high school. I have been hitting the gym three days a week doing only lifting, but because I don't really have a need to be in top shape, I have been avoiding cardio. I'm pretty flexible about when I go, and don't really care if I skip an extra day.

If I find a hobby I need to be in good shape to do, I'm sure I'd be back to staying in really good shape.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I hate the gym. I'd rather go bike riding or hiking on a nature trail.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The gym is kinda lame. I'd rather do things outdoors. Got a lake near where I used to live that I still like to visit, and I like getting my exercise from the sports I love.

My god ontic, where do you live? Its eastern that's all I know judging the architecture.
I also prefer the great outdoors. There was nothing better than rising at 5.30am to go running through the fields of England in the cool breeze as the sun was slowly rising. Great memories.

Then I moved to China...

I live in Xi'an city, shaanxi province. Home to some 8 million people. It's an amazing place to live in, but the pollution can be quite extreme. Occasionally you see a road runner, but it's risky, especially if you're an asthmatic like myself.

So I joined a cheap gym nearby for 480 kuai (£48/$76) for 1 year's unlimited use for access to a treadmill/weights/other various equipment.

It cracked me up to find that this place also has a large pole dancing room for use as part of the gym fee. Something for everyone ey?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I rather prefer going for a bike ride instead especially during the winter when the temperature falls under -10 C. Crispy clear air at that time and there are mountain side tracks nearby. Also, for "exercise" i play pool for 6-8h a day twice a week.

Quite impartial to the gym myself, never stepped into one but considered going there for a few years.

Reactions: ontic

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Motion and excercise needs to have a direct goal. I'd run to the grocery store or up the metro stairs just for getting there faster. Biking to job or school is okay and playing ball games is fun. Self-defence- kind of training does feel meaningful as well. Jumping up and down in a smelly room with 35 other people beside you and one in front of you shouting .. no, that is not my favorite. Switch the jumping to wheeling motion bikes and it just gets absurd.

I'm picking up a street-y self-defence thingy next week; been waiting for it to start a while now.

Reactions: teabox and ontic

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I like the gym. Due my recently started semester I toned the visits down as I don't feel like unnecessarily driving downtown, I only go about twice a week now as opposed to 3 times (used to go every 2 days, period). My sessions are certainly longer than yours though. It usually takes me 90 to 120 minutes to finish, sometimes longer if I start day dreaming in the process.

Gym is an overall nice place, but I'm not fanatic about it. Also, I wouldn't just go to any Gym, I was lucky enough to find one with a superb environment and no guido douchebags, so it's all really great. As for the reason I'm going, mainly to get a bit in shape as well as exhausting myself physically. Couldn't do without gym anymore now that I've picked it up, don't even know how I managed to sit 10 years on my butt doing nothing before that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a desk job that I sit without moving for 9 hours a day. So yes, I have to go to the gym, I go just about every day for an hour. I alternate between cardio and weights. And watch everything I eat. Especially now that winter is coming. I feel like going to the gym is necessary evil.

My husband and I went to a rock climbing gym for the first time last night and took our lesson. What a blast! It was fun, burned a lot of calories, and didn't feel like the gym torture. It was also good for our relationship as you have to learn to trust your climbing partner. Looking for more indoor type activities for the winter months.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't stand going to the gym. I love lifting, but I hate cardio without a purpose (treadmill, stationary bike, etc) - it's just boring and pointless. I lift at home, and now that the weather has cooled down I'll be outside a lot more to get the exercise I need to stay in shape.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was gonna guess Beijing. Xi'an thats close to where the terracotta army is?

I prefer individual sports for excercise and its mainly just for fun. I do own my own gym equipment but I get bored useing it even with music.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was gonna guess Beijing. Xi'an thats close to where the terracotta army is?

I prefer individual sports for excercise and its mainly just for fun. I do own my own gym equipment but I get bored useing it even with music.
Xi'an is indeed close to the terracotta wariors. Everything around here has something to do with the Tang dynasty or the warriors. It's a big pull for all of the tourists who pass through.

Come to think of it, the best shape I've ever been in was when I was working out at home. Just a pair of dumbells for doing curls and etc etc, situps/pressups, and regular running. It worked really well for me. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I kind of like the gym, but i kind of don't.
I don't mind doing it, but I get lazy sometimes.
The only thing that drives me is that I want to look good and healthy, also build up my stamina again, I just hit the treadmill for about 30 min, then light lifting (like 3 lbs LOL, i'm strong but i don't wanna get bulky), sit ups, and stretching.
that's pretty much my routine every time i work out.

most of the time i will work out like 4-5 days a week for 1 hr for about 1-2 wks straight, then i will end up getting lazy.

i think i've gained like 10 lbs before because i don't really get to do much and i get force-fed by friends and family also...
plus having a slower metabolism really sucks, so i really have to watch my weight. I don't go on diets though, blechk, i just eat what i want in decent portions and drink water, then work it off..

i very much prefer sports though, they're much more fun, since i agree that going to the gym is boring.

I also started indoor rock climbing 4-5 mths ago and have been trying to go regularly about 2-3x a week. Very fun :laughing:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Ive always been seasonal in my regiment... Active late spring through early/mid fall, then the cold air/weather just makes me want to bed down and sleep all day.

As for gyms, the only ones around where I live are the stupid female only membership ones, so I ended up buying a bench set and weight that I barely use. Instead I am usually hiking 3 - 4 times a week for like 10+ miles, and considering im in the mountains, then yeah. Summer I switch to swimming, but I got to be careful. My skin doesnt tan at all (I almost completely lack melanin in my skin) I just burn, so I use sunblock, but I can easily swim all day. During winter though, I have been trying to get into the habit of exercising, even if its just playing DDR for an hour or two a day.

Yeah, I am more into free movement than weight training obviously.

Not weak though, so I am happy with that, but have a tiny gut because I can help but enjoy good food (I enjoy the tastes and textures far too much, so it isn't emotional bing eating or anything, although I do tend to graze, especially if I am bored.) At least I have an extremely quick metabolism to keep up with the intake.

6'6", 205 lbs isn't bad IMO. Only thing is being tall sucks way too much.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ive always been seasonal in my regiment... Active late spring through early/mid fall, then the cold air/weather just makes me want to bed down and sleep all day.
I'm actually the opposite to that. I love the cold winter mornings for going running in. It's also better working out my local gym then as they don't have air con. :(

As for gyms, the only ones around where I live are the stupid female only membership ones, so I ended up buying a bench set and weight that I barely use. Instead I am usually hiking 3 - 4 times a week for like 10+ miles, and considering im in the mountains, then yeah. Summer I switch to swimming, but I got to be careful. My skin doesnt tan at all (I almost completely lack melanin in my skin) I just burn, so I use sunblock, but I can easily swim all day. During winter though, I have been trying to get into the habit of exercising, even if its just playing DDR for an hour or two a day.
I am jealous of your ability to go freely hiking so often. Where exactly do you live?

There's mountaints surrounding my city, but they're a bit of a hassle to get out to. I went a few weeks back and got to see sights like the following.

However this place (Hua shan) is in China, so the route is rather strange to a westerner. The roads up to the top are all paved and kids and parents alike will walk up and down in shorts and shirt. Plus this particular route was rather tame, leading beside a stream. Not the usual hiking experience for sure...

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'm actually the opposite to that. I love the cold winter mornings for going running in. It's also better working out my local gym then as they don't have air con. :(

I am jealous of your ability to go freely hiking so often. Where exactly do you live?

There's mountaints surrounding my city, but they're a bit of a hassle to get out to. I went a few weeks back and got to see sights like the following.

However this place (Hua shan) is in China, so the route is rather strange to a westerner. The roads up to the top are all paved and kids and parents alike will walk up and down in shorts and shirt. Plus this particular route was rather tame, leading beside a stream. Not the usual hiking experience for sure...

I live in northeast Pennsylvania. Yeah I know, I am an American...

basically pics of the local areas I hike, and the pics basically being my backyard. The last pic is a perfectly natural Ice Age formation so yeah, It may look out of place.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I used to love being the gym and went 4-5 times a week to lift weights. I stopped after I started working 16-20 hours days running my own business (long since past) and just haven't gotten my ass back into gear. I really need to, though. I'm starting to get a little more round that I'd like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm too anitsocial to go to the gym. I live in shit weather so I end up doing Burpees in my basement to stay in shape. I like them alot actually.

I play racquetball but thats more because I love racquetball than because I need exercise or something.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts