Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
i know this is an unusal one......!
but i am in a serious relationship with an ISTP thats having some struggles. While he has been a very strong partner through a personal tragedy of my own, he has been going through a lot, and he isnt a big talker (surprise surprise!!!). after going around in circles, he has told me he thinks its time to go and see someone. being of a very logical thought process, i think that bouncing thoughts off of a third party may be very beneficial to him. problem is we are in a regional area, it is not all that easy to access such help. but i do know a brilliant hypnotherapsit in the area, who has been very helpful to me.

so here in lies the question......i was just wondering if any of you ISTPs have ever had much to do with hypnotherapy, and if it appeals to your thought process at all......before i suggest it to my partner!

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
To me personally, logically, hypnotherapy sounds absolutely ridiculous (no offense).

·
Registered
689 Posts
To me personally, logically, hypnotherapy sounds absolutely ridiculous (no offense).
Hypnotherapy isn't actually all that out there.
There are physiochemical and physical changes(Breath rate, heart rate, etc) that occur when people move into a trance state.

As a matter of fact, people even move into trance states when they're driving.

This just makes the subconscious much easier to contact/influence.
Honestly, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't call it total hullabulloo either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense taken.........i know it works for me, but it works because i can allow myself to be led into the right state of mind to receive what i am hearing. without that, hypnotherapy is useless! hence the question, is an ISTP capable of receiving this sort of concept....

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
i know it works for me, but it works because i can allow myself to be led into the right state of mind to receive what i am hearing. without that, hypnotherapy is useless! hence the question, is an ISTP capable of receiving this sort of concept....
Exactly, you have to be willing to let someone into your mind. ISTPs don't even like other people in their house, let alone their mind.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hypnosis isn't "out there" at all. It just doesn't work on everyone.
Oh, of course!

And about the above question, I'm honestly not sure.
I've been meditating for years and can put myself into states-of-mind pretty easily. Not sure about other ISTPs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly, you have to be willing to let someone into your mind. ISTPs don't even like other people in their house, let alone their mind.
ha ha, yeh....dont i know it! you arent natural talkers, but at some point everyone has to vent. the issue isnt as much about not talking about his stuff as taking on everyone elses as a diversion. i guess using the back door into his mind seems like a possible help...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, of course!

I've been meditating for years and can put myself into states-of-mind pretty easily. Not sure about other ISTPs.
actually, he is the one who put me onto meditation....... i always had trouble with never being able to slow down my mind, always worrying constantly causing anxious reactions. then my father passed away, and he didnt know how to help so he suggested i try meditation, he used to practice martial arts & it helped him then........so if he can place faith in other 'new age' therapies like meditation & visualisation.....you never know what he might say to seeing a hypno

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I've been meditating for years and can put myself into states-of-mind pretty easily.
Would you let someone else do it? Speaking for myself, I'm very resistant to hypnosis. I only know because I took a course in it once, as an elective. The teacher demonstrated some techniques on us, and just being forced to sit still was too much for me. I had to get up and run laps around the campus, just to shake off that horrible trapped feeling.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Hypnotherapy isn't actually all that out there.
There are physiochemical and physical changes(Breath rate, heart rate, etc) that occur when people move into a trance state.

As a matter of fact, people even move into trance states when they're driving.

This just makes the subconscious much easier to contact/influence.
Honestly, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't call it total hullabulloo either.
Hypnosis isn't "out there" at all. It just doesn't work on everyone.
Hmmm, I'll have to wiki and google it. Never too late to learn something new.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Run the idea by him and see what he thinks. He may or may not be down.

madhatter: I suggest reading up on Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
It's like reading the intricacies of the subconscious mind, without actually knowing the contents of the individual's subconscious mind.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm a dork...the thing that peaked my interest the most was the linguistic aspect...no surprise, it is my major.

Reactions: cbelle

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
No! Nobody is messing with my brain! I think it would be good to talk through ideas with someone but not through the subconcious. I find it hard to relax while someone is telling me what to do.
I'm also way more open to discussing things through writing than talking. So maybe there is some sites on the internet where he can discuss things? Although a lot of online people or therapists could be suspect. Well, I suppose there's no harm in suggesting hypnotherapy to him.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Various extroverts try to use hypnosis in what is called 'lieing'. Those that get good at manipulating people [snip].

End of story.

·
Registered
85 Posts
actually, he is the one who put me onto meditation....... i always had trouble with never being able to slow down my mind, always worrying constantly causing anxious reactions. then my father passed away, and he didnt know how to help so he suggested i try meditation, he used to practice martial arts & it helped him then........so if he can place faith in other 'new age' therapies like meditation & visualisation.....you never know what he might say to seeing a hypno
I've used techniques like that to help other people too. I still don't think I could let my guard down enough to follow someones lead very fully though, even if I tried. I'd be too afraid they'd mess something up, even if only accidentally. I don't think it would hurt to ask him what he thought about trying it though and just let him mull it over, since he knows other options may be a bit limited at the moment. If he does know that he really needs help then that realization may allow him to let it be able to work for him. But it still may be too difficult for him to let down his guard in that way. In my own case I'm honestly not sure which way it'd go under those circumstances either.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Oh, of course!

By "states-of-mind" do you mean emotional? Or just placing yourself in others' shoes? I'm curious.

·
Registered
689 Posts
By "states-of-mind" do you mean emotional? Or just placing yourself in others' shoes? I'm curious.
Bit of both.
I've got a whacked-out high Fi for an ISTP.
It makes making decisions a bit harder due to the conflicting Ti/Fi but I got used to it.

The benefit of this is that I can also snuff out my emotions in an instant. Most of the time I opt to not do so unless a situation arises where I decide it would benefit myself and others to do so.

Edit: Btw, this also has the tendency to confuse others and make them think I'm all ENFJish. lol

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I tried it when I quit smoking.

I spent every session taking it apart in my head thinking "yes... I seebhow this could work..."

I just couldn't NOT analyze what was going on long enough to be put under.

The poor woman eventually just gave me my money back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts