Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure that for most ISTPs, whether it's because we're too lazy or just want to keep the peace, we don't usually say everything we really want to say. So, how about it? What did you really want to say in some recent situation?

A recent one for me:

Setting: Trying to resolve a conflict with my ENFP sister, I called her out on something she did that was pretty shitty.
What she said in response: "Well, I think you should just start expecting emotional responses from me."
What I wanted to say: "Well then you should start expecting rational responses from me."
What I actually said: "That doesn't really justify what you did." (Boring.)
Why I didn't say it: It would have been solely for my own amusement and would have just pissed her off. :mellow:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think what you wanted to say would have been a completely appropriate response.

But why didn't you say it? I think your reasons don't adequately get to the core. Sometimes pissing people off temporarily is more productive in the long run than leading them on with something merely appeasing and 'politically correct'.

I'm not one to beat around the bush. Usually, I either say what I want to say or don't say anything at all. I don't often regret being up-front, but there are exceptions.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Quite common ones are "Answer the goddamned question." and "I don't care, so please shut up now." Can't really think of any specific examples for now but I'm sure I'll be bak on this thread at some point.

·
Registered
198 Posts
More often than not I want to tell people to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut. I like my job more than I like unemployment, though, so I hold it in.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Setting: Playing beer pong with this girl at a party I had at my house for once. She said something about blow jobs, but I can't remember exactly what.
What I wanted to say
: I'm not really sure, probably something like "It's a great skill to have that many men around the world are lucky enough to receivefrom generous women, I hope the men in your life appreciate it."
Why I didn't say it: I was drunk.

What I actually said
:You're probably good at it.
What I should have said:
Nothing.

I said it in front of everyone and didn't think a damn thing of it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Setting: Roommate ate a gift that was for 'us' (It was primarily for me), acted unappreciative, acted like no one ever gives her food (I had cooked her dinner multiple times).
What I wanted to say: You're a fucking asshole
What I actually did: A sad smile

Still not happy about that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Setting: Picking up drunk girl I hardly know from bar who said she needed help. Turns out she was just bored and didn't want to wait an hour for her friends. She said I looked "bored and annoyed".
What I wanted to say: Damn right I am, you alcoholic idiot.
What I actually said: Well.... (Internal struggle about if I should be polite or not).. Yeah. I am.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't normally hold back what I want to say, it's just the way I say it could have been said better in hindsight.

Setting: Working on a job. Partner refused to go into the house to grab our damn equipment because he felt like he didn't have permission. I clearly told him that the owner said we're allowed in the house because that's where our tools and equipment are. So I had climb down the house from the roof even though the damn guy was right at the front door and get our equipment.
He said: I don't want to go inside, I don't know them that well. You can get it and I'll work on whatever you're doing
What I wanted to say: You're not making very effective use of the little time we have.
What I said: You're being terribly inefficient
Why I didn't say it: I probably wouldn't be able to hold myself from kicking the guy off the job. It was only him and I working and I could not afford to do the entire job myself.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
Setting: Getting my ass ripped for the third time in two days at work. This time happened to be over not being a "high quality trainer" and not replacing a piece of paper on a binder to reflect a regulation update.
What they said: You know AS, I'm just.... disappointed in you.
What I wanted to say: You know what JD, I don't give a flying fuck if you're disappointed in me. First off, you're not my dad, so your approval doesn't mean jack fucking shit in the first. Secondly, the affect of that comment wore off around the fiftieth fucking time you used it.
What I actually said: I'll get right on it.
Why: Not worth the IMMENSE amount of paperwork and blowback that comment would have caused. I'm already permanently on the shit list. Seriously, EVERYbody at my work knows it. It's a running joke among everyone that isn't upper staff. I'm not joking when I say that my old supervisor would buy me a beer every week I didn't get called into the CCTLR's office... I only ever got maybe a dozen beers over the course of about 8 months.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How shit their tattoos are

·
Registered
416 Posts
Things I wanted to say to multiple people (sorry can't remember a specific time):
"Oh my god.... you are so fucking stupid.. "
"I don't care, I just don't... please stop talking to me."
"Try and use your brain this time"
What I actually say: nothing because my mouth gets me in trouble haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Setting:An employee is receiving harassing sales calls and as a security officer I have to call the harasser and tell him to stop calling.

What I said: Sir, please stop calling our company. We are not interested in your products.

What I wanted to say: Listen shit ball, if you ever call her again I will kick your ass seven ways from Sunday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
People who think they know me: I know you so well cause I've known you for (insert time frame here), so that's how you are.
What I said: I bet you do, I mean you said so so it must be true.
What I really wanted to say: No you don't, you most likely never will, because I don't care enough to let you know shit about me.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
Setting: today was my birthday and my wife made a glorious dinner for me. But she timed it so that it'd be done at 6, when I'm ALWAYS let go to get dinner, and time has never been an issue. Today, I was told to get dinner at 5 and I had to bitch to be let go an hour later. Anyway, enjoyed a magnificent dinner and I got back to work 20 minutes "late". I say "late" because we normally get a two hour break, instead of 40 minutes I got today.
WTS: why are you late?
WIWTS: I was getting a birthday blowjob and I didn't cum as fast as I normally do.
WIAS: Got nothing for ya sir.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
There's always a situation like this at work.
Coworker/partner/client: "Can you hurry with this...blah blah blah...Philadelphia office doesn't do any work...[spewing more bullshit]"
What I said: "Yes, we are working as hard and as fast as we can, given the circumstances..."
What I wanted to say: "Fuck you"

Most of the time when I'm not at work, I'm pretty blunt and straight forward. I actually got called out on this and the people who are closest to me said that I am mean and a bitch. My brother said, "there's a difference between not sugarcoating something and just being mean." Whatever. Apparently, I'm mean.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ha! I hold my tongue more than I speak. With my fellow ISTP friend, he not only understands, it's a source of humor.

Earlier in the day he told me he had an accident while welding. A piece of hot steel flew into the corner of his eye (no eye protection) searing his lacrimal gland. His response, "I can't cry in this eye even if I wanted too". This garnered a "heh" chuckle from us both.

Couple hours later we were eating pho and he had a lot of siracha in his. He accidently dropped his spoon into the soup causing some of it to get in his eye. He was in obvious discomfort and got up to rinse his eye out. My response was to continue eating. When he got back I said, "Whats the outcome? You burn your other eye now?" *continues eating*

he goes, "such a fucking dick, vroom." then proceeds to laugh. I did as well.

Now, I really meant that as "what's the prognosis?" But immediately after I was grateful he "got" it. I then realized how I might sound to others and was like *gulp* :/

:)

·
Banned
1,509 Posts
You know it's amazing the kinda of restraint ISTPs have to pull to keep us from ending up on the floor with two new shades of black.
Hell it's even worse since they will constantly think about it. Choosing the most careful words to use but allowing the sting to feel just as powerful.

Of course if you haven't developed your Inferior E you better have some muscles to back them up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Eh, I have too many of those moments. Then afterwards I reflect and go, "damn, I should've said this instead of that". Causes miscomunication usually... Then I can't get it off my mind, then next time I talk to the person I try to clear up the miscomunication but sometimes I fail to express, which leads to more thinking, then another attempt to clear the miscomunication, then I just give up assuming this person has long since forgot about it which frees me from thinking about it.

Just happened very recently, multiple times, different situations, with the same person. Won't go into detail though or provide a specific example lol but I've already found the solution to how I can prevent the problem. No longer will I filter my thoughts, second guess, or overthink what I want to say because that tends to make me nervous. For now on, I will just say whatever pops into my mind, when I need to.

·
Registered
715 Posts
situation: someone was telling me a (rather boring) story, i zoned out.
storyteller: blahblahblahsomething... do you know what a [something] is or should i explain?
WIWTS: it doesn't matter, either way you're going to bore me with details about something i have absolutely no interest in.
WIS: i got a basic idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts