Discussion Starter #1
Is it right?

Ti: does it fit my understanding?
Te: has it been measured to be right?
Fi: does it feel right?
Fe: does it make anyone happy?

[HR][/HR]

Example #1: Is Astrology true?

Ti: I believe the laws of physics, and those are not consistent with astrology.
Te: Astrology does not make accurate predictions according to this study, so it is not true.
Fi: Astrology doesn't feel right. [Or maybe, astrology does feel right]. This could be determined, for example, by judging the people who do astrology to be dishonest or honest. Or maybe by judging from an experience where you had a strong emotional experience involving astrology, like crying.
Fe: People like astrology, and I know a friend who chose his wife based on Astrology and now they are really happy. [Note: You hear this kind of thing on Oprah a lot.]

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Feelers don't just decide everything in their life based on feelings. Like, if you give them a multiplication to do or something, they don't go 'well, which answer would make people the most happy?'. They just use whatever maths they know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feelers don't just decide everything in their life based on feelings. Like, if you give them a multiplication to do or something, they don't go 'well, which answer would make people the most happy?'. They just use whatever maths they know.
This is a straw man.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
This is a straw man.
No it isn't. What are you saying in your original post? 'When deciding whether something is right or not, an Fe type will decide by working out whether it makes people happy or not'. I used that exact idea but simply with a different example to expose the absurdity of your idea, which is not a straw man fallacy. I didn't change or exaggerate your original argument in any way, I just provided a new example.

I needn't have bothered though. Let's go with your astrology example. Feeling functions don't deal with what's 'true or false'. Feeling functions deal with values, and whether something is good or bad etc. Feeling doesn't care about true or false, it cares about value, so you don't have a feeling function determining whether something's true or not - that's left to thinking. So with a strong feeling person, they will either go 'I don't care whether astrology is true or not, but it is helpful to people so it is a good thing', or they'll draw on their thinking or previously amassed knowledge to work out whether it is actually true or not.

So saying 'this is how Fe or Fi determines what is true or false' doesn't work, because that is not what the feeling functions do at all.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I believe the laws of physics, and those are not consistent with astrology.
ONE: A scientific belief and a scientific law are two different things. It's contradictory to say "I believe in the laws of [scientifically quantified group of laws here]."

TWO: Astrology is the idea that celestial bodies affect our behavior. They do, it's Chaos Theory. One whose understanding of the universe consists of the Laws of Physics would know that Astrology and the Laws of Physics are consistent with each other.

THREE: Scientific laws are not all-encompassing. They describe a certain aspect of our environment. Newton's Laws of Motion, for example, don't always work. They just work with a LOT of things around us. If we throw a ball, it doesn't just stop for no reason. For the most part, it makes sense, but there are often exceptions to scientific laws.

FOUR: It's just occurred to me that correcting you like this kinda fits your definition of Ti. You're welcome!

FIVE: I have, like, moderate OCD. I like multiples of five. Five words each sentence here. I need two more sentences. This is the fifth sentence.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

TWO: Astrology is the idea that celestial bodies affect our behavior. They do, it's Chaos Theory. One whose understanding of the universe consists of the Laws of Physics would know that Astrology and the Laws of Physics are consistent with each other.
I thought Astrology was the notion that humans can accurately interpret or predict the consequences of extra-terrestrial arrangements in a manner that is personal to a specific group of people, and can accurately determine who those people are.

I don't doubt consequences. I doubt peoples' interpretation of consequences, among other things. And baseless superstition that stretches credibility far beyond breaking point.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I thought Astrology was the notion that humans can accurately interpret or predict the consequences of extra-terrestrial arrangements in a manner that is personal to a specific group of people, and can accurately determine who those people are.

I don't doubt consequences. I doubt peoples' interpretation of consequences, among other things. And baseless superstition that stretches credibility far beyond breaking point.
I dunno, I just looked it up really quick and the dictionary said that it's about us being affected by celestial bodies. We are very much affected by celestial bodies. I'm sure if I looked more into it, I'd find a lot of flaws in it. Like with Scientology. Have you been to their website? My friend, she went there because she really just wanted to know and she kept getting either complicated or biased definitions. People knowing too much and not explaining it like they're explaining it to a 5 year old, which would be helpful for a non-Scientologist, or people just angry at Scientology explaining it.

So, while the website would be biased, it would be the source. She went there, and she later called me, laughing. "There's pretty much no information on here." They say they're all about world peace and the like.

Like every other religion.

NO attempts to distinguish themselves. Just "We want everyone to love each other" and shit. Well, no shit. As I studied more and delved deeper, it soon became very apparent to me that Scientology was really, really messed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts